Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options
1162163164165166168»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭aero2k

Any particular reason why? I'm fully supportive of police using reasonable, up to and including lethal, force when the circumstances warrant it. In the video I saw the guy on the floor was face down and not looking like much of a threat, and the seated guy had his hands behind his head, and moved to a kneeling position on the floor without hesitation or resistance. There were plenty of cops there, so easy to restrain the guys without the need for violence.

Did you see a video providing any justification for the cop's actions, or do you just like seeing random males having their head kicked and stamped on?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭teediddlyeye

If I'm ever in stop and go traffic I like to creep along at a speed that makes it awkward for people in manuals.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re after reminding me of one night few years back when I forgot to lock the front door and I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. As I was making my way across the hall a guy popped his head around the front door, we looked at each other and all I could think to say was “Do you mind like? 🤨”

He popped his head back out the door and even closed it properly. I only copped after that if I’d actually still been asleep he’d have emptied the place 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It made me wonder if the English had finally decided to adopt the French way, but then the outrage started as expected.

Maybe this is a controversial opinion, but I think the police would get a lot more support for the use of force in appropriate circumstances, if they avoided this sort of violence against people who are not posing any threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The softly softly approach does not defer people from acting like savages.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,286 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Most of them are after easy pickings, like trying car doors in case someone forgot to lock theirs and rifling what's inside.

One night I slept in my van and at about 3 or 4 in the morning someone starts trying all the handles. Thankfully I had it locked and he moved onto the next one and the next.

I fully agree. The level of force should be as much as required to effect an arrest, or subdue a violent suspect. Nothing in the video clip I saw supported the level of force being used.

Unfortunately, the only person I saw in the video acting like a savage was the cop, so maybe you are saying he should have been battered by his colleagues. I don't know how the two lads were behaving prior to the head-kicking, but once they were passive then force used should be just enough to arrest them.

They might deserve to be severely punished, but that's for the courts to decide, not the cops. Is it different in France?

Advertisement