Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy fresh chestnuts in Dublin

• 23-10-2022 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all, does anyone know where I could buy fresh chestnuts in the Dublin area?

I used to find them at some Lidl and sometimes M&S in the city centre until a few years ago. I haven't been able to find them there lately. I have occasionally found some at some Polonez or other foreign food store, but very old and bad quality.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not seen them anywhere on sale.

In olden days you could go to a park with the trees and take them down by throwing sticks up at them, now that would probably get you a month in Mountjoy. St Anne's Park in Raheny has lots of them.

Id often see them freshly fallen after a storm too, no idea of the edibility of them, never tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

Got some at Lotts & co a few days ago. The South Lotts st one, but I think they have a couple other locations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Those are horse chestnuts. Eating chestnuts are different (and very good)

Maybe Fallon and Byrne would have them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cheers, I might have ended up trying them and doing myself some damage 😁.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

There were sweet chestnuts in parks in the last few weeks, all over the ground. We saw an elderly man with a bag looking through the shells, most of which were empty. We were too late to harvest them as the squirrels got there before us, probably just as well really as they need them more than we do. You need to be able to tell the difference between horse chestnuts and sweet chestnuts though. If you read up on them you should be more informed for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You can usually get them in the artisan grocer style places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Firstly horse chestnuts (conkers) are poisonous, do NOT eat them!

Secondly, while there are plenty of sweet chestnut trees around Ireland if you know where to find them, you rarely find any chestnuts of any size that are worth picking. I don't know why, maybe it's down to our climate or something.

Dunlaoghaire Sunday market- People Park- Vegetable stall - had them 2 weeks ago, if that helps but as others said, artisan veg suppliers will likely have them too and Fallon and Byrne or maybe Avoca food could be good bets if close by

PS- Dunaloghaire market also had the most delicious roasted almonds - expensive mind but wow such a treat- well recommended - get double what you think you'll eat- trust me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

In Cork, the Polish supermarkets have them. My Portuguese friends buy them in Mercury cash and carry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lidl have them at the moment.

Kinda expensive and a bit dried up looking, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Fresh Market in Marino have them.

Advertisement