Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Find it funny that the same people who are arguing that this will lead to doomsday, are providing anecdotes from people who believe there isn’t a market for it

If there’s no market for it, then there won’t be any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

A consultative process where only one lobby group/side gets listened to - as per usual in Ireland.

If you believe that the measures posed will help the nighttime economy then it means you believe it will lead to an overall increase in consumption.

If you believe that it means consumption will remain flat and be consumed over a longer period of time, then the changes will result in increased overhead and losses for publicans. So that there is obviously the big lie. Operators need an increase in overall consumption to offset the higher cost of operating longer.

So if very late bars become part of the expectation, it will be a necessity to operate into the early hours. That will mean fewer venues, rather ironically will survive.

The economics of the change are very questionable and the health grounds do not hold water - at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Others have responded to most of these points. But, serious question, why do you hate nightclubs so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,680 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Displacement of consumption (from after parties etc) does not increase consumption.

It won't result in displacement of home consumption. That bag of cans will just be drunk at another time - either before, with longer later pre-parties or the following day.

I just don't see how it makes clubs and bars more viable without it increasing the consumption of the shrinking demographics they serve. Which is obviously contrary to public health goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The nightclubs would have to start charging more in for entry, treat it as a mini gig, rather than trying to make everything from the bar.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's funny how most people who have issues with this are not exactly the target demographic for nightclubs at all...

It's not going to effect them either!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

People who have better things to be be doing than post on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

People who go out? Tourists and anyone under 40.

They have late night places all over Europe. Why must Ireland be a 'sleepy town'?

Concerned citizens like yourself must have other issues to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I would have thought a musician such as yourself would have an idea?

I'm guessing 20 - 50 mainly?

You are never too old to stay out late the odd time here and there....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Shur most of the daycent nightclubs are closed now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

lived in many places where this is the norm. It is the way to go, easier to get a taxi too. Novelty at first of course but that will soon wear off. Not all pubs and even clubs will avail of it but the choice is also theirs. Less people on the street together. Good move

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I suppose all the trendy arrsehole DJs think ppl will be oohing and aahing over their impeccable taste dj sets with oh so rare cologne accordion trance

rather than temple bar style super pubs blasting out Venga Boys and packed to the rafters with extremely drunk and disorderly idiots until 6 Am.

Madness.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This website is just become a cliche of itself. Yet here I am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭Gusser09

FFS. Vinters and Publicans are a cartel.

Firstly they help impose MUP and now they can sell drink at above the odds for longer.

I think the major problem for most with be antisocial behavior later into the night and the majority of pubs during Covid extended outdoors into beer gardens and the streets. The pub near us was an old mans pub in a residential area, they turned the outside into a beer garden with a DJ booth and now we have loud music until 12:30 most nights and if the opening hours are extended I'm sure we will have it later into the night. I have no problem with somebody enjoying a drink later into the night if that's what people want but greater controls over noise and antisocial issues need to be implemented at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

There’s one big issue they have.

They are relying on people to buy drink at above the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Funny how Alcohol Action Ireland and the publicans were on the same page when it came Minimum Unit Pricing.

They succeeded in making our home drinks more expensive, I wonder who will win this one ?

My money is on the publicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Have you and/or others in the area objected to their licence?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

When is the change coming in?

A neighbour with young children who's property backs onto the pub has. He attends court every time the licence is up for renewal.

All the neighbours provided evidence of the ongoing disturbance in court. That wasn't enough for the judge. Professional sound monitoring was performed by the neighbour that shows the sound levels in his back garden are damaging to hearing. The beer garden is not covered by the licence and they serve drink there, the pub has noise limits accociated with it planning that are exceeded. According to the judge that's not enough to suspend or place restrictions on the licence. The publican installed sound monitoring equipment in a private estate and hug sound monitoring equipment over the pubs wall into people's back gardens without permission.

The beer garden doesn't meet fire safety standards as there is no fire escape and they built a large covered structure in the beer garden without planning permission. Council and fire department are not interested in enforcement.

It's an expensive process that has been ongoing since just before covid. The owner is on the local council and acts with impunity. The neighbour had to hire a barrister from Dublin as nobody in the county or neighbouring counties would go up against a Councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Anyone know when this is coming into law?

it doesn’t seem to have been spoken about since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I can only speak for Cork but I can't see many places if any opting to stay open that late. They can hardley get staff to work as it stands with 2am closing. 6am forget it. That means finishing work at 7am. No chance. I did those hours when I managed pubs abroad but the money made it worth it. No chance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s a problem

my local has a mix of younger and older folks with slightly more of an older demographic and is at a small gathering of retail and food establishments and embedded in a residential area.

is a nice clientele but who knows now… I’ve a feeling that they might keep hours as they are with maybe Thursday just extended.

the bar is full of older regulars, be empty by midnight and always close to being on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Exactly wheres the outcry and rage from our betters on this one.

Alcohol is bad mmmmmmkayyy

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So you don't want it therefore nobody in Ireland should have it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

• Advertisement
Advertisement