Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Ah the poor ol gaurds. Doing perfectly cognitive people in the late hours of the morning after having a drink the night before. But letting drunk drivers weave round the roads late at night cause theyre all tooked up in bed. Poor ol deveils. God help them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The 1 in a million occurance, I'm in my late 30s and I've never been refused service and there's times I absolutely should have been nor seen anyone else refused service unless they had started a fight, were particularly aggressive or literally falling over drunk. I spent 3 months in Australia in my early 20s I was refused service several times well before I'd have been considered close to drunk by Irish pub standards and saw it happen more times than I can count.

Irish publicans do not care how much they serve as long as it doesn't affect them. Australian publicans are held accountable by law for what happens if they over serve customers, the two are not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's Australia that is wrong by practically all accounts I have heard.

My own experience would be in Canada not Australia but they have similar strict laws and it's an absolute joke. 3 pints and you are deemed drunk. Fellas wanting to drink and not eat are considered wild alcoholics.

I've refused plenty out of Irish pubs and having someone drunk on premises is a terrible stress and only a dive would let it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ohh I don't think it's done right at all and the most memorable incident for me in Oz was being refused after 3 pints as well. I'm simply arguing against the idea that Irish publicans are in any way responsible service providers. Especially when the LVF and VFI have previously claimed drinking in pubs is safer than drinking at home as an argument for MUP as you are being served by trained professionals in a controlled enviornment.....

Fair enough.

I certainly wouldn't believe the VFI on anything as they are just a lobby group. I don't really think the new law will move the dial on drunkenness either way but it will be better for the vast majority of people who are normal responsible drinkers. I just don't see any justification for the current laws and even if the late opening is stripped extinguishment really needs to happen regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I often think of the publicans advice and smile when I'm sitting at home enjoying a can of beer and a small whiskey before dinner.

Total cost to me even after MUP €3.

In the local €10.

I feel safe and better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I've been to Malaysia and Indonesia , two Muslim countries, especially Indonesia. Both with less restrictive drinking laws. I'd love to know what involvement the church has in groups like alcohol action ireland, and the others intent on making it as expensive and restrictive as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭whitelaurel

you don’t feel safe in a pub? Then yeah home drinking is best for you. Comparing the price is a bit pointless though, like comparing listening to AC DC at home or going to see them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

one of the most ridiculous comparisons I have ever heard. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What happened to this bill? Is it ever going to happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,446 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Who knows

I doubt our leader Simon Harris is fond of an auld pint.

Safe as houses actually 🙂

I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of the publicans making out we were safer in a pub than at home.

I don't really hate publicans but I wish they had kept their noses out of my business.

They lobbied to make home drinking more expensive so we would go to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭whitelaurel

not for me. Home drinking is no comparison to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The medical establishment hates alcohol more than the church does, because doctors are ggw ones sho know what damage alcohol does.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,446 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Covid showed that

They want to be martyrs who got rid of the 'drunken paddy' image

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes, they do, just not as often as they should.

There's also the "oh no it's closing time, let's get three pints and a couple of shots in" thing, so person might be OK when getting served but in bits with the alcohol in their stomach when they're leaving. Putting an end to silly closing time removes the incentive to lorry down drink in a hurry at the end of the night.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

You have a point there.

There is indeed a big difference between a drink in a pub and a drink at home.

It's one of life's great pleasures to settle into a good well run pub and have your pint pulled by a friendly barman.

We do them well in Ireland.

But the publicans couldn't leave it at that and stick to their trade.

They campaigned to interfere with people enjoying a drink in their own home.

Can't be forgiven for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

It’s not “1 in a million”. The hyperbole on this thread is off the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,651 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think the later opening part of the liberalisation of drinking laws will die a death between now and the next election.

On paper it seemed a great idea but the practicalities of it are now hitting the industry. At the and of the day the punter has only so much to spend. Later opening is not going to grow the market it going to add cost to the majority of businesses that are involved in the trade.

If you close at 2am you will lose business, but staying open costs. Later opening over weekends has not added business to most pubs, it reduced the club scene as a significant cohort of pubs muscled into the club scene. Why pay 10 euro into a club when you could drink away in the pub.

There is an appetite for allowing pubs to be set up without having to buy a licence and for resturants and cafe to have access to full licenced premises. Even maybe for you to be allowed to buy a beer with you Supermac's or your dinner in supermarket. But the option of unrestricted opening is dying a death.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The clubs deserve to die. They are utter crap that people go to because they have to thanks to the law.

The market is clearly there for pubs to open later because it is impossible to get people out of them at closing time and into the crappy club they don't want to go to.

It's the 6am thing that will be pearl clutched to death.

If a venue doesn't want to stay open later it doesn't have to. Which part of that are certain posters just not getting.

Let the venue decide when they want to close, instead of having the law dictate to them when they must close.

There are places in Dublin that already close past 2am. I am not sure how some places are able to do this and others are not, but it certainly happens.

I think the late opening is a good idea, but let the venue itself decide if it wants to open until 4am or 5am.

If the demand is there, and it certainly is in Dublin, let them do it.

What i would like to see is public transport respond accordingly. More night buses, late DART/LUAS etc so that punters and workers can actually get home.

Bus Connects has already brought a few 24h bus routes and is due to bring in many more.

Luas should run 24h. If they need a window for maintenance then do that in the first half of the week but run it 24h Thu-Sun at least.

The Luas not running late at weekends is a total joke. Like you say - Do the maintainance the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

also as these jobs are seen as disposable there wont be night rates, it will be extra hours X Min wage is all a lot will get with no opt out

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

They don't have to if they don't want to.

If it doesn't work financially or they can't get staff, they can close at a normal time.

I think there's definitely a market for at least one late opening nightclub per city, maybe ,2 or 3 in Dublin. Young people travel a lot and are accustomed to later hours.

Personally I'd like to see the licensing laws completely liberalised so that anyone could open a bar/pub/club once it satisfies certain fire and safety conditions. You'd have young lads opening clubs in warehouses for one night a week, dive bars etc..It'll never happen though as the Vintners association would oppose it.

I've a feeling the government will try to get this legislation through before the next election as it will have a feel good effect.

I presume everyone including current pub and club owners are in favour of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The “Give us back the night” crowd …

Chancers, Ted, Chancers as far as the eye can see …

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hush now …

That logic and common sense is not wanted by the “trendy DJs” who want to “rinse” an obscure Guatemalan remix of Kylie at 5:59 am some morning

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Theatre licence will allow them to stay open and serve past 2.30, something mainly taken advantage of in Dublin with the likes of the viper rooms, on the keys and pal joeys in temple bar. You wouldn't be out the door until 4am then onto a pub in Abbey Street that a mate worked in that had all night lock ins, then home around 9am.

Moved to Galway in 2008 and place was dead compared to Dublin.

Clubs being open past 2 used to be mainly in Dublin, most of the rest of the country they stopped serving at 1.30.

When the current operating hours were brought in during the late 90s most people I know not being into dance/chart music just stayed in the pub and skipped the clubs.

Advertisement