Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭89897

Is the problem the sound of her voice or what shes saying? As a semi interested football watcher I dont hear much different to when its men only commentary, expect its a womans voice and not a mans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Her voice, it all seems so forced and fake and way too over the top, in my opinion.

same as Vicki Sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

For me the tone of voice for a commentator is the most important thing, I generally don't give a toss what any of them say male or female. Rob Hawthorne for example is probably the best soccer commentator out there simply because he doesn't have any ego or annoying traits and is relatively unobtrusive.Same reason I don't mind Lucy Ward as her yorkshire accent is quite pleasant on the ears.

Bian Tyers and MacDara McDonnacha are by far my favourite GAA commentators as there voices are easy to listen to and flow with the game even though I can't make out a lot fo what they are saying as my Irish isn't that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Suckler

This is the problem; the commentators and their 'white knight' defenders don't want to hear this and don't understand this. You're sexist and "have serious issues with their own inadequacies" and that is the summation of the argument.

The example you gave for former camogie players commenting on hurling is correct - much different game. Men's football V ladies football is the same; e.g. Cora Staunton, great ladies player but the men's game is different, particularly to games 15-20+ years ago. Ladies football has come on leaps and bounds from that level.

It's the same for English soccer pundits - Eni Aluko, Jill Scott, Karen Carney - They're terrible pundits, their game is/was different to the men's game and it show's in their commentary.

Post edited by Suckler on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The "defenders" are often just trying to get a rise out of people with that sort of carry on. I wouldn't pay any attention to what they have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

AI is a bit of a conjob. People in that business have tended to talk it up to beyond a level where it is actually at.

I just saw that Eamon Ryan (leader of the Green Party) has 4 children.

How in the name of god can any self respecting environmentalist have so many children.It;s been proven over and over again that having children is the worst thing you can do for the environment as it creates more consumers who will in turn create more consumers down the line, nothing comes close to being so bad for the environment.So why the hell is he not pulled up on this , I ca understand wanting to have a child or maybe 2, but 4 is taking the piss completely for someone who claims to be an environmentalist.

It;s people like him who seem to not realise their hypocrisy and who think taxation is the solution to all environmental issues that do huge damage to the credibility of the green movement which is an extremely important.

So is your issue women commentators or bad commentators? Or do you just not like the sounds of womens voices?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Hard disagree.

I actually find that viewpoint profoundly anti-humanistic. His kids are highly unlikely to grow to be mindless consumers. I mean look at who their dad is. He probably has them home spinning their own clothes.
    We need to get technology to the point where you can have as many kids as you like without negative environmental consequences, that’s the goal.

We don’t want to end up causing our extinction by avoiding having kids, we don’t wanna end up like the panda bears in Fight Club.

I disagree that environmentalists want to use mostly taxation as a way to achieve carbon reduction targets. There are good reasons for introducing carbon taxes but change will mostly be achieved by introducing zero carbon technologies. Carrots not sticks.

Hugely in agreement. A good environmentalist is one that wants achievable and measureable changes so that we can live side by side with the environment. We still need to drive, farm, travel, have kids, build etc doing so in the cleanest and best way for the environment is whats needed.

Taxation is the lazy way out of it, creating change isnt. As you said carrots not sticks

• Advertisement

It's anti excessive children, not anti humanistic

It doesn't matter how environmentally friendly Eamon Ryans kids ( or anyone elses kids) will be they still will consume too much and consume much more than 2 fewer children and also produce more children themselves down the line.The greens all over the world have no problem being anti-humanistic when wanting to restrict people's freedom or tax them to death for their cause.

All our environmental problems are because there are far too many people on the planet. Environmentalists who have too many children (I consider more than 2 too many as 2 replace the man and woman who created them) gigantic hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It would be hypocritical if he told others not to have 4 children when he has 4. What he's doing isn't hypocritical.

If you don't like him or his policies, just say so. Probably best not to use spurious arguments though.

You're also cresting special standards for environmentalists about how many children they should have , and complaining that environmentalists restrict people's freedom...

Environmentalists lecture us on saving the environment all the time.However the fact is having too many children is the most environmentally unfriendly thing you can do.So really a true environmentalist would limit the number of children they have in order to protect the environment.

I expect environmentalists to be extremely environmentally friendly ,if they can't set a good example for everyone else then it's hard to take them seriously.

Sure, sure, sure. Now you're setting rules for how many children they should have, and accusing them of taking your freedom. Think about that for a second.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I really think the Internet should be regulated.

The worst thing about the internet is that it gave some people the tool to make their voice heard, and the belief their voice was important..

Some people are just a*seholes, the type of people who get the comment "Jesus, keep your head down, so and so just walked in" when they enter a pub.

If people needed to put their name beside their opinions there would be a lot less online bullying and hatred.

The same should be true even for text messages read out on the radio, letters to the editor in newspapers etc.

I don't like the sound of screeching women when watching sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Women are given too much leeway for terrible, and very often rude, time keeping.

I notice it basically every day in work, when a woman would come in past the last collection time to post off a letter or parcel and then expect special treatment. I would hazard a guess that they probably come into town, get a coffee, peruse the shops and finally go to the post office at the last moment, whereas a man would get that job done first before the rest.

Often see them rushing to a bus complete with luggage at the very last moment too, rather than arriving at a reasonable time and waiting like any good time-keeper would do.

I don't think I've ever been on time, nevermind early, to any social event with the wife, although I couldn't believe my own eyes when she arrived to our wedding ceremony on time.

It's isn't fashionably late, it's just late.

Would you be okay with a non screeching woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's sad how some people will try to twist your words around to make you sound like a sexist. You're better off just ignoring them tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ah now, R, I think some people do a fine job of showing their misogyny on their own.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Ireland's defense capabilities are a serious embarrassment to the country. We are supposed to be a first world country yet we go with the begging bowl to the Spanish or British when we need to get Irish citizens out of a warzone. We should at least double if not triple our defense spending.

Our defence forces are a bluff. If war broke out, Ireland would be a strategic spot for everyone. Its in between Britain/Europe and the US. Neither Britain or the USbwould allow anyone else to have it, and if we're fighting against Britain or the US in a conventional war, we could spend 50% of GDP on the defence forces and still wouldn't stand a chance.

I'm fine with having a token defence force. There's little point spending tens of billions annyally, maintaining a defence force for decades, only to either be defended by allies or overrun by enemies. Better things to spend money on.

Now that things are heating up, I wouldn't object to spending money on recruitment for full time and reserve forces. But I wouldn't want them to have a large military force for the last 80 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Even if regulating the internet was a good idea it would be far too difficult in reality

The Americans are going to whip TikTok into line. Get it back to the approved talking points about trans, abortion, immigrants democrat vs republican and narrow the discussion like they have done with cable news.

It doesn't seem as difficult as you're making out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

@Greyfox @El_Duderino 09

Hope linking to things is okay in this thread?

The EU just showed us another way of reining in TikTok

Everyone’s attention is on the U.S.’s moves to ban the app, but the European Union just showed it’s not messing around.

https://zpravy.kurzy.cz/765472-commission-stress-tests-platforms-election-readiness-under-the-digital-services-act/

• the Commission has conducted a simulation exercise with designated platforms, Digital Services Coordinators, and civil society organisations to test their readiness against election manipulation and interference in relation to the European election.

EU is doing its best to introduce regulation with DSA!

Was going to post earlier but didn't, don't want people saying I going on about it too much?

No words were twisted, the hidden misogny just didnt stand up to the questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

People like what they like no matter what those creepy male feminists say.

It's basically part of our genes as a civilization for both sexes to want time exclusively in the company of the same sex.

Some people are honest, some people pretend for self preservation, and some people like to persecute honest people to earn social credit. But everyone knows the truth.

You cant apply that logic to not wanting to listen to women talking about the biggest and most popular sport on the planet.

Honestly thinking men that believe in the equality of the sexes are creepy is problamatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Every family of at least 3 kids will have one black sheep, who will fall into one of these categories:

1. Will marry a person of a different ethnicity (and have the cheapest wedding of the siblings!).
    2. In terms of career, can go a number of ways. Either they'll flit between a number of run-of-the-mill jobs without settling down (compared to more 'successful' siblings), will be over the age of 30 and still won't have found themselves (mightn't have even bothered learning to drive, still rely on mammy and daddy), or will constantly be on the go travelling/studying and thus won't get a 'real' job till their late-20s.
    3. Will often hold 'alternative' views on everything from vaccines to activism to politics. Can get quite self-righteous in doing so to.

It's actually uncanny. I ran the numbers across my entire extended family, and my wife's family circles too, and there is always one that fits into at least one of the above. Not saying their is anything wrong with it per se (apart from 3.) but it's definitely a common human condition.

Advertisement