Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I said nothing of the sort and you are just bringing your own false narrative into it. To attack and disparage. I never mentioned chattels I never mentioned not for turning. You won't find that in the my previous posts. Which you seem to have taken grave offence to for some reason.

But nuance is lost on the dogmatic and the blinkered. Like I said you need to re read my posts.

Given this thread title. I would question your motives as to why you lurk on this thread to be honest. is it to engage and debate? Analysing a point asking why and so on? Stepping back and looking at the bigger picture?

I would argue no it is not, in your case.

Or is your motive to rant and rave? Create faux outrage and so on by exaggerating posters statements, that you take slight offence to?

I would argue yes it is, so far in my brief engagements with you that is what you have attempted to do.

You are wasting valuable energy on nothing really, manufacturing arguments from nothing. In reality that ends up as simply arguing with yourself - which I hope is not too controversial a statement?

--

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

My new 'controversial statement' is a question of Medical professionals access to a patients social media accounts.

The internet for its wonders connection of people worldwide, really showed its benefits during covid etc. Helpful boards hobbiest threads. If you want a technical answer someone one on boards would know it etc

However, there are many who are just not suited to the internet, it makes them angry they search for or create arguments. They could have underlying conditions.

It got me thinking should medical doctors have the right to look at a person's social media to assess their mental state? Or is the right to privacy of the individual more important?

I would posit that letting a medically qualified psychologist/doctor have a quick view of patients social media would give a far better insight to the patient than a simple 15 minute consultation. Much more important than any right to privacy issues. It would give the medical professional a full picture of their patient.

A lot of social media comments and obsessions on threads you really have to question some people's state of mind. Are such people 'OK'?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

A few quick stats I got from a Google search.

You got 30k in 1990. Jobs.ie says the average salary for legal secretary now is 37k.

Average house price in Dublin in 1990 was 60k. Your Salary:house price ratio was 1:2 of your average house.

Average house now is over 300k. So the average legal sec now would have a ratio of 1:8.5.

You had a massive incentive to get up and learn a skill because you could get a job that would pay enough to buy a house. That is off the cards for the average legal secretary nowadays. The price of housing has increased and wages haven’t even nearly kept up.

That's the world we live in and we have to face reality. But the reality your generation faced was entirely different to the reality the young dace today. And not acknowledging those facts is really to miss the point of the discussion. You want to motivate young people? Maybe the same opportunities to buy a house would have the same effect on them as it had on your generation.

Maybe your generation think you hadn't too easy to buy a house, and now it's correct that house ownership should only be for the top earners. But I doubt you actually think that and if you're being honest, you would want your own children and grandchildren to afford a house without having to be a top earner. You were a bit above average industrial wage in 1990. People a bit above the industrial wage don't generally buy houses nowadays without help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I lived in Australia, that was dollars I was quoting - I thought I mentioned in an earlier post I was in Australia. And when I arrived back in Ireland I could have bought a house in Dublin for 75k, I bought a house in Tipperary for 45k, that was punts.

My initial post was about having young adults to work and learn transferable skills - I’m not saying buying a house now is easy - but you’ll never buy a house sitting in your bedroom on your mobile phone.

Enough on this, I’ve given way too much personal information on a social media platform - believe me or not, I dont give a sh*t

I haven't questioned any of the personal info you offered (I don't think I asked for much of it either so i thank you for volunteering it).

A young person won't buy a house sitting on their arse. But they also won't buy a house by doing exactly what you did. A young legal secretary wouldn't own a house today without inheritance. Let alone someone on a low wage.

So if we want to motivate them to work, why not consider making work pay them the way it paid you? It worked to motovate you.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Though not as overtly scummy as the far right here with their hanging effigies, I see left and far left leaning FB groups sharing memes with guillotine imagery which isn't much better imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mod:-

Please be mindful that although you may not agree with the opinion of another poster and their outlook, that is not carte blanche for attacking, belittling or patronising them.

@gormdubhgorm and Itwasnt me123, I’m thinking of you two in particular. Do not engage with each other on this thread again.

Also, keep the Russell Brand discussions to those threads that are there for that debate. Not here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I was going to say that we need to get the salary:houseprice ratio back down to 1:5 (or lower) which is the international rule of thumb, and we need to reintroduce council home loans so you can buy a house without involving a bank and the various hoops they make you jump through, and we need to limit investment in the property market by investment funds so that only actual people buy houses not corporations, and high-end student accommodation blocks are compulsorily purchased by the government for the use of universities....

But none of that is controversial.

I think that's all fine. And we all pretend we care about our children and thier ability to buy a house and have a family and so on, but we don't actually intend to do anything about house prices. I'm pretty sure of this because we haven't even begun to discuss the consequence of building enough houses so young people could afford to but them.

Imagine a FFG plitician calling around to their core voter, old home owning demographic, and explaining that they've built so many houses that their house had depreciated so much that now a young person could buy them out.

We haven't even begun that discussion because we have absolutely no intention to do anything to make houses more affordable to young people. If it would negatively affect the home owning old people, there's zero chance FFG has any intention to do anything about it.

It's funny to watch politicians form established parties pretend to care about young people, but then completely fail to do anything that might upset the home owning class.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Personally, RTÉ should be completely broken up liquidated and eradicated over the lumbering HSE whatever its mortal sins any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....cause state media plays little or no role in maintaining a democratic society!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Universities and Institutes should be 100% responsible for housing it's students. I've no idea why they're currently not, but are able to demand the gubbermint hurry up and make more student accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭RickBlaine

I don't know if this is controversial but anybody who is working in a public facing job in Ireland should have at least conversational level of English. I was at a cafe in a well known department store and the person behind the counter was very kindly trying to explain that if I purchased an additional item I could get the benefit of a meal deal. But it took him about three attempts for me to understand what he was saying. This is about basic level of English and not a strong foreign accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

RTE must be stripped back to:

1 TV station - News, current affairs, Irish sport, locally produced content.

1 Radio station - As above.

Website with streaming service (that actually works).

2FM & TV2, Orchestras, Lyric, TG4 etc.... all gone/sold (if anyone would want them)

No "big-name/Personalities", just presenters.

If every child had 2 parents in the home, it would have positive outcomes as far as kids not turning to crime etc. would be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

It's fluent English speakers with ridiculous accents I've found harder to understand than someone with broken English.

They often lack any self awareness as to how unintelligible they sound to anyone not from their local village.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Or more students should stay at home and commute to college.Provide more buses so this is realistic (this would be much cheaper than building more accommodation) . So many people seem to want to stay at college despite living within a reasonable commute from the university, it's an horrific waste of money .

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Right, here we go.

Turf is a sh1t fuel. I tried it for a year and found it crap. Plugging in a resistor heater is cheaper and more effective. Banning turf is absolutely the right thing to do.

Irish gen X'ers do my head in. Think they know it all because they had to deal with 6 in a car and taping songs off the radio. Oh the humanity! Went on to reap the biggest rewards during the celtic tiger. Quite a boring insufferable group now in their early 50s. (Most of boards belong to this group by the looks of things) They are our "boomers".

Salaried employees that weren't financially struggling that couldn't wait to get back to work after covid are sad cases with Stockholm syndrome.

Rural folk have a never ending victim complex.

More places should be child free but dog friendly.

Most rappers are pure scumbags.

German cars are better than Japanese you just need to know what you're buying.

Post civil war IRA members are/were pure scumbags. The lad that blew up Nelsons pillar seemed like a particular bell end.

Humans have no more of a "right" to life on earth than even the smallest of beings. Our self importance is disgusting at times, we're chimps with hammers and no more than that.

Soccer is crap.

The American pronunciation of buoy is better.

Male infant circumcision without medical reason should be banned worldwide.

Religion should be banned.

Green movements don't go anywhere near hard enough.

I'll probably add some more at some point.

Post edited by teediddlyeye on

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Anyone that says "Living my best life"

When I hear that I feel like punching the person in the throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Wouldn't surprise me if Mountbatten had people killed due to his proclivities and connections to the Kincora boys home scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I think you need to elaborate on your opinions here. I respect that you are struggling with some of life's offerings, but developing a pet hate of an entire human generation whilst considering a totalitarian approach to human development of their spirituality is lazy enough.

If you are being controversial you should say something like " Eamonn DeValera was refused admission to become a priest because the Roman Catholic Church refused illegitimate people to ordain as priests until1983, but that doesn't mean that organised religion should be banned, it just means that the undeserved influence, awarded to the church by the state since the 1920's, is indicative of how they destroyed the last 100 years of this country and have been a tormenting predicament on the development of its' people and their social options.... and Dev was a ironically a total bastard anyways"

Or..... that CO2 levels are increasing due to solar flare activity, as opposed to human assumptions on the production of carbon emissions evolved from a dysfunctional global energy myth, dreamt up by overpaid Scandinavian Geologists, who have made a living out of capitalising on the fears of middle class morality.

Your contributions are welcome all the same. Albeit your comments on the IRA being a shower of chunts is hardly controversial, everyone knows they are?

Soccer is only crap if you watch it on telly, but I did enjoy playing it? I can understand your interpretation of it as a sport, but I don't agree with your sentiment. It is a good game, but it is usually supported by sheepish or tribally orientated morons, who think that it is a worthwhile waste of their time and emotions. I think it is indicative of the blind leading the blind, lets be honest, it saved David Beckham's marriage.

It has been scientifically proven that circumcision enables stronger and harder erections, which last longer than the less exposed or hooded penis? That is despite the fact, that Knob Cheese is actually an organic anti-bacterial biproduct, automatically produced by the penis , which has achieved substantial popularity as a fetish to penis worshipping Indian housewives and homosexuals, who are sexually aroused by its nauseating flavour...... I know, there are some really sick phuckers out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,181 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I agree on the turf. we shouldn't be cutting it from anywhere in the country. I dont buy the bull$hit theory that if poor farmers hadnt turf they couldnt heat their homes, the same guys have any amount of money for coal, timber or oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

All non Europeans without a badly needed qualification and employment sorted should be told to **** off somewhere else as our country can’t even look after it’s own .

We are not the conscience of the world , the government should grow a pair of fcking balls and be proud to want more for Irish people

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There is no purpose to circumcision, it is a hygiene cargo cult. Penises are self-cleaning so they don't need skin taken off to allow for cleaning of the urethra opening. Thankfully they have declined in popularity in the USA amongst millenials and Gen-Zers as it was always a weird practice.

Much is made here of the RC church and Irish state partnership, but don't forget the British set up the foundations for that special relationship. It was better that clerics had their training here, rather than running to the Continent and coming back here with perhaps dangerous ideas. Plus it would placate the native population with the bells, smells and spells they so dearly loved.

I think the term self-cleaning is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence. I dread to think what would happen if it was left to self-clean. Luckily, it's probably the easiest part of the body to teach a young lad to give a good wash in the shower. I certainly didn't need any encouragement as a young lad. I'd have sooner forget my armpits than giving the hoodie a good rinse.

But I agree with the sentiment. The notion that cosmetic surgery on infants' genitals is common in some places is pretry outrageous. Once it falls out of fashion it's difficult to imagine it ever becoming fashionable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

I personally find most deli food inedible. I wouldn't feed it to my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Spars battered sausages. I don't know how they managed it, but a sausage wrapped in batter and oven cooked, somehow has NO taste at all. Nothing. It's just something you chew and swallow and it tastes of nothing. That's an achievement in itself in fairness.

• Advertisement

Advertisement