Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[25 Oct-5 Nov] mild, sometimes windy and wet, weather with potential for disruptive rainfalls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Dublin uses shield.

Not sure how the downriver shield is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

No I agree with Met. After midnight we might see an hourly report of over 20mm somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks Soggy

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Going to be bad flooding with this. The ground is already like a bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Robwindstorm

The east was bound to get flooding with this current set up of depressions coming up from Biscay giving easterly winds as well. As I said on a different thread a while back, the east has not seen major flooding in a decade and the law of averages usually balances itself out. After the hot summer of 1995 (like this year), there was an exceptionally mild October, albeit dry, but early November brought spectacular thunderstorms and flooding. And as someone posted earlier, what happened after the floods, frozen floods. On side note, I'd say Gonzo is like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting on a thunderstorm tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Met Eireann not forecasting anything too crazy for South Wicklow on their hourly forecast. Yellow rather than orange based on the numbers, with a short lived duration. Wonder how it will compare to reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Very windy early this morning. South to southeast winds, veering southwest, will reach mean speeds of 40 to 55 km/h with gusts of up to 100km/h possible.
    • Valid: 04:00 Friday 28/10/2022 to 07:00 Friday 28/10/2022
    • Issued: 00:24 Friday 28/10/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Mullingar reported 40 mm of rain overnight, Ballyhaise still adding to about 37 mm. More like 10-20 mm in the Dublin region where the squall line has recently passed. Winds turned westerly and gusted to 83 km/hr. The next event is Saturday morning's likely heavy rainfall moving north through much of the country, although there could be isolated thunderstorms later today after the brief clearing comes and goes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

On Met E radio forecast mention of almost 50mm recorded in Clonmel.

Got off a bit lighter this time in Greystones with only 6.8mm since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

The River Suir is now heading for it's median flood level according to the OPW, of course since the flood relief scheme there is no longer any town flooding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Thankfully only 7.2mm in my area of county meath, expected a lot more then that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

17mm since midnight in Cork, but my system underresponds in windy conditions as the rain sensor is also up the pole.

Only 14mm in Sligo

146mm for the month.

Quite a bit more in Markree.

Over 170mm for October there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm surprised Cork isn't under water like it used to

Up to 155mm in Sligo now

Two very heavy downpours today

Places are bound to be at or near 200mm by November 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

According to my local water level monitoring station, last night's rainfall put my local river (Whitehorse) half a metre over the median flood level. It's within 0.44m of the highest flood on record (1963). I've never seen the river this high, bit worrying to think there is a lot more rain to come next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Is that in Cork? Can't find a White Horse river, just a pub in Ballincollig. But wherever it is, GFS has fairly moderate rainfall amounts through next four days, it would be around days 5-7 that heavier rain returns to west Munster. Over the period from now to 12z Sunday, 10-15 mm amounts are shown in the south and west, less elsewhere. That gradually doubles over days 3-4 to 2nd Nov. Then a further 30-50 mm depicted for west Munster 3rd-6th. Eventually 130 mm for parts of west Munster by 7th (47 mm shown close to Dublin). In the week to follow that, heavier rain is more evident across the north which catches up to west Munster in terms of total rainfalls, both reach 150 mm by 13th Nov. (Dublin shown at 84 mm by then, about 70% above normal for that many days).

No in Leinster MT, the White Horse river is a tributary of the river Nore (I'm based in Laois)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Advertisement

This was us this morning, first sign of "too much rain" with a little pond in the field by the river below. Considering our river hasn't been dredged since 1991, we're actually doing good considering the washout of the last week in particular.

River levels here. Getting closer to "median flood" which is 1.027m

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was in Derry today at about 430pm, and saw some of the heaviest rain I have ever seen.

It only lasted about 5min but it was HEAVY. The wipers on the car at full speed were struggling to remove it from windscreen. Traffic was at a snails pace.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Next dose of wet has just arrived in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Utterly deeply hushed out here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

Lashing in East Clare, and has been for a while...

On-off drizzle and a few sunny/bright spells across the south of Laois. Mild and breezy with temperatures hovering around the 15c mark. Fields behind us here have alot more flooding/ponding today as the hills send down their waters.

Worse downpour of the day here in my part of Laois, there has been very little letup all day. On the upside it is very mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Lashing this morning. Gutters were overflowing. Cleaned them out this afternoon. 2 hours of ladder juggling and squeksh. But at least it's done for the next downpours. North Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I think the whole country could be in a yellow rainfall warning high numbers indeed going by models, kinda reminds of the stubborn rainfall that caused flooding in dublin City centre and flooded Dundrum on 24th October 2011

Advertisement