Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom lights

Options
  • 23-10-2022 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I am after buying an old house and am hoping I can have either one of those bright shaver lights installed over the mirror or a led mirror installed. For an electrician how do i go about this, do i call one first to see if its possible or can i buy the lights and the led mirrors and get them in to do the fittings? There are no lights like this in the bathrooms currently. I hope i am making some sense. Any advice welcome, i see LED mirrors online for 200-500 euro. Or would it be more usual to order them through the electrician? I am clueless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, if this is an older house then the situation could be complicated! But you're right to ask as nobody wants to end up paying for wasted time.

You should initially ascertain whether it's possible to route cables to the area behind the mirror. If it's a stud-wall (hollow sounding) then look for power sockets around the far side of the wall. If it's a solid or exterior wall then you may have to use trunking over the wall and bring the new wire down from the attic. The electrician will likely need to install a safety device on the circuit, this will add to the work required, but is necessary as it's a bathroom.

Normally you source/buy the mirror yourself and then call an electrician to install it, but in your case I'd recommend that you have an electrician quote you for the work first, then get the mirror. Just keep the mirror in it's packaging and retain the receipt just in case there's an issue. You might also think of any other electrical jobs which need completion as electricians can be busy just now and might not want to quote for smaller jobs.

Advertisement