Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much would need to be done to get from C2 to B3

• 23-10-2022 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We purchased a dormer house three years ago. It was BER C2 when we bought. Since then we have pumped the walls, put another full layer of insulation in attic, changed back and front door and installed a new triple glazed french door and picture window in our kitchen/living room. Would that get us to BER B3. We want to reach that so I can change to a green mortgage.

We have underfloor heating downstairs and rads up but out boiler would be on its last legs. Windows in house would be basic double glazed.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

unlikely, you probably need either a change to a condensing boiler, or addition of pv panels, or both.

have you the test certificates and letter of supply from the window / door manufacturers?

read this:

https://www.seai.ie/blog/ber-checklist/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How did the house manage to get a C3 with inadequate insulation in walls and roof, and low grade windows and doors? The right BER assessor might make a difference, the wrong one might conclude that it should not have been C3 in the first place! The boiler would definitely make a difference. Things like light bulbs can make a difference too. Dormers are usually a problem as they are almost impossible to retrofit with insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

The estate agent had it at C2 when we bought, we've just gone off that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've got a C3 with no wall insulation. Cavity blocks rather than single skin breeze blocks, but still. Terraced house, double/triple glazing, decent attic insulation, fully LED lighting, brand new condensing boiler, zoned etc.

Whether another assessor would agree is not something I'll look for a decision on until that cert has expired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I did all the same upgrades as you except windows but instead installed 4.5kWp of solar panels, I went C2 to B1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Thanks. Might do something similar and it will hopefully get me over the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭dbas

you could track down the assessor that did your BER and ask them to open your deap file and check how much PV it would take to get your house to B3. They'd do it if they did the revised ber afterwards.

Advertisement