Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MR16 to GU10

Options
  • 24-10-2022 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

our house has MR16 downlights installed and i want to replace them with GU10 fitting, do i need to remove the transformer or can i just change the Tail with the different fitting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,113 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have to remove the transformer, GU10 is mains. If there's a transformer per light you can connect the tail to what was the mains supply for the transformer; but if you had multiple lights per transformer you'll need to replace the wiring out to the lights too as it won't be mains suitable.

I'm not sure if the latter scenario is covered by the works that can be done by a non registered electrician as it is wiring rather than just replacing an existing fitting.

Advertisement