Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Being a single mother shouldn't get you on a housing list. Particularly when they demand to live close to granny. If you like granny that much then live in her house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

All hippies aren't nice friendly easy going live and let live people. I know of a particular group of them and they are awful, very unlikable people, not the way I thought hippies were supposed to be.

Another one. The housing list should not be attractive. Build basic but functional buildings to house those on the list. No super fancy mod cons, the bare minimum (that a landlord is required to provide in a private rental). If the person is truly in dire need they should be glad of 4 walls, a roof, hot water, cooking and washing facilities. The rest they can provide themselves.

And actually charge them for it, automatically deducted from their income or welfare. Doesn't have to be a a huge amount, but make them contribute. Very easy to do.

If they damage the property its an automatic eviction and banned from re-applying for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think RTE spend way too much time covering 'dramatic' deaths. It's quite ghoulish. Deaths should be reported for 2 days max and then their families should be left alone. Creeslough was an example - the local parish priest was on the media daily for about 2 weeks. RTE were camped there. The soldier in Lebanon is the same. The public doesn't need to hear that he was a great hurler for the Junior As.

It never happens to more 'normal' deaths which are equally as traumatic to their families e.g. multiple road deaths.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...do some boards members ever get bored of their prejudices, seriously!

...again, we dont actually live in a world of equal opportunities, we know what is required to live a more comfortable, healthier and prolonged life, and having secure more comfortable accommodation is a critical component of that, but some want to preserve that for only certain sections of society! so effectively you want those lower on the socioeconomic scale to be housed in hovels! ah shur, why not keep them down! its clearly obvious, many, if not most lower on this scale, actually cant provide the rest for themselves, such are the costs of modern living, again, this is clearly obvious!

..so you want to further reduce welfare, how would you expect them to provide the 'rest for themselves', under such conditions! yes, maybe automatic deduction is a good idea, but heres an idea, maybe increase welfare, in order to facilitate this, as most, if not all monies received would more than likely be spent into the economy, almost immediately upon receiving of, benefitting all....

...so where would they be housed if such as ban was implemented?

...some boards member talk absolute sh1te at times, thank fcuk such folks have fcuk all to do with implementing polices!

Not hovels, just basic shelter. Tell me why a private renter only legally has to be provided with the bare minimum and basics by their landlord, while the sponger who contributes nothing to society should get top class accommodation handed to them?

...again, you cant even withhold your prejudices, people dont chose to be lower on the socioeconomic scale!

...cause it is a business model, and rentiers are deemed more capable of providing themselves with other needs, and those lower on scale more then likely cant

...again quality accommodation makes sense, it provides those lower on the scale with a better quality of life, increasing their life expediency, and potentially reducing reliance on the health system, as they age....

...again, all citizens pay taxes, including welfare recipients!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Giving out about welfare recipients, poorer people and travelers is not a controversial opinion on the Social and Fun section of boards.

It's a pass time around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Irish fisherman have been crying for decades they were sold out to the EEC. And possibly it is true and they have a good point.

However now we learn that some have trafficked migrant labourers working for near nothing. Sympathy gone.

It's good for sure to support processing facilities in the likes of Killybegs. But I do not see it worthwhile to prop up and give grants to Irish fishermen. If a Spanish super trawler can do the job and land the fish in Donegal at a lower price than better still.

You would think that fishing would be like gold to Ireland, a natural advantage but it hasn't been for a long time. And for the fisherman that are left they do not help themselves. Going on the radio and shouting bravado about stopping Russian navy war games 🙄

We cannot condemn Qatar now with the actions of Irish fishermen

• Advertisement

nature of the beast id say, sh1t sector, made sh1tter by liberalisation of the market, forcing them to engage in effective slavery..... still isnt right to behave as so, but....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

To paraphrase the Silicon Valley TV show

1: It’s a smart fridge

2: This is the epitome of pointless tech. What possible use is there for this?

1: You can see what’s inside without opening the door!

2: What? You mean like that one? *points at a fridge with a glass door.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,268 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

In my opinion, the modern tech industry is the most over-rated around, and no other industry in history pats itself on the back more.

I'll be having a few drinks with lads in the app industry over the Christmas period, and they'll spend a good portion of the night rabbiting on about how great their role is. But yet, if I asked them to break it down to lay-man's speak to describe exactly what they do, they won't be able to. UX this, streamlining that. Open plan offices though.

I know a good few in the industry that converted to vegetarianism,veganism and other -isms for "the good of the planet", yet it's tech that are responsible for the data centres. Irony lost on them.

It has arguably made older people more scared of change (online banking) and susceptible to fraud (phishing) in new, unique ways. It has made younger people more withdrawn and apparently more anxious, and has made wider society in general less friendly and 100m miles an hour (I understand the irony of me posting so on an internet forum).

At least the big-bad energy companies provide a vital service. The majority of apps created are first-world luxuries we can do without.

Well I would view it differently to you and argue that giving basic shelter and accommodation might encourage those recipients to do better, maybe get further education or a qualification and work their way up to providing their own accommodation.

I don't see the value in just handing something out for nothing in return, where is the incentive to make any positive changes? There is none, so those individuals will just sit back and take, and expect to be provided for for the remainder of their life and demonstrate to their kids that they too can follow in the same manner and be looked after by the state, instead of going out and making their own way in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

But RTE cant help themselves and have to make sure that when people die if there is any tiny history of a link to the GAA they have to use it and tell everyone what a great GAA man or woman they were , as if somehow this makes them a more decent Irish person more worthy of our sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/almost-40-million-owed-dublin-25524294

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Isn’t it very simple, if wages are only paid once a month instead of weekly or forthnightly then that means less time spent doing the work.

think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Here’s a thought.

if life’s so fooking **** & cost of living etc etc have they thought about getting a thing called jobs?

no sympathy atal for anybody on welfare, I’ve been on welfare it’s shite, I got a job and am much the better off for it ( sometimes)

people gone to lazy & want everything handed to them for nothing. **** off

So many of our social problems stem from the policy of rewarding people to stay in bed & do nothing. This needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ManyMondays

Anyone earning under 39K a year, especially single people should be entitled to social housing and they shouldn't have to be a single parent to get housing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

None of that is right:

Working class families don't have noticeably more kids than middle class ones nowadays. Immigrants are the ones having big families these days.

It's a myth that welfare pays better than a job. Working class women having a baby without a man in the picture is due to lack of career aspirations and social pressure, not because the welfare pays so well.

Travellers don't have bigger families for the welfare, they do it for cultural reasons, because traveller women can't disobey their husbands, and because birth control isn't used as often by them due to Catholicism and lack of access to it. In any case it's not as many as you'd think, someone quoted 5.3 people per household with a married couple which means only 3.3 kids per family. The days of 9 kids are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

This thread has been hijacked into a welfare rant so beloved of After Hours

And complaining about welfare is hardly controversial in these parts?

Can we get controversial opinions ? 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I mean, you could try castrating a woman, but I think you'll find it difficult...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wait till you hear about how much local authorities are owned by businesses for rates.

...again, this is a mythical world you live in!

...the stats! long term welfare recipients are very unlikely to ever be able to obtain average industrial waged jobs or higher, try support yourself on 30k or less, and see how far you get! yes there are exceptions to this fact, yourself being one, but.....

...so you have no sympathy for welfare recipients that have unfortunately lost their job for whatever number of reasons from simple redundancy, health care issues, including loved ones health care issues, child care issues etc etc!

...again, many welfare recipients are in fact stuck in their perspective situations, some for the reasons outlined!

Go on so?

Better chance of the rates being recovered, if the businesses continue trading.

Piss all chance of the dole merchants paying their rent arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

The Bible was translated into Irish by Irish protestant reformists who were studying at Cambridge university. The main translator was Nehemiah Donnellan who I believe is one of the founding fathers of Eaglais Na hEireann. He went on to become the bishop of Tuam.

It is funny that the Roman Catholic church never bothered translating it to Irish? They had over 1000 years to get the finger out.

It was envisaged by the Irish Reformists that translating the bible into Irish would allow native speakers better access to its' teaching. The hope was that it would further isolate The Vatican from their influence. You have to remember that only priests and scholars understood Latin. This was a power agenda as well. It gave priests carte blanch to interpret their own understanding of what they thought was appropriate. They had control over what or how it was to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Things people never asked to be translated into Irish; reams of government documents and the Bible

This thread is incredibly low on controversy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It is funny that the Roman Catholic church never bothered translating it to Irish?

Well it's not that they didn't bother, it's that they didn't want to have it translated for the reason you gave.

It would allow ordinary people access to it and question the church.

And it wasn't just Irish, It was the same across Europe, translation of the bible was a big part of the reformation

Advertisement