Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to destroy famous paintings because fossil fuels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Are you pretending to be slow - nothing was damaged.

all protest movements cause colateral damage - the question is whether the cause is important enough

you obviously think that it is not I think that it is.

Would you like other examples of where important protest movements inconvenienced people

Why do you think that this one is not important? (enough)?

You realy have no idea why someone threw paint on a painting

can I (not patranisingly) direct you back to comment no. #246 where I explained it slowly as best I could

then rejoin the conversation when you reckon that you know what is going on👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

so far the greens. No sense of Irony.

Oil is running out. Actually it was not.

Stop cutting down the amazon. Moved to plastic. Plastic bad. Ok Paper straws.

Petrol bad. Ok use Diesel. Oh wait that's worse.

The worlds going to burn down. But I thought the ice caps were melting and we are going to be underwater.

Don't use Nuclear why ? they could explode Nuclear Armageddon.

You need to move to electric cars. But don't the create more carbon than just driving an SUV around anyway.

We also need to use less electricity. You also need heat pumps and plug in electric cars to the grid.

There is plenty more.

Yes it is complicated

can I suggest that you focus on a couple of small things

we need to reduce our use of fossil fuels urgently it IS causing damage

Renewables is the cheapest way to make electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I know exactly why it was done but these people won't win any friends.

Approx 2 years ago i watched all the Secondary school students in my area march around the town to highlight climate change. It was around the time of one of Gretta's protests, Afterwards they all converged on the chippers. You'd want to see the state of the street after them. Litter everywhere. They certainly got their message across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You’ll really enhance your argument by attempting to throw childish insults. 😅

the frame, had to be taken for cleaning, repairing and decontamination.

all protest movements cause colateral damage ? No, they simply do not. Disney time on your behalf to think so.

Dont bite my head off - you said that you did not know what was going on????

That is a terrible story - if the children did that on your street maybe we should let this plannet burn🤣😂

Is that it?😂

Did I ask you if you have seen the film Dont look up?

Do you have any pictures of the damaged frame?😪Will it be ok?

Do you reckon that we could get another plannet if we burn this one?🤣

Have you seen Dont look up

Do you know what a pearl clutcher is?

it's not complicated at all. Greens are the ones lurching from one thing to another. Usually making it worse. I am a firm believer that Government cannot take care of this issue. There only idea is tax and stick. It will be the private sector who will come up with the solutions.

No… but I’ll take what I read from respected news sources as fact unless I’ve reasons to believe otherwise. 🫢

do you reckon people should just attack the property of others because they don’t like certain social and environmental trajectories that the planet and some of its inhabitants are on ? That’s part of a ‘solution’ ? 😬🤪😉

• Advertisement

From your mouth to gods ears- lets hope👍️

Sorry if it came across as biting yourf head off. I was just pointing out a bit of hypocrasy as I see it.

No I have not seen that film.

No I dont - but i think that we both know that is not what happened

Now its your turn to answer a question

Have you a better suggestion as to how to draw attention to the impending disaster of climate change?

Attention has and is already been and being drawn to it ! Are you living under a rock ? 😬 climate change isn’t exactly an international secret.

these people are simply thugs unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Climate change whether its man made or not - who knows - is a smoke screen in my opinion.

Its there to divert our eyes from the elephant in the room. Nobody must ever look at the capitalist system.

A system that requires unbridled production & consumption. That makes us comb through the farthest reaches of the planet for resources to make more sh1t that nobody needs just to keep that idiocy of ever lasting growth alive. Ever faster, ever more, tching-tching is all that matters and f* the rest..

Even if one does not agree with the above. Between desctruction of the environments and wildlife, pollution of the airs and seas, extinction of countless species, disappearance of insects - the list goes on and on - climate change isn't even our biggest ecological problem. If it even is man made which has a very big IF in front of it.

Believe me Not everyone is as aware of the impending disaster as you are

and many are treating it as though it is not important

How serious of a threat do you understand it to be? and what do you think should be done about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The danger with groups like this is that they type cast the entire green issue, the climate issue as one solely of and for the upper classes, never mind the Middle class.

I'm sure that they see themselves as very serious people.

I am sure you are right - the climate disaster will only effect certain classes 😂

are you taking drugs?🤣

When and what form is this disaster going to arrive ?

• Advertisement

And because a couple of violent creeps start attacking artwork that will make everyone enlightened 🤪

yes, if history has thought us anything, thuggery, bullying and vandalism will sort it… 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭redoctober

I would say consumerism rather than capitalism. The difference is that many people believe they are not capitalist while I think we can visually all say that we are consumers and consumerist. The great irony is that you will see many shout loudly about the climate while failing to see their own role in the greater scheme. We're all consuming at a crazy rate and many western jobs are all about increasing that exponentially. If we're serious about the planet we have to go back to a simpler way of life. Otherwise we're just playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'd didn't say it would effect only one class but groups like this, with upper class activists dominating will pigeon hole the entire movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Eh, no. Not really.

People of the future may be discussing how stopping "damage" from using fossil fuels contributed to much worse lithium and cobalt environmental catastrophe as that is where we are heading full steam...

Well the bonus side effect with heavy metals is probably fertility rates. 🤪 But cancer for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Extreme weather events are not a new phenomena, they are as much a part of our planets climate as night and day or the ebb & flow of the tide. It's the fact that they are not a regular occurrence that makes them stand out. Of course us humans have the technology now to record and report on these events from all corners of the globe. For obvious reasons there's very little records of extreme weather events before 1750's. There is, for example, a reference of a great flood in the old testament of the Bible. Bear in mind that 500 or a 1000 years is just a nano second re. the age of planet earth.

During, what is called the medieval warm period, - roughly 800 to 1200 AD the average temperature rose 3 to 5 degrees. When the Roman Empire expanded to England they brought with them grapes and grew them successfully for over 250 years until the temperature dropped back again. This ''warm period'' was followed by what climatologists call 'the little ice age' that lasted from 14th to 19th century. This is a period of long and severe winters with storms, snow blizzards, severe frosts etc. that affected mostly Europe and North America. The Thames river in London used to freeze over every winter, Christmas fairs, markets etc. used to be held on the frozen river.

The moral of the story is that our climate is ever changing, in fact due to it's very nature it cannot stand still even for a nano second although we humans many not always notice this as we're on the planet for such a short period - less than 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

oh ok, so the whole man made climate change thing is a hoax? or do you know something the scientists don't?

I am overcome with Emulsion reading all this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You are the one making the claim, how about you put forward some solutions to the problem and stop asking everyone else?

Or is it that the best solution you have is to throw things at paintings?

Do you drive a car? I don't, I cycle everywhere. See, active participation in helping with the problem.

Should I really be down at the National Gallery throwing things at The Taking of Christ instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There is no impending destruction of the planet. Not even close.

Advertisement