Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure AirTag cases

Options
  • 24-10-2022 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any AirTag cases that lock the battery cover in?

Currently using the plastic Belkin ones on my car keys, and four times in the past year I’ve arrived home to find that the back cover and the battery has fallen out. Lost the back covers completely on two occasions, latest occasion being this morning. Spend the day travelling around Cork and Limerick yesterday, so it could be anywhere. I know there’s sellers on eBay selling the back covers, but I’m not inclined to stay using the AirTags if this keeps happening.

Actually once, my wife lost the keys when she was away for the day. Pinged the AirTag and it said its last location was in the house. She eventually found the keys 40km away the old fashioned way - calling into pubs and shops to see if they had been handed in. When she got them back, the tag (the blue one above) was missing it’s cover and battery, rendering it completely useless for finding the lost keys.

Between that, the inability to share tags across a Family account, and the constant notifications I’m getting saying the battery is low (with fresh batteries - ones without the bitter coating), I’m pretty much ready to give up on them.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Cant say Ive ever had this issue, I use holders I picked up from amazon, 4 for a tenner I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Actually, I have some similar ones that I bought before the Belkin ones came out. I might give them a go again. From what I remember, I didn’t like them because the AirTag hung down too low and hit off my knee while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Have the exact same holder and never had an issue with the battery cover popping off. Never even considered it could be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Using that belkin holder from day 1 on multiple tags for multiple people in the house. Never had a single problem.

You sure they’re genuine belkin?

I’ve just tried to physically remove the cover on mine and there’s no way to do it. Have you got the metal cover on the side that says belkin? Because the other side is a slightly wider opening

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They're definitely genuine Belkin. I ordered them direct from the Apple Store as soon as they came out.

Maybe yours are different, but the holes in the two halves of the four I have are exactly the same size. Here's a tracing showing them beside each other, but I've measured them too.

And here's a shot of the battery cover itself clearly being able to pass though the hole with ease. The case just does nothing to keep it in, so if the cover gets loose, it will fall out. I carry my keys in my jeans pocket, maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway, I ordered a set of these:

They significantly enclose the battery cover, and don't dangle as much as the other silicon ones above. I've also ordered some battery covers from a seller on eBay, waiting for them to arrive now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement