Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[25 Oct-5 Nov] mild, sometimes windy and wet, weather with potential for disruptive rainfalls

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭sudocremegg

Torrential rain and wind just ripped through Waterford City. Wouldn't be surprised if it took down tree's. Looks to be heading north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Looking at it on the radar is funny it's swirling almost like a mini storm. It's coming my direction (South Wicklow) will post if there's anything like that here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Gorey seems to have got badly flooded this evening, any reports ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Muinteoir2018

Yes badly hit. Bypass has huge amount of lying water. Lots of arwas of town inaccessible or barely accessible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,532 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The worst weather I have ever seen hit the area. No exception.

Having local knowledge of the back roads helped me, but there were areas around the town that got flooded that generally wouldn't. I believe a few premises got hit too.

I got caught in a queue coming off the bypass for about 30 mins, but that's mild compared to some other people.

I'm usual a skeptic for these weather warnings, and roll my eyes at the storm naming, but that was insane and feel Met missed a trick putting out a proper warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Unreal footage of floods in SE. Even parts of M11 closed now. The precip just keeps swirling down those parts. No rain Meath today. Feeling cold now 7⁰.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Guess when the low went through southern Laois?

Thankfully avoided pretty much all the rain, 0.2mm in the AWS - only a drizzle in the end - luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Surprised not to see any mention here of the tornado reported from Wexford:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Really was an awful spell of torrential rain from 11am to 1pm. some of the heaviest i've seen in these parts in many a year. Recorded 11.9mm at the station during that period with a Max Rainfall rate of 177mm/hr at 12.49.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Between 13.00 and 13.30 yesterday apparently.

How nobody was killed is miraculous really!

Some photos here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057665075/whats-the-weather-like-in-your-area-2/p275#latest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,532 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I do think if it happened in Salthill or Cork, RTE would have correspondents on the scene. Completely downplayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Robwindstorm

You guys in Wexford got a real hammering these last couple of days. That tornado had serious power when you look at the destruction it left. Lucky no one lost their lives. I read some livestock were killed. That hook of heavy rain circulating around that little low pressure system today, really concentrated around the southeast with its tail of heavy showery rain along the west also. It just reached as far as south Dublin before moving away leaving a beautiful dry day for me in Meath. Unfortunately there's plenty more rain to come and hat's off yet again to MT for starting this thread. On a separate note, I do enjoy reading Grace's posts, they are so poetic and you can almost visualise being there. You should write a book Grace or some sort of weather memoir. Keep it up, love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

So just to clarify, the tornado reported was on Wed 2nd correct? I noted the estimated times of 1300h to 1330h. Just wanted to be sure as the discussion during the day was jumping around from that event to the Thursday meso-scale low in the southeast.

I just looked on the met.ie 48 hour radar and can see the squall line feature crossing Wexford. Could somebody perhaps clarify where the tornado damage occurred (relative to some large town if possible, like 24 km northwest of Wexford as a form) ... I also looked on the linked thread and saw the pictures there, to me that looks to be a solid F1 and not a weak tornado which I would consider to be an F0 (F-zero that means).

If the radar were deadly accurate I would guess the storm damage was around 1245.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Hi M.T. The damage was in the Foulksmills area which is around 22k west of Wexford Town.

A bit late from Met Eireann with the advisory but anyway

Weather Advisory for Ireland

Further rainfall this weekend and next week will cause localised flooding due to waterlogged soils and high river levels.

Valid: 12:46 Friday 04/11/2022 to 23:00 Friday 11/11/2022

Issued: 12:46 Friday 04/11/2022

Updated: 13:46 Friday 04/11/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭sudocremegg

The rain that passed through Waterford City on Thursday the 3rd seemed far worse than anything from the previous day.

Remnants of Hurricane Martin have drifted east to 20W now, pressure has risen from 945 mb a few days ago to 970 mb at 18z, but this is still a well-organized little disturbance and will drift through Donegal Bay on its way to extinction northwest of Scotland to southeast of Iceland. Expect several hours of winds in the 70-110 km/hr in exposed locations. This feature will be followed by another low that sheared off Martin earlier and that one will be close to Belmullet by Monday. The thread title expires soon but this weather goes on and on.

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow

Met Éireann Weather Warning

A spell of very strong and gusty southerly winds will track eastwards on Monday. Damaging gusts of up to 110 km/h are possible.

Valid: 11:00 Monday 07/11/2022 to 21:00 Monday 07/11/2022

Has to be said that rainfalls in the past week (30 Oct to 5 Nov) were not cataclysmic at any regular reporting stations, although generally in the range of 150 to 267 per cent. The highest total was 106.0 mm at Valentia which was 267% of normal, an anomaly equalled by Roches Point. In the same interval, Dublin had only 15.7 mm which was 90% of their average. Malin Head while at 25 mm had 79%, the lowest anomaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We're well used to the rain in kerry. Nothing a decent pair of wellies won't handle 😁

Meanwhile I had 25 cm of snow in the past 36 hours, on top of about 10 cm that was left over from a similar fall on Friday, and it's -6 C here.

It was running much warmer than normal here from mid-July to about 20 Oct, then the anomaly switched to cold very rapidly and so we went from very late autumn colour displays to full-on winter with little sign of any of this melting as we stay in the arctic air for next week or two.

Record warmth in eastern North America will soon come to an end, possibly with a bit of a bang if Nicole moves up the east coast as some models suggest. But on Monday it was 25 C in NYC.

Advertisement