Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

We'd have been a Big Fella household to be fair but yes, Dev did get a lot of grief not all warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

With good reason. Dev was a dreamer who did more harm than good for the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

inspired by another thread on the site, I have no issue at all with inheritance tax.

If you get left money by someone, it's free money, you have done nothing to earn it, paying some tax is nothing to complain about when receiving free money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭cms88

Republicans or whatever they like to call themselves are always very quick to call out others for things they have no issues with doing. The line ''Always the victims never your fault'' comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Read some of Collins' musings. If you didn't know any better you'd think it was a rip off of Dev's "comely maidens".

• Advertisement

When the Ardnacrusha project was put to Dev - he replied, “what would we need all that electricity for?”
    🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The person leaving it to you has paid tax on it already though - it is theirs and they are giving it to a person of their choosing. It is akin to someone paying for your lunch, but then you having to go in and pay again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

All money has tax paid on it. It's not the money that pays tax, it's the person.

If the person lives, no more tax is paid, if me (or whoever) gets money for nothing, then I have no issue paying tax on that free money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Harika

How about a compromise? the person who inherits pays the taxes and the one who gave gets the taxes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I think a United Ireland would be a disaster for those in the 26 counties and hope it doesnt come to pass.

We love to talk about how the Irish built England, but we fail to recognise that if it wasnt for English jobs, and the "Queen's pound" coming back to these shores, huge tracts of western Ireland would have been completely abandoned. On that note, the worst treatment many of those people faced came about when working for Irish people in England.

Rugby is not what it is cracked up to be and any parent encouraging their kids take it up would want to take a look at themselves. It is getting more and more dangerous.

Athletics and many top level sports are absolutely riddled with performance enhancing drug use. The tests simply cannot track it if done in the 'correct' manner. Elite level athletes are generally highly self-oriented people who will do just about anything to win, if they think they will get away with it. All you have to do is look at how TUI's were abused in cycling to recognise the culture that is out there.

On that note, lionel messi's medical application of human growth hormone was taken over by barcelona's doctors when he was a child. Around the same time, numerous spanish teams (barca included) were working with doctors who were found to have been running doping programmes. The spanish government took the decision to destroy all the evidence without disclosing any of it. I think messi was probably doped in a similar way they used TUI's in cycling, and that a pile of top spanish footballers were protected by their government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You know summer is drawing to a close. I see its the annual mammy's complaining about lack of school bus services for their children, certainly on local radio anyway.

If getting the kids to school is such a problem, surely a few of the parents could band together and arrange a private mini-bus or whatever. We did it 20 years ago when availability wasn't the same as it is now. Easier to take to the airwaves to complain I suppose.

If its not that, they are complaining about the cost of uniforms/school books. But when you break it down, and budget appropriately, its not that big an expense, especially if you are willing to forego your own luxury purchases (online shopping and the likes) for even a week.

All want, want, want and no resolve through adversity any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Absolutely. We pay lip service to the idea of meritocracy, and inheritance is the exact opposite of that. It's inheriting someone else's merit.

We wouldn't accept someone saying their mother had a PhD, so they can inherit a masters degree. Or their dad worked for 40 years as a plumber so they can inherit 20 years plumbing experience.

Some people work 30 years to own a house and others just inherit a house. It's a bonkers distortion of meritocracy.

If you're enthusiastic about inheritance, that's fine, but you need to accept you're also opposed to actual meritocracy.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

It's very funny when people who's only knowledge of Collins is from a highly inaccurate movie, give Big Mick 21st century values and saying he'd save us all from the clutches of the Catholic church if only he had lived.

Collins could hardly have done worse than Dev with regard to the church??

Nobody should be allowed to stay in power as long as Dev (21 years as Taoiseach, 14 years as President). This is not good for any country as mistakes get multiplied over time.

He couldn't have done any better.

Mick was a good Catholic boy who said his prayers too. If he lived it would have been him kissing arch bishop's rings, not Dev.

The last laundries closed in the oh-so-enlightened 1990s, long after Dev shuffled off.

Dev wasn't a dictator who seized power. People voted for Dev as President. Democracy is a bitch, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's more akin to having to pay for tax on the gifts at your own wedding.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭cms88

As i've said before parents love nothing more than complaining about being parents. They chose to have kids yet many will make out they were somehow forced into it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'd nearly suspect the scrote got mixed up between The Big Fella and Dev.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I have a kid, I complain about it sometimes but it's just blowing off steam. Parents all love being parents really. It's very hard work but very rewarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yip, that time of the year when we get media reports telling us the average cost to send a child back to school is something daft like €800 to €1000.

I have sent several kids back to school many times, and it costs a fraction of that.

But hey, why let the truth get in the way of a rant on Liveline or CB Today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It must come as a bit of a shock to parents actually having to pay for something though.

Ah it does, yeah. Once parental leave was over and sent the child to nursery, a 1,200 monthly bill would leave a big hole in anyone's finances. Big adjustment for anyone who doesn't have 1,200 a month to spare, wouldn't you think?

But surely everyone knows that childcare is expensive. If you can’t afford to have children then maybe do not have them.

Obviously. And when a 1,200 a month fee kicks in, you'd obviously notice it.

It would be unusual to never talk about. You notice how much of your wage goes straight out on childcare so you can work. It also makes you wo for how a single parent could make it work unless they were on mega money.

It's not that big a deal but I'm amused that anyone would be cross about a parent mentioning a new 1,200 monthy cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Most controversial opinion of mine especially when in Ireland:

I strongly dislike Palestinian flags in public, especially if waved by Irish people wrongly believing that anything Palestinian is good, and anything Israeli is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I’d echo this. Went to All Together Now and they were all over the shop. I personally think a lot of it is a fashion statement. A bit like the REPEAL jumpers. For a while there it helped me avoid people I just wouldn’t like. And I strongly supported repealing the 8th.

I’m not sure many agree but I’m sickened that politics have become so overt in the modern day. Day-to-day I really couldn’t care about somebodies politics and I’ll happily keep it private to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Usually flown by the local nut jobs, unemployed trouble makers, do-gooders, attention seekers etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Out of tolerance ( certainly not out of personal opinion ) I would find it acceptable if the Palestinian flag was flown on a protest in vicinity or near the Israeli embassy. But in Ireland having a Palestinian flag seems to be fashionable with anybody who thinks that they "care" and are on the "side of the good ones".

To me Palestinian flags symbolize terror, kidnapping, murder and repeated rape. Anybody flying a Palestinian flag would symbolize to me that they support all that injustice and inhumanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The people I know who waive the Palestinian flag do so because they are of the opinion that mass murder of women and children should not be tolerated by the Western world.

Advertisement