Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York - Xmas

Options
  • 24-10-2022 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Looking at heading to New York in mid December. No doubt going to be extremely cold & potential for snow.

Anyone who has been in December put me off going then? Need to use holidays up before end of year.

Other then that, any airlines flying Dublin to JFK that you are better off going with? Price difference looks like it can be a few hundred return.

In terms of accomodation, any recommendations of best place to stay? Cental areas will cost more no doubt, but might be other areas like Long Island City where its only a subway away from central areas.

All advice & suggestions greatly appreciated

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SweetSand

I guess my biggest concern would be the possibility of snow storm/s which is somewhat high. I guess at the worst the flights will be cancelled/delayed. I wouldn’t worry about outside temperature as it can range from T-shirt temperature to full blown arctic but it’s always nice and warm inside shops/theatres/restaurants and etc. I have no loyalty with any airline so I would pick the cheapest with the best departure/arrival time that works for you. It doesn’t have to be JFK either, any big NY airport is accessible by public transportation/Uber/Lyft. As for hotel - I would stick to centre. Put in your dates into tripadvisor/booking.com search and see if anything affordable comes up with good review score. I know further out areas might be cheaper but you really want to be within walking distance from most places for the best experience. If there are any specific things you want to do like a broadway show or visiting Statue of Liberty - I would book those as soon as you have your flights/accommodation sorted. New York is a great destination regardless the time of the year. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I’ve been twice in December. First time it snowed heavily. Stories of people talking 7 hours to get home from work. Place looked magical for a tourist though

Second time was much milder. Still a great trip. I’ve been in summer too but I’d opt for December trips if given the choice

Stay in midtown Manhattan and book whatever flight is most suited to you. There’ll be little difference in Economy. Others can give you advice if you’re booking business

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

In terms of location I would try base yourself in around Manhattan.

As the snow is a greater possibility in Dec it could take a lot longer to get from A to B so the closer you are to things the better, but obviously will cost a bit more.

I stayed in Midtown East recently just off Time Sq, near Bryant Park and it was perfect location.

As mentioned it's pretty easy to get Manhattan from any of airport so pick the cheapest to save a few quid...You'll need it 😁

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I've have been twice in December. Once we had fairly heavy snow. The place is geared for snow so things won't just shut down like they would in Ireland if it snows. The snow can really add to the atmosphere, especially leading up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I've flown Aer Lingus, AA and Delta and I've found Delta to be the best insofar as the food was great on board. If you're flying as a pair, Aer Lingus might be more comfortable because they have a 2-4-2 configuration on their planes so you can get two seats to yourselves without strangers for neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Thanks all for advice so far. Below seem to be the main pieces of advice.

Pick an airline that suits in terms of flight times & price.

Dont stick to just JFK airport to fly to/from.

Stay in/around midtown Manahattan.

Book any shows etc. once booked flights.

Advertisement