Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax issue

• 24-10-2022 7:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Got a letter the other day in the Post to say i had under paid for the year 2020...the amount was just over 800 euro.....

its my employer who should have done and paid this return. I don't work for that employer anymore

Can anyone advise me on what is the best way to approach this as it says that they will take it back over 4 years by tax credits etc

Any advice will be appreciated

Brian

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There’s not much you can do. You’ll have to pay it and it doesn’t really matter who’s fault it was.

800 over four years is less than €4 a week.

If you’ve any unclaimed expenses for the last 4 years, put them in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

It's not actually your employer's responsibility to ensure your taxes are correctly paid, they only have info on what they pay you, nothing else.

This is likely to be tax owed on PUP you claimed during the pandemic.

As Dodge said, look into what you can claim back over the past four years and submit it so you can hopefully offset this against the amount you owe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

Hi

Was never on the PUP ..Just cant understand how i owe it to be honest... Would getting an accountant involved be of any use???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod Note - OP this is probably a more suitable forum for your tax issue.

Local charter now applies.

Hilda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭deeks

If I had to guess I would say your employer availed of the TWSS subsidy in relation to your salary in 2020. This income was not taxed at source but was a taxable source of income.

Assuming this is the case you have no real options other than to pay it over by having your credits reduced. Some employers did pay the TWSS liability on behalf of their employees but they are not obliged to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Utterly no point getting an accountant unless you've additional income to declare or want to pay someone to do something that you could do yourself in 10 minutes. Did the letter advise you to file returns? If it did then file them as the underpayment amount is preliminary figure based on the information Revenue hold. If you file returns for the last few years claiming any additional reliefs/credits you are entitled to then the underpayment amount may lessen. And has already been stated ultimately the taxpayer is responsible for their own tax affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Also, you can phone the number on the letter to ask Revenue for further information on how the liability arose.

Advertisement