Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,802 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Antibiotics should be available over the counter. Many of us know when we have a specific condition that requires them and having to wait days to get a doctors appointment and pay the fee is a pain. Yes hypochondriacs and stupid people will abuse it, but that’s their own problem.

Unless…does that reduce the effectiveness of antibiotics in general if strains of bacteria build up resistance from some people taking too many?

Maybe a cap of one OTC non prescribed course per person per year would be a help. I guess that requires manpower to monitor though. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A pharmacist could have a consultation with the customer first, they're more than competent to handle everyday conditions.

I know when I do and don't need an antibiotic and it's a pain paying €60 to tell my GP what's wrong with me, he spends 2 minutes checking my temperature, feeling my lymph nodes and listening to my chest, then off to pay for my prescription. 80 snots at least for that. 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Conservative voters are wrong 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Stranger Things

Why is there fat models or models with deficits on runways. They are not good looking. (Hids)

Seriously though, it’s a token gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Women analysing or commentating on men's sport has me reaching for the remote. It's the reason I will never pay for Sky Sports. Why are they there, they've never played the game at that level.. Pure tokenism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Not being a fan of Mrs Brown's Boys ... and refusing to go along with pretending to like it when a friend watches it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

what would happen is you would end up with a version of a failed Communist state . Those with means would leave taking their money with them, and inward investment would plummet along with income taxes. In the end the pie would be way smaller and its a lose lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I can't for the life of me understand how it's got the following it has. It's dreadful rubbish, about as funny as a fire in an orphanage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I'd welcome the death penalty for certain cünts.

• It's easy to watch. A lot of people like that after a long day.

I used to watch Two and a half men when I came home from work. I knew it was absolute rubbish, but it was an easy watch to just switch my brain off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,169 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Exactly. People are selfish by nature, look after themselves and their families first and you will never stop this. They will go elsewhere with their wealth. That utopian community is doomed to collapse in on itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Women or men with 3 or more criminal convictions should be sterilised by law.

Covid didn't kill as many people as i had hoped and we need a proper plague to lessen the worlds population.

The concept of The Running Man movie is brilliant and i'd pay 3 times the present licence fee if RTE made one for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

This thread (site even?) is full of absolutely joyless miserable (unts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Eye candy for the lads is what I always assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Agree

And that post belongs in the "Things that are true" thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Woke crap more like, I don’t watch half as much as I used too it’s ruined it for me , this player of the match thing in a male game is stupid, what’s wrong with being a man ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Women who kill their children are evil monsters. The complete let off they get from the media, society and their families is nothing short of horrendous. When a woman kills her child or children, the media quietly look away and revert to glib, cliched descriptions such as "the tragic mother" or "the community rallied around her grieving family", and they have an endless army of supporters, mostly women, who queue up to defend her and blame it on depression or domestic abuse which is frankly crap. What about the millions of women with post natal depression who dont kill their kids? Dead is dead, by a mans hand or a womans hand.

Contrast this to when a man kills his child. The media line up to sharpen the pitchforks, his character is dissected and destroyed with words like "sicko" "twisted" "insane" and "devil" sprayed with abundance. His family turn into pariahs, his funeral is refused by several undertakers and nobody will even spit on his grave.

The same mental health condition that leads parents to murder their kids leads to a totally different outcome from society. Dont take my word for it. The next time a woman kills her child, the words tragic and distressed will be used to describe her. Cold comfort to the poor kids who were murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Antibiotics are over prescribed as is, most of the infections people take them for just go away themselves. It's a fact their effectiveness is reducing, we really don't need easier access to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Here's my hot take.

Zero tolerance with the travelling community, stop pandering to them and get tough with their criminal behaviour and activities. Fed up with their do whatever they want, above the law attitude.

I know people who can ring up their GP and ask for a prescription for an antibiotic, they get it no problem without a GP consultant. Many do this with a viral infection so your point is moot.

Some GPs overprescribe without even seeing the patient, at least the pharmacist would see them in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My opinion.

Soup runs , groups giving out food on the street " helping de homeless " are at the very least a waste of time and at the worst create a dependency of people unwilling to address their own needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Traveling around the country, the amount of empty properties is startling.

Give all owners 12 months and if they are not sold, or put to use, then CPO them.............at a % of market value. Sounds radical, but if owners know they'd be getting less than market value, they'd be selling quick enough. Paddy knows a good deal when he sniffs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If truth be known vast majority people in the South couldn’t give a fiddlers about a United Ireland, no matter how much up the ra they sing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Terrible idea. People would abuse them and then resistance would get even worse making many surgical procedures impossible. It's everyone's problem.

It's like saying dumping rubbish anywhere anytime should be legal since most people wouldn't. Some would and it would then cause problems for everyone.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

No, it's not like that at all. There is no justification for dumping rubbish under any circumstances.

GPs over-prescribe antibiotics, some without seeing the patient. There are at least 2 practices where I live that allow patients to order antibiotics on the phone with the receptionist, the chances are many of these do not need an antibiotic and most likely have a viral infection.

What about GPs who write a prescription to speed up the consultation and get the patient out the door? A lot of meds are probably over-prescribed here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not that controversial. county councils should be given the powers to seize derelict/long term vacant properties, sell them at auction (to deal with the argument about them being sold at market value); and keep the proceeds in escrow, so if the real owner shows up, they can have their money. minus a 20k handling fee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So the solution to an alleged over-prescription problem is antibiotics galore? How does this help?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Think a bit deeper on that. How would you even begin a recruitment campaign for a state executioner and how would you know you could trust that person in society. Even soldiers have the right to have their mental health protected.

• Advertisement

I never said "antibiotics galore".

No one is suggesting pharmacists should just hand them out no questions asked, my point was that pharmacists would be competent enough to assess if they were actually required, or if the patient should be given paracetamol, expectorant etc.

The reality is that many people expect an antibiotic because they are freely prescribed by many GPs when they aren't required. Many won't finish a course either because they feel better after a couple of days.

The old saying about an antibiotic curing in a week what your immune system will clear in 7 days is very relevant. Everyone will feel wretched with a viral infection for 7-10 days, but very few seem to be able to distinguish between a viral and bacterial infection, or a secondary bacterial infection following a viral infection.

Antibiotic resistant has arisen because of the over-prescribing and people not finishing a full course, so the doctor only model isn't working. I'm not sure many understand the reality of health outcomes of many routines illness and minor procedures if antibiotics become ineffective.

Advertisement