Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

You find food allergies are not as common in less wealthy countries. This is a combination of younger mothers having natural births, larger families, more exposure to a wide range of foods earlier in life, and less inclination to over-parent.

You need to have a worthwhile market in order to make money from any product, including those for people with food allergies.

I also think a lot of adults seem to develop these food allergies or think they have an allergy because they got a spot on their nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I’m comparing Ireland to developed countries like Croatia , Italy and even the UK

I was in a cafe near Trafalgar Square two years ago , sat down with the Mrs for a coffee and asked for a GF brownie or a GF snack of any kind, they looked at me like I’d asked for dolphin steak

we do air b and b during the summer and many mainland European guests have commented how vegan ( and GF ) options are so readily available here compared to Italy or the UK

Lidl have almost half an aisle reserved for GF food , no such aisle in Lidl stores in Wales , I asked the till operator and they said “ there was no demand so they removed it “

as for you’re final comment, you are way off , a large number of people are coughing frequently due to food allergies , they wrongly attribute the symptoms to asthma in some cases , I was that presumed asthma patient , gave up gluten and dairy and all symptoms vanished

While being civil is always important, there is no thanks or recognition for being overly decent , most people don’t appreciate it anyway

age teaches you this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Over 200k single mother’s in ireland I think there’s enough of that craic going on already.

Might be controversial but women need to be not so easy & banging wasters and who only use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just read yet another story about some tosser causing a plane to be diverted cos they were drunk and abusive.

If you do this, you should get an automatic 10yr ban from ever being allowed to fly again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

Give free long term contraceptive implants to those who want them, and lower the price of condoms. That's help somewhat with the single mothers.

Either way the point stands, if a woman can decide early in the pregnancy she doesn't want the responsibility of a child, the same right should apply to the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

How else are they supposed to get a council house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Might be controversial but how about men get a conscience and stop using women. Wear a condom. Women don’t get pregnant on their own. If you wear a condom there is only a small chance of pregnancy and that will save us all on the child allowance.

Women use men too.

Why dont women insist on it?

I think women are the ones who will be dealing with the consequences either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

It's madness that Ireland is housing Ukrainian refugees. Putting aside them taking accommodation from a limited stock, and that I'm pro Ukrainian, I find it astonishing that they cannot relocate back to the west/northwest of their country, the second largest country in Europe. In situ, they are not contributing to their cause, save for maybe sending funds, from employment or Social Welfare, to family. I believe they and their country would be better served if they supported the war effort in Ukraine by supporting in manufacturer/tech. Plus for their and their family's mental health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Rustyman101

Tbh don't think that's a controversial opinion at this stage, I've yet to meet anyone who thinks what's going on is a good idea at this stage.

We are the mugs of Europe.

Agreed on the first point

But the second one no, because a woman getting an abortion isn’t the same as when a child is born, it’s a completely different situation then. And giving men an easy opt out with no responsibility’s whatsoever for their child will have a huge negative effect on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,160 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

EU countries can do their own thing when it suits them. Here our leaders want to be the best boys and girls in the class and maybe get a nice Golden Humanitarian Award ceremony or a cushy NGO job.

We annoyed the EU for decades being a tax haven because that suited us.

I believe the Stop Oil people have lost the room with ridiculous stunts, almost like Rag Week but without the alcohol. Greta went from hero to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Cordell

Greta went from hero to zero.

When was she a hero? She was shielded from criticism by her age, but now that's gone. She is what she has been all along - a tool.

Beautiful women who marry plain looking men are a bit of a mystery to me, it’s quite common in rural parts where the number one priority is that a partner is of local stock , I see it regularly, guys for whom the term “ punching “ is completely insufficient, they must surely be in disbelief at their luck every day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She’s coming across now as a bit of a prick.

a lot of her behaviour as a kid could be excused away as her just being an over enthusiastic, strong, determined, dedicated environmentalist….without media experience or so much self awareness. ie naivety.

but she now comes across in the media as a real arrogant, overbearing and dismissive person… a bit of a prick.

there is footage of her being followed by journalists in some city, Davos I think, they are asking smart assed, cutting yet civil questions with a degree of inferred criticism… and she just proceeds to piss herself laughing in response to most of it. Looks like a bit of a psycho…

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Loads of the Ukrainians here are hundreds of miles from any warzone* but they've learned that Ireland is a soft touch when it comes to providing welfare and benefits to people who aren't from here while there's a simultaneous homelessness problem and accommodation problem for students. Can you honestly blame them for taking advantage? It's human nature. It's a governmental and structural problem here that needs to be fixed without putting the onus on people who have no skin in the game.

*To put into context how ridiculous it is, Ireland is 12 miles from Scotland at its most northerly point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Travel doesn’t broaden Irish people’s minds. 

All they ever do is a J1 in Cape Cod or California. Tour of South East Asia and on to Australia on a backpacking visa. Never forgetting the GAA jersey. 

Back home by your mid/late 20’s to a steady job, marry a local, buy a 3 bed semi or build on a site gifted by your uncle.  Send the kids to the same school you went to. 

Why bother leaving if you’re gonna turn out just like your parents?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Because you said something like that, you will automatically be branded as a Putin-supporter. How dare you say anything about those poor Ukrainians who travelled all the way from a war-torn country to Ireland in their clapped-out Ladas (sorry, I meant brand-new Teslas) </sarcasm>

• Advertisement

It's gas when people here actually expect them to drive over in shïtbox cars or ride donkeys as if they were coming over from Borat's Kazakhstan and get angry when they have better cars than they have themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Cordell

Actually what shouldn't be controversial is that UA registered cars are in fact driven illegally, they are not taxed and not insured. It is a legal requirement that Irish residents register, tax and insure their cars in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I think salmon farming here in ireland should be banned. Farmed salmon has its own section in tesco basically.

The producers want to take farmed from the labeling. 99% of salmon here is farmed.

These fish are medicated against the millions of sea lice that infect their pens. Just imagine hundreds of thousands of salmon squashed together **** all over one another.

Farmed salmon tastes nothing like wild either. The flesh is not even the same colour.

These salmon farms also have a detrimental effect on wild fish. They pick up the sea lice while passing the pens. Also if farmed fish escape they breed with wild fish.

Other countries are banning salmon farming and we are expanding.

Just think twice before getting your medicated **** salmon for Christmas.

• The alternative is salmon will be fished out of existence tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,910 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Watching Lockerbie . The US knew there was a warning against a trans Atlantic PanAm flight . US diplomats and other personnel weren’t on the plane . For a flight coming up to Christmas it was only 2/3 full , which was unheard of.

but they let it go ahead .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,181 ✭✭✭pgj2015

its like a customer of mine once was giving out about travellers, she said look he has a 08 reg car and I only have a 99 reg car, its not fair. The travellers car was probably worth around 1,500 euro at the time, you would think he was driving a brand new Bentley.

I know loads of Refugees from Ukraine, all lovely people so far, they are a great addition to the country in my opinion.

You would have to pity any Irish person who has a problem with them being here, usually total losers from my experience. id say some Irish women are jealous of the Ukrainian women as well for showing them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I know if I had to leave Ireland as a refugee, if be leaving with a massive ball of cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,181 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Another funny one is some Irish people who think the Ukrainian refugees should be happy with a job in Ireland cleaning toilets when they were a lecturer or psychologist in Ukraine lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭con___manx1

It's already happening. Poaching is through the roof with the price of wild fish. A legal 10lb wild fish is around 500 euro. The farms are just making it much worse. Its really sad.

Something will be done eventually when it's way to late as usual 🙃

Some famous restaurants have taken farmed salmon from the menu recently which is good to bring attention to the issue.

Advertisement