Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Let's agree to disagree on the whole bolognese issue.

From my brief research there is no official recipe and each person is free to do what they want although I did read one interesting theory that the lack of garlic in some versions could be down to classism as garlic was traditionally grown in the south of Italy which is and was a poorer region than the north.

The most important thing however is to slowly cook the meat over one or two hours.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

We fully agree with "each person is free to do what they want", but there is in fact an official recipe which explicitly forbids garlic, for whatever reasons.

I don't see how the Chamber of Commerce of a specific region has any authority outside of that region or possibly country it is based in. Can you perhaps cite a European law as to the official recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You can make a good living out of Irish, translating documents few will likely ever read. You'd probably rake it in doing that gig in Brussels.

Language zealots tend to be the most condescending dickheads you could meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teediddlyeye

It wasn't the Bulls field.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Social housing should not be for people who have never worked ,(unless its on medical grounds )

It should be for people with 5 or more years continues employment on lower paid jobs to give them help to get there finances to purchase houses,

Sick of the low life scum getting everything handed to them with no goal of bettering themselves, when hardworking nice people get stuck in no mans land

The majority of housing in this country should be social housing.

The so-called free market in terms of housing has utterly failed and it is time for a new approach. It can be argued that many social issues are down to poor and inadequate housing. So by guaranteeing people a stable housing situation you will also alleviate other problems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Instant coffee should be banned.

I bet once you add in milk and sugar most people especially in the morning wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a good cup of instant coffee and regular coffee.

Lidl does have nice instant Colombian coffee. That's if you like most normal people drink your coffee with milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

My most controversial opinion is that human activity & emissions are not 100% responsible for climate change, in other words I would suggest that we are but one contributing factor.

Controversial I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

As great a player as he was and he was a great player Dennis Bergkamp underachieved slightly at Arsenal.Considering his ability he should have scored way more goals,his goal scoring record is 120 goals in 423 games which isn't all that great for a player of his ability.I know there was a much more to his game than scoring goals but he didn't score enough for Arsenal in my opinion,the spectacular nature of a lot of goals hides the fact that he didn't score enough of them.Maybe if he'd been more prolific Arsenal would have been even more successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

GAA players should not have their managers testify as to their good "character" in sentencing hearings. We all know that lad Hayes is going to walk away from this assault with no changes to his life whatsoever. Thats sadly still the case in this country, where GAA stars are simply above the law. But bringing in your manager to bear witness to how great you really are is an extra kick in the teeth to the victim. He burst open that guys nose and eye but everyone around him is singing his praises.

Im delighted the barrister interrupted the managers glowing reference of Hayes and his assertion that "he regrets his actions" to remind him that Hayes actually pleaded not guilty to all charges, to which the manager didnt know what to say.

There shouldn't be character references allowed at all for any court cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That Limerick hurler should be dropped from the team for good, never mind having his manager telling everyone how great he is.

I played Gaelic football for 20 years but I have to say a lot of inter county players think they are the best thing since sliced bread, I dont get it because its just an amateur sport taken seriously in one Country.

I remember once a friend of mine met a guy we were in school with, the guy said well, what are you up to these days? my friend said im in college studying engineering, what are you up to? the guy said im playing for Sligo. 😂😂 he thought he was the bees knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yeah, its a bizzarre state of affairs in this country where GAA players, who dont forget play an amateur sport and are unpaid, think they are Hollywood royalty who are entitled to jobs, cars and 5 star hotels by pure virtue of who they are. The egos are absolutely insane in so many of them. The Clifford lads in Kerry are a classic example, as well as a lot of the Kilkenny team back in the day.

Indeed, that Limerick fellow even said "Dont you know who I am?". Ha ha, imagine saying that to anybody in a country as tiny as ours. Wankery of the highest order and a classic example of a gigantic ego. Some of their egos are due to them being lauded in their community, handed teacher or banking jobs and getting back slaps from barflys after the latest club win. Its such a brief tiny career where literally nobody outside of this country, and indeed many outside their county, know their names so a lot of them vanish back into obscurity when they hit 35.

This fellow will walk straight back into his team and no doubt still acting the maggot in nightclubs once he gets away with this assault. Thats the way to be to get away with crime in this country, just hit a sliothar...

Claire Daly and Mick Wallace are good politicians.

Yes, they may not dress in fancy suits, but they do make good points and they try and hold EU politicians to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I was chatting a guy on a stag one night, he was from kilkenny, he was having a great laugh at his kilkenny mates, some of them were on the kilkenny hurling team.

The reason your man was laughing was he told me them lads could pull any woman in kilkenny but in the county we were that night, no one would have a club about hurling, its a gaelic football county. The kilkenny lads were all hammered and not a woman between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

• Advertisement

You know that's not what I said, but if you choose to see things in such a simplistic childish narrative, then that is long new.

No they're not.They're as bad as every other politician in Ireland (maybe even more so).They think everything the west has ever done is horrific and everything the Chinese communist party have done is great.They're complete scumbag's in my opinion but have convinced all the anti-establishment types who have never grown up that they are the only ones speaking the truth .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

We all know that lad Hayes is going to walk away from this assault with no changes to his life whatsoever. Thats sadly still the case in this country, where GAA stars are simply above the law.

This simply isn’t true though. It’s really not that controversial an opinion either (if that’s your most controversial opinion, phew! 😂)

Character witness statements and character witnesses are an important a part of the judicial process, they’re about the person who has been convicted of an offence, they’re nothing to do with the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

If you have done your time for a crime, a line should be drawn. Oscar Pistoruis should be allowed to get back to sport. Same for any gaa player who does any sentence. Exceptions etc

... except maybe half a million in wars and famine just in the last decade, but who's counting?

I'm not sure how they can be held responsible for the famine considering it is Saudi Arabia who enacted the blockade.

"The main cause of the crisis is the ongoing Yemeni Civil War. Aid often cannot effectively reach the population because of the ongoing civil war and the blockade of Yemen by Saudi Arabia which started in 2015.[19][20][21][22][23] The blockade was intensified in November 2017 with the closure of all sea and land ports"

The last link is from Human Rights Watch in case you don't trust Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

They've effectively acted as a Russian propaganda outlet in the EU. Previously Daly has pushed HPV vaccine conspiracy theories. So honestly, they do more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Definitely time we stop sending our “protest vote” to Europe.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Just reading about the Irish girl who was stabbed to death in Nottingham last year, the killer has pleaded diminished responsibility as he was suffering a "serious mental illness" at the time. Serious enough to run over 3 pedestrians then stab 2 people to death.

If you're mentally ill enough to do an act like that you should be put down, no ifs or buts. Prison is useless as there's no rehabbing someone so broken, just a waste of time and money. Put them to sleep like we would for a dog with rabies or an aggressive streak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yes, we need them here at home, to fix the country from within!! 🤪

Advertisement