Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,806 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ironically in Spain the government to late bar is often the Irish pub 🤣

The UK also has 24hr drinking and their drink related public order problems are historically worse than ours.

And most Spanish people are only going out at 9/10 (after already having a lunch beer and a beer at home with dinner)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The relationship between the Irish and the pub is changing. You’ll always have a market for a spot like Neary’s, but the era of men sitting along the counter hoovering back pints in a pub in BallyGobackwards is over. That sort of customer base is either in the ground or soon for it.

The modern customer wants exciting seasonal food, a selection of local beers, wine that doesn’t come from a 175ml Blossom Hill bottle, toilets that are fit for purpose, and staff who are happy to have your custom. Let’s not get romantic here about the average Irish boozer. No loss and the market is speaking loudly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just on the Spain comparison - non runner

Have been to Spain a number of times, have friends there - the typical Spanish attitude to alcohol is worlds away from the typical Irish.

“Like for like” would be something like Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No, no one is going to answer your questions about the cost of policing etc.

It's too difficult, it's much easier to keep saying "nanny state".

The UK has had this for two decades, I've no idea how it has worked other than it's still in place.

I don't know how many more or less places are open now than were open at the time it came in, I don't know if the UK attitude to drinking has changed the way it is changing here.

From a quick Google search about policing and opening times I found a piece about how some or other policing body told parliament about how the licensing laws had policing stretched, but that was from 2008, I could not immediately find anything more up to date.

I found something else from Norway that found that for every extra hour places stay open the number of violent incidents increased x%.

I'd say there is good data out there from the UK that will either help or hinder you make your point, you just have to look for it.

I'm not against extended opening, I think after time it will just settle down to be very few places that offer it.

And only in cities, in towns and villages, pubs are closing earlier now rather than later.

What's the legal opening times in Scotland ?

In most of the UK it's 24hr and the sky hasn't fallen in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭techman1

You’d swear this was something new, when I started going out in the mid 00’s many clubs had a “theatre” licence. I recall pegging it many times for the Nitelink to just about make the 04:30 last bus, because you could be served til 03:30 and in reality in those places it was 04:30 before you got out.

Spot on, you also had the whole leeson St scene, it was a bit seedy and not that great frankly, but it added a bit of thrill and excitement to the city, the same as you have all over Europe. Also tourists drawn here by Irelands reputation as a music and lively place are very surprised when everything is closed so early and alot of the venues that used to be around are gone.

I think in the 80s and 90s that scene carried on but the media and establishment were not thar interested but then the nanny state element in Ireland got alot more funding etc fron government and they began encroaching on things they personally didn't like. In any other country those voices would be there but they don't have the power and sway that they have here because we are essentially a small and parochial country

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thankfully im too old to really care but here is my 2 cents

There was always one or two very late spots, Lillys being one & because there was only a couple it meant if when you went it was pretty full, If there is loads of place open later , they will be mostly dead & the punters will be spread out over more places.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

4am, recently increased from 3am. Scotland is another country with the babying attitude and direct resultant childlike behaviour; but is still able to realise that 2:30 is too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yeap, late bars and in major cities would most likely be mostly full of people from the UK&Ireland..

I am also wondering for the establishments who apply to stay open late, will be subject to a "Late night levy?" With the price of paying for extra staff, security and floor persons to cover the later shifts and the levy, will punters be willing to pay a late admission charge of say €20, plus with the price rises Diageo announced mean that you'd be paying €10 a pint... Can't see many businesses making all that a commercial success..

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

TBH I doubt places outside of the bigger cities would avail of the 6am closing hours, this would be aimed at house and techno clubs, not Coppers style nightclubs. There would be a handful in Dublin, one or two in Cork, haven't been out to a club in Galway or Limerick in years so not sure if they still have places like this.

Not sure how the gardai shifts work, might be easier for them to deal with staggered groups rather than everyone spilling out onto the streets at once? A&E staff would definitely be on night shifts so don't think it would make much difference is a drunk person who injured themselves landed in at 2:45 or 4:45, in either case they'd probably be waiting for hours anyway?

Kinda hard to no invoke the "nanny state at it again" argument to the alcohol and drug addiction rates and drink driving points really, and don't really see how this would impact street crime and drug dealing.

As for labour, that's the venues issue, if it's not viable then they should stick with their current opening hours, no one would be forcing them to stay open.

As mentioned before England has had late opening hours for clubs for years, they have the same penchant for excessive alcohol consumption and rowdy behaviour as ourselves, and it doesn't seem to have caused a public health emergency over there.

• Advertisement

That's not what I said. I said Irish bars not bars full of Irish people.

All my Spanish friends finish out the night in Irish bars and I have Irish friends who ran Irish pubs in major Spanish cities and their customers were mostly locals. Some in areas with little or practically no Irish population.

If these new late premises are not a success so what. They should at least be allowed try.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Such a levy exists in Liverpool, and probably other places.

Anything from £299 to £4,400 for a premises to open from 12am to 6am for at least one day of the year.

Money goes towards policing and street cleaning costs.

That's just the local council levy, there would obviously be extra costs for the venue itself, but that's where the economic argument of staying open comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

“Because it’s none of my damn business what a grown adult does”

While I agree with this opinion in principle I’m 100% against public use of cannabis (ie walking down a street , waiting to get served at an open air bar etc)

I have kids in competitive sports programs and the last thing I want is them being excluded & wrongly accused of having drugs in their system because some stranger polluted the air in their vicinity.

Additionally the smell of cannabis is stomach churning….

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Oh apologies - 100%! It makes me sick the smell and I hadn't thought of the implications for athletes.

Yes, home only for sure. Tbh I'm happy to start with medicinal use only at first - and see how it goes.

Ya that's why you never see top level Dutch sports people 🤣

I'm not pro the Dutch model by the way just can't help it laugh at a genuine "won't somebody please think of the children"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Well I care about my children tbh and their motivation for sport and don’t want it tarnished for no good reason.

Well you have nothing to worry about unless your kids are in an enclosed room with seriously high levels for smoke for a prolonged period.

Adult sports people can make that choice at their peril. I doubt many lads in the u14s are gonna be failing the rigourous drugs tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭techman1

Yeap, late bars and in major cities would most likely be mostly full of people from the UK&Ireland..

Obviously you only frequent the Irish bars in Spain so. The Spanish are known for their love of night life, have you never been in a Spanish club at 4am with them all dancing and singing to their Spanish dance hits and "eviva espagne ", you haven't lived at all, they are not doing that on 1 glass of wine with their dinner. By that time they have had lots of wine and cocktail mixes, usually homemade drunk on the streets in the squares and parks around midnight. You must be walking around Spain with blinkers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I never claimed to have a PhD on the "Intricacies and nuances of the social habits of the Spanish nation.."

On the subject at hand i'd rather listen to the opinions of people who have to deal with the fallout of extra drinking hours in a nation known for it's unhealthy relationship with alcohol..

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexford/wexford-district/wexford-ambulance-officer-critical-of-later-opening-hours-for-pubs-and-clubs-well-be-left-cleaning-up-the-mess/a1975585229.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

There arent criminals hanging around the city centre like its the wild west.

Certain parts of the north inner city are ropey, sure. But the vast majority of thw rest of the city centre is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

No it's not. I was there Monday on a night out, specifically around the southern inner city. At one stage at the venue I was at, there was more fentanyl addicts begging and literally crying for money, desperately trying to clamber over the smoking area, than there was inside the pub.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

You make it sound like the zombie apocalypse. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It doesn't have to be a zombie apocalypse, it's just not good enough to see a place get progressively worse and have nothing done about it.

We were actually saying that, like it was something out of a movie. Like some dystopian sci-fi movie made in the 80's, where the streetscape buildings are all neon light brand shopping glam and the actual people who live on it look like they are from a famine scenario from the 1800's. It was pretty f**ked to be honest.

Was anyone here living in the UK when their laws changed? I was there for a while in 2001 and couldn't get over how places closed after 11, it was a real pain if you didn't want to go to some club.

I am out loads in the city centre and have never seen anything like that tbh.

Well I don't know what to say to you, this is what I seen only two nights ago. It was more sad and depressing than any sort of criminal vibe though, these people were clearly desperate, like totally desperate, I'm not joking when I'm saying these people were crying. It's the worst I've seen the place in a long time, but esp the south inner city. I was actually staying up in stoneybatter on the North side and these exact same sort of people were there too when I got off the bus later on. All over the place too, and they all look the same. But like I said, its more a depressing desperate affair than a dangerous one, but it won't take very long until it becomes a dangerous one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement