Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I probably won't get involved because it's not a big issue for me. It's not going to be solved today or tomorrow. As long as we arrive at a fair solution, I don't really mind what that solution is.

What will you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…..from a person that has struggled with mental health issues for most of my life, and will for the remainder of my life….

…holy fcuk!

…i dont know how mental health works….

…i dont know everything about mental health issues…

…and i never will…

…but im always willing to learn….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Poster posts something controversial (that they'd 100% stand over) on a controversial opinions thread and causes controversy. Holy god.

There's always a fooking pile-on when something negative is said about that 'movement' though, isn't there?

But I am an adult and willing to learn and look forward to a viable solution too. In fairness, it doesn't affect my everyday life in the slightest, but am still allowed hold a stance against it. But admit that I over-stepped the mark on the mental health know-how bit . Besides, I don't exactly preach my views to the general public- they are a different kind of nutjob entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…your posts are coming across as being almost egotistical in regards mental health issues, such issues are in fact extremely complex, we may in fact never truly fully understand these complexities, even seasoned mental health professionals truly struggle to understand these issues, but we are learning, we are improving, but theres always short comings and deficits in understanding…

…i truly have empathy for you and your loved ones that are struggling, but there can be great differences from person to person, disorder to disorder, and on and on and on….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In fairness, it's more ignorant to be claiming you have some kind of expertise on the psychology and neurology of transgender people based on living with a person with depression. Now you're getting offended because it got pointed out as rather stupid. You have anecdotal experience of one person with depression. I'd imagine most people do but most wouldn't use it to justify a personal opinion on transgender people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There is a very sinister anti trans movement happening at the moment. There wasn't anything like it before the Gender Recognition Act 2015, which is when you would expect backlash.

Generally, I don't think anyone's personal opinion about trans people is important. Unless something personally affects you or your close ones, then just keep your personal opinion to yourself. Basic respect for other people.

Ah, I think it would be interesting to hear more about your thoughts on the intersex boxer with a vagina who you called a man.

I don't pretend to fully understand it but you were pretty certain about them being a man with a vagina. So it would be interesting to hear more of what you think about it.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think you'll find both are officially recognised as branches of science.

Out of interest, what do you think psychology and sociology actually do?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's the claim you made about kowing mental health, not the opinion you expressed.

I wasn't going to touch that. I presume they've seen some pop psychology and think psychology generally is a scam.

The work that goes into making good social science research robust, is pretty impressive. And it always takes loads of triangulation to move it forward,Some journals will publish poor research, not much you can do about that.the people who work in the field and take it seriously know the difference between the robust research and the poor stuff.

• Advertisement

I was thinking he was confusing psychology with psychotherapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s a thread to express controversial opinions. Why does castletownman have to defend it at such length? It’s hardly surprising to see the usual suspects involved in the pile on though.

Yeah, it's a thread to express controversial opinions. Why would anyone take exception to being asked the premises that lead to the conclusion?

If you have a well reasoned opinion, then it's no bother to explain it if challenged.

The one that went from 'I know how mental health works because I know someone with depression. Therefore I understand the transgender issue'. That was a funny one.

The best part was even though the premises were rubbish, they didn't change their conclusion. That's class to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,011 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Have you read the OP, and in particular the Mod Notes for this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

And as I clarified, I used know in the 'aware' sense not the 'I'm the undisputed authority on the matter' sense.

Here's an opinion, I could spout pro-Putin, pro-Israel, anti-immigration, racist and misgonyistic bile and still get less abuse than a gramatically ambigious statement about mental health.

Quite ironic that.

Anyway, I'm done arguing, haves myself a weekend to enjoy after a morning's work.

Yeah I get you. So one of the reasons which lead to the conclusion turned out to be untrue. But the conclusion didn't budge. Riddle me that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I do think there's a weird anti science angle from people with strong opinions on certain groups. Go back ten, fifteen years and they'd be complaining about gay people and saying that it's unnatural and there's no scientific basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Well,let's get the thread back on track.

I propose the voting age is raised to 21,younger people are too immature to be picking governments.

God forbid they ever let 16 year old kids vote,that would be a disaster.

I remember it from my childhood. Around the time of the first gay kiss on Fair City was a big moment that got a lot of people talking. They floated the storyline a few weeks in advance and there was discussion on talk shows and all that. Lots of "think of the children" talk.

I vividly remember a friends mother concluding "its one thing if they want to be gay in private, but they shouldn't do it in front of children". And lots of conflating gay with paedophile.

I suppose the thinking was you could turn children gay if they saw gay people. Now we're doing the exact same thing with trans people. Think of the children.

In the end I think Fair City cut away just before the kiss. One of the gay characters was called Simon. Simon became a byword for gay in my school.

Totally agree. It's the same kind of people expressing the same fear and disgust at people who are different. In 20 years trans people will be fairly normal and the same kind of people will move on to a new topic to express the same fear and disgust.

• Advertisement

It's the ones that say things like 'there's only two genders and you can't transition' and then say their viewpoint is based on science that gets me.

Controversial opinion: peoplexwho say this don't know what science is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

God forbid they ever let 16 year old kids vote,that would be a disaster.

Or, the worst it would do is get more young people interested in politics if they have an investment in the outcome, pretty much the same as adults do already… turned out as either a good or a bad thing depending upon how satisfied or not anyone is with the outcome 🤔

Ideally, yes; but I think you overestimate 16-year-olds.

That said, the same could apply to adults who already vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well where I was coming from I guess is that they already learn about the political process in school, but they don’t get to exercise a right to vote until they’ve left school, by which time they’re already at the “pin the tail on the donkey as they’re all the same” stage of apathy.

Full disclosure: my young lad at 16 would’ve voted for SF if he’d had the opportunity, and I wondered at the time where I went wrong. His opinions have changed since then and now he’s at the “pin the tail on the donkey as they’re all the same” stage of apathy, which I’m kinda like “well what goals have you that you think could be achieved by any particular party?” It’s not helped him narrow down his options 😖

Fair point, seems to be a debate on that issue.

But even so, that's a long way off 'pseudoscience' as the previous poster claimed.

The problem is the same regardless of the age group: cymicism and pessimistic apathy.

And that's only going to be fixed by politians actually giving a **** and actually getting things done - no matter how much education you put on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭reniwren

Probably mentioned by a few already, the world would be a much better place without people in it.

It depends on what you want. If you really want the politicians and the politics we have right now, then definitely don't change it. If you're not thrilled with the current situation then it makes sense to look at how we got here.

The voters choose the politicians. The voters are 62% of eligible voters. They're disproportionately old, wealthy, educated, home owners, have transport to polling stations and are able to vote on weekdays. So they're disproportionately responsible for the politicians we have.

One thing we could to do to increase voter turnout would be weekend voting.

• Advertisement

It's all an illusion - thete are no reliable alternatives to vote in. Who's going to solve the housing situation? Whos going to sort out the HSE situation? Sinn Fein? People before Profit? The National Part

Voting changes nothing - and as long as that's the case, teenagers are, for the most part, nit going to get involved.

Advertisement