Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• People who have to be on psychiatric medication for life should not have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

But the criminals depicted in the Sopranos are monsters. As are the non-criminals. Every single character, with one minor exception, is a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,169 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irish people are thin skinned and easily triggered. Can dish it out alright but can't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Oh absolutely, I was in Wales and Cheshire as well as Shropshire over the summer, most towns and villages were beautiful, most villages and towns here are ugly by comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I think it would be easier to list my non controversial opinions. To mention a few things, I don't agree with the modern feminist movement as it isn't about equality, I wouldn't have a problem if it was but it is steeped in misandry and "female empowerment" means they want to gain power over men. I don't understand why these feminists want "power" anyway. I have never wanted power, it seems to be a very narcissistic trait to be obsessed with gaining power.

I also don't consider the IRA to be terrorists for the most part, yes bombing was terror but killing soldiers isn't terrorism. Not every act the IRA executed was terror. The southerners are well brainwashed, they were all apologising to the British for the recent saga about the football team singing that song. The British honour terrorists every year when they wear the poppy and fund the pensions of veterans from the troubles. Meanwhile the commander from Bloody Sunday still has his OBE.

TUD and DCU aren't real universities. UCD and TCD are.

Daniel Toscan has questions to answer over non-appearance at Sophie Du Plantier's funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sure seeing as you are here you might as well get your own controversial opinion out in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, Ireland has very attractive towns and absolute kips of towns too.

So does Britain.

The end.

• Advertisement

Vogue Williams doesn't really use Fairy washing products and buys her stuff in ALDI instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

John Ryan tried to flog Broadsheet.ie to Paddy Cosgrove but the deal fell through because Cosgrove would only pay in crypto.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ah come on now Emmet there is nothing controversial about that, its an anonymous forum you won't damage your left leaning liberal image by saying something thats unpopular.

Surely, People who have to be on psychiatric medication for life *should have kids.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Climate Change and Gender Identity issues are fabricated distractions to keep young ppl distracted from the fact that any sense of community spirit in the West has been sacrificed for a quick buck (by their elders) and all optimism has gone East. Right now our, oh so caring, media has convinced them that dying your hair colour blue, waving flags at parades and pursuing your creative passion projects on Youtube will lead to good life outcomes for 20- & 30-somethings! Instead they're going to find out that they've been betrayed and <it's actually too cruel for words to write here>.

(OP: This is best thread on here in a very long while.) 

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We protest a reasonable amount of time but successive governments over time tend not to listen..

we protested regarding..

water charges

the environment

cost of living

and … it comes to the realisation that successive governments don’t listen because they have done and continue to make decisions to undermine the fairness of life here AND the wellbeing of Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Anyone whom blindly supports the existence of the special criminal court,is neither left or liberial leaning....

People going around labeling others all sorts amounts to classic projection of their own prejudices 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭a2deden

People on social welfare dont deserve social housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

We should definitely do everything possible to discourage the use of bicycles and e-scooters, and encourage more people to use cars instead. As an overweight, middle-aged man who gave up on life years ago, the last thing I want to see is healthy people parading their healthiness around the place. The world would be a much better place if everyone was like me, driving a single-occupant car through rush hour traffic twice a day. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? There'd be enough space for all the extra cars, right? I mean, it wouldn't result in absolute gridlock, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

A fair amount of Irish are up their own arse from thinking their moral opinions , are actual facts.

You are a 'bad person' sinply because you dont go along with their moralistic world view.

I think this is largely due to our education system, which never encourages open debating. Also there is a huge lack of diverse opinions in Irish media such as RTE six news which will never show certain groups in a bad light .e.g they will report on refugees while studiously omitting facts and hiding faces (of men typically) and details of their national origin when it doesn't suit the narrative . They will repeat the criticism that Ukranian ambassador gave about lack of accommodation but not balance with other comments from general society.

Sure the same happens everywhere but there is a moral rush to judgement part folks love here and its driven by media and the education system not saying that it is ok to hold different opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

United Ireland is a cynical support building exercise. It garners interest from all demographics, young, old, rich, poor, unemployed, retired, single parent etc. etc.

SF never have to deliver on it and in the meantime the other parties are busy saying why ‘this is not the time’ instead of talking about what they are delivering for their constituents.

It sells newspapers/clicks so the media get behind it. Politicians can’t say ‘Let’s talk about something else that affects people’s day to day’ or they’ll be accused of being anti-United Ireland. More clicks.

Come election time, people will remember the negativity and vote accordingly.

It’s a political masterstroke really.

(In reality, The UK will be back in the EU before we see a United Ireland.)

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Remove the requirement to translate all official documentation into Irish.

It costs 10s of millions to placate a tiny handful of fanatics.

Also stop wasting valuable classroom time teaching children Irish. Use the time to teach them Economics and Philosophy instead.

In a generation we'll reap the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The notion of inheritance is a terrible idea. We pay lip service to meritocracy: where the hard working, clever people get to the top. But inheritance ensures that some people can inherit their ancestors' merit. It's the opposite of meritocracy.

Taxing wealth of people who die and making education equally excellent for everyone, would ensure the clever, hard working people get to the top and lazy, stupid people are shuffled to the bottom.

The notion of a noble class of people should left in the past and abolished into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,169 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The water charges protest was the only one that spooked govt and the only one that worked.

Environment protests: A jolly for school children.

Cost of living: A hodge podge of the left alphabet soup parties and weirdos waving/wrapped in tricolours that no-one takes seriously anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

My own unpopular opinion is that this is horsecrap - that if people wanted to protest they could, but they dont, so suck it up.

My other unpopular opinion is that we get the government we deserve. The Irish thing is always to blame someone else. Own it, FFS.

People tend to protest more on local issues,than national ones....I remember protests/marches for cardiac/cancer care services in WRH getting 25K in the red square

Which why likes of shell-to-sea gotten so bitter and afaik after effects still raw enough in area,the fact the government was prepared to throw a century of reasonable gaurd/community relations into the fire for water charges,which were effectively dropped anyway......never made sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

That people only say "I done"/"I seen" due to peer pressure, or to make to themselves seem like the hard working "small fish" being taken advantage of by somebody higher up the rank... tax man or whoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Wow!!! Three days this thread is open and there are already 240 posts! Talk about striking a nerve.

My top five controversial opinions in no particular order:

Drink driving limits should be eased sufficiently so we can go back to the rule of thumb that "two will do"

Catherine Corless is a miserable old cow

White people should be able to sing along to rap tracks without bleeping

Tracker mortgage holders are the beneficiaries, not the victims, of a scandal

The only thing worse than middle class (bourgeois) culture is working class (proletarian) culture

I'm sure I have others but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Advertisement