Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You need to put money into it if you want it to develop I suppose.

Some women's sports have a big following. Tennis, Gymnastics, Athletics etc. If the quality is there maybe more people will watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

Women soccer players getting paid the same as the men seems fair to me. After all, they're both doing the same job (playing soccer for 90 minutes), and the same job should earn the same pay.

My controversial opinion is that no way should the women in tennis grand slams be getting the same prize money as the men. They do NOT do the same job. If they want the same money they should play best-of-five like the men, or take the lower prize money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cms88

But they're not doing the same job though are they? The US womens team lost to a boys U15 team a few years ago. They also played in some tournament with men and were hammered out the gate.

Women's Tennis has had a huge following over the years. Wouldn't put too much stock in the two sets. In fact I'd argue all women's games should be shorter or have smaller pitches.

Smaller pitches would definitely make the women's game more lively. They look a bit lost sometimes.

All womens sports imo would be better off if they stopped with the whole ''it's just as good as the mens game'' thing and just promoted it as it's own thing. But as you have said no matter what's done something else will be found wrong and need to complain about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

Of course they are. When they're playing against other women as is the normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Do you think that women players should be paid out of the profit generated from their own competitions or from the profit generated by the men's competitions?

Point taken but football is completely saturated already and I really can't see the market for it.

It seems to be easier in individual sports for women's sports to thrive. Not sure why. Maybe it's harder to see the difference in quality compared to team sports between men and women.

Stop about the railways. We don't have the population density and only a few lines make a Shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

Railways (and motorways for that matter) are not even supposed to be profitable - if they are that's a bonus. Their purpose is to be part of the infrastructure of the economy, they allow and facilitate goods transport and commuting to and from work, and those are activities that are profitable.

• Advertisement

Yeah,but lines were closed because nobody was using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭eggy81

They should work out the money based on the growing figures for the men when just apply that same ratio to the women.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TokenJogger

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Irish people dying doing some extreme or dangerous activity when on a foreign holiday deserve a Darwin award, especially if its something they wouldn't normally do at home or have never done before.

Plenty of safe things to do outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

ladies tennis is a popular sport , I don’t really think they should be paid less just because they play three sets as opposed to potentially five in a men’s game

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TokenJogger

Well my point was about soccer but you've highlighted they only do 60% of the work but expect 100% of the pay, rampant sexism

If they want the same pay they can campaign to play at the same level

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mod:-

Going a good bit Off Topic folks.

Keep the discussion on women's soccer and pay to the COYGIG thread or start a new one.

JK

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Not sure if this is controversial or not but I think most male boards contributors to this thread are misogynist p*gs who think that if females aren’t completing exactly like a man, then it ain’t worth having. Our male soccer team is not great, and that is with all the investment in LOL, UK premiership etc, our female team haven’t had half as much investment in them, changing into their kits in public toilets etc, give them a chance. So what if they don’t win the cup, they are representing our country and I for one hope they have a great tournament and enjoy it. These ladies are inspiring future players, lets not tear them down before they even start.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Jackiebt

The quality of women's soccer is well below the quality of mens, that's why no one watches it and it does not bring in as much money. So why should they earn the same? Ask most life long Manchester United fan or Liverpool fan to name one player on the women's team and most couldn't, you might get a few that can name one or two at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Plus women’s brains are smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Because they are only starting to invest in it now - the men’s leagues have been going years - you cant possibly expect them to have the same quality - though the men’s game is not great for all the investment and time they have been playing professionally.

The Womens game only started professionally in the 70’s - and it was very slow to take off around the world - what I’m saying is give it a chance - there is great excitement and delight over these ladies reaching the World Cup, which of itself is a huge achievement - if they get the same investment the men’s team gets, who knows how well they will do and yes, in this day and age, they deserve to get paid properly so they can hone their craft.

I think you'll find the ones who try to claim the womens game is the same as the mens are in fact mostly women.

The mens team are slated all the time if they have poor results etc so if the womens team are getting poor results why should they be left off the hook?

As has been said with all female sports they can't have it every way. They can't expect everyone to tell them how great they are when winning but pull the sexism card every time someone says something they don't like.

If only women would stop being so stingy and pay to go and watch them then they might have a good chance of really being professional without being utterly dependent on handouts from the men's game.

Thousands of men (and women) would fly to the other side of the world to support the Irish men's yet women will only support on twitter and the likes giving their two cents about equality.

There will be a lot of disappointed souls if they do well in fairness.

I don't know why it's so complicated: when playing for the national team the pay should be equal, and at most reasonable to cover expenses, because you're not playing for money, you're playing for your country, so it should be a matter of patriotism and national pride, not money. When playing for a club, there is no equal pay, not even between men, there's only individual contracts.

I agree that the players should be paid equally by their individual football associations.

But FIFA pays them separately for appearing in the World Cup. And for that they should be paid a percentage of the profits of the tournament. Men should get a percentage of their tournament profits and women likewise. It's fairly obvious really.

Twenty six grand I think for turning up. Around double if they get to the next round.

Quite the incentive.

To me that's a different topic. FIFA should be non-profit, there should be less money involved in kicking around an air filled ball, less corruption and more sport, as it was intended. TV rights should be free and pitch access should only cover expenses.

Posters on this thread were requested not to derail it by discussion of the Irish women's soccer team.

I see that these requests have been completely ignored.

Therefore posters who do continue to post about the Irish women's soccer team on this thread will face an immediate threadban.

You have been warned.

• Advertisement

Thread is now reopened.

Please heed the warning in the previous post.

Advertisement