Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

1175176177178179181»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pineapple on a pizza is nice.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Not as nice as a slice of pineapple with gammon ham.

One of the nicest dinners in the world if you add potatoes, sweetcorn with butter on top with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I wouldn't be against introducing massive penalties for phone use in cars.

I drive a bit and every 2nd car is now texting or viewing their phones. It will only get worse and I have no doubt it is the main reason road deaths have spiked.

Give people 6 points + or land them with hefty fines north of €500.

That'd put manners on people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Better again if they made efforts to create more safe places to pull in.

Phones are a part of life now. Whether it's using Google maps, talking or texting on the phone, or just choosing music or podcasts.

If there were places to pull in to use the phone every 10 or 15 minutes, and bigger penalties for hiding phones outside those places, that would be a good policy.

I was driving when smartphones came in. So it would be sn adjustment for me. But it would be better to adapt and make it normal for young drivers to do it the right way from the start. Like drink driving. It was an adjustment for my parents generation to stop drinking and driving, but it was normal for my generation to just not drink if you're driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

In much the same way I'd have my guard up in cities with a reputation for pick-pocketing, or I'd be wary engaging with tracksuited youths in Dublin at night these days, I also get a sense of worry when I see an arab/muslim looking person in the middle of a Western styled gathering. Or on a busy train or whatever.

Can't help it if I automatically stereotype. I'm sure a lot of it went on when an Irish accent was picked up in the UK in the 70s/80s, but at least that was politically motivated, not ideological backwardness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you want them to now create places to pull in specifically so motorists can check their phones?

that is a controversial opinion!

IF they also brought in much heavier penalties for using the phone whole driving. Yeah.

Controversial opinion:

I'm not impressed by criminals who think they're doing something moral by attacking sex offenders in prison. They're in prison because they've been deemed a threat to the community and because they committed crimes against the community. ALL of them, not just the sex offenders.

If they think they're able to draw a moral line in the sand with them on the side of the normal law abiding people, and this makes them good members of society, them there wrong. They're just continuing to be thugs inside prison.

Ah yeah, fair enough. Some people are just easily frightened or anxious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how about we just bring in the heavier fines? and expect motorists to be adult enough to be able to avoid looking at their phone 'every ten or fifteen minutes'?

Sure. You could do that. The more successful way to get behaviour change is to offer a facility to change behaviour.

I don't suppose anyone will need to pull in EVERY 10 or 15 minutes. But you know you can call someone back in 15 minutes when you get a call.

Maybe you prefer the authoritarian hard line, but I usually prefer voluntary compliance backed up with law, rather than simply relying on threat of law.

Each to their own. Are the government suggesting increased penalties for using the phone while driving?

authoritarian because i don't think we should provide nonsense infrastructure for motorists? if you say so.

give me a context where if a driver needed to check their phone, they would not be ten or fifteen minutes from somewhere to pull in and safely do so; if i want/need to do so, i am able to do so even without dedicated 'phone checking' laybys. it's never been a problem before.

who would police these laybys, to ensure people are genuinely using them just to take calls, and not simply being taken up as free parking spaces by motorists?

i take back my assertion that your opinion is controversial. it's not controversial, it's just a ludicrous idea.

I think you missed the point of the post, insofar as you didn't respond to it at all.

I presume there are already lots of filling stations, and laybys which could be used. Probably not much change needed, which is great.

Why do you want to police the laybys now?you're made for being policed.

I clearly didn't get the point of your post so - I thought you were saying 'if we're going to clamp down on illegal use of phones while driving, it's only fair that we boost the opportunity of legal use of phones by providing laybys', but obviously there's more to it than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve driven from Cork to Dublin and other similar distances and never had any problems not physically interacting with the phone whilst driving….

Facebook, twitter, TikTok, WhatsApp… your life won’t crumble if you are inactive and can’t read messages or interact with people or those services for a few hours….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

all those apps are designed to be addictive, so thats exactly what we re doing with them, thank fcuk ive never used them, ive enough sh1te in my life….

Yeah you missed it.

It was about voluntary compliance vs just relying on punishment.

You seem to favour the pure positive reinforcement of a negative stimulus. I think it's sensible to facilitate compliance rather than just punish.

Not to worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,048 ✭✭✭suvigirl

New cars where everything is screen based are a massive distraction for drivers also. Car too hot? Look.at the screen to change the temperature. Wrong radio station? Look.at the screen to change the stations.

i don't think i missed anything so - regardless of what i think about 'facilitating compliance', your idea of 'facilitating compliance' is to provide laybys every ten to fifteen minutes of driving to allow them to use their phones.

like i said, it's a ludicrous idea, and redundant also.

• Advertisement

apparently the 'next gen' of euro NCAP regulations will dock a full star off a car's rating if certain basic functions in the car are not accessible through physical controls (i.e. ones that can be operated with muscle memory)

Advertisement