Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads ye need to start advertising for mods

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks for that Witcher

I'll try and have a look at recent reports later on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Can you confirm something for me @Beasty ? If a post is reported do the mods of that forum get a notification that a post was reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I've said this several times on various feedback threads that the site needs more new mods and admins, but you get the same excuses over and over... "We can't appoint moderators because they don't have the old tools" (so it's better to leave the current handful to struggle on their own?) or this classic "We can't appoint them because we can't follow our long winded, arcane appointment procedure under vanilla"...

I mean the site just needs more moderators and diversity in moderation too, so what if a dud choice is made now and again. The work is not exactly securing the national treasury. If someone doesn't work out, demod them and move on. Feelings might get hurt, yes, but who cares.

I've said before that this place has effectively turned into a one man show with one individual as policeman, judge, jury and executioner. It's a legitimate complaint that has been going on for some time. Yes, it could have been argued that the hamfisted platform change caused this, but those in charge can't point to any tangible action they've taken to address the moderation issue. So really it's the people that are obviously the problem.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's only been happening recently. However I personally have such notifications turned off as my Inbox would be swamped. I simply look through our reported post forum, Most reports tend to be CA or Coronavirus related, and are quite easy to spot. I also keep an eye out for spammers (those reports are quite easy to spot), but also will have a look if I see something has been reported a number of times, as it may be there are no local mods around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

You obviously havnt been paying attention to the libellous posts that have been reported on the ryan turbidy thread

• Advertisement

You decide to use this thread to complain about something in a forum I do not moderate where you (and only you) made a single report 2 weeks ago?

This folks is the sort of thing I am getting criticised for!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

So boards have done what Elon plans to do with twitter ?? Free the bird or board in this case 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

I have reported numerous libellous reports on that thread in the last few months.i wasnt criticising you,i was simply stating a fact.

No, you are not getting criticised for this. You are getting criticised for leaving loads of forums unmoderated because of the refusal to remove inactive and bad mods and appoint new ones. For reasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just fyi, the PI/RI mods have said they aren't getting these notifications any more - that they did for a while, but aren't any longer - so that may need to be looked at again.

• Advertisement

Do the admins know which mods are actively modding? I know there was supposed to be a list of mods for each forum put together but that seems to have disappeared.

close the thread beasty, i didnt start it for you to be castigated for every little thing you cant get around to and that was not at all the intent

i was hoping we might get some idea that the lack of mods was something that was going to see a changed approach from the backroom side of things- but if even that function is something that has been left for you to deal with along with everything else then i may be hoping in vain.

He's not being castigated for the little things - appointing and managing the moderation team is the primary responsibility of the admins.

There is one person trying to do the impossible and do everything here because they won't bring more people on board.

And I have explained in a number oi threads, including this one, what is happening and my view of how we approach this.

Again I have mentioned this elsewhere, but until we had reports being notified it was difficult to assess who would be happy enough to pick up modding again.

It appears from one comment here that notifications are not working. So that possibly puts us back to square one, although I have still seen some pick up in activity amongst mods in recent months. Again as I have said on a number of occasions my view is we need to get some active Admins first as otherwise it might me me, Niamh and a couple of others chipping in trying to assess who amongst our hundreds of mods are modding, or intend modding as things get easier. Whether they will get much easier than what we have at present is up in the air though. We have had a number of false dawns on various mod tools ever since the move to Vanilla

And it's been explained to you how your approach isn't working.

After Hours back in the day had close to 10 moderators it has 1.5 to 2 now. Granted it's not as busy now but more need to be added to AH&CA in short order. L

Really the time for inaction has long passed, it is what, 18 months since the platform change.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Report notifications are no longer working. They worked for a while, and I had a rule set up to direct them to a specific folder. The folder has been empty for a while now.

All this is precisely why forums set-ups like this are dying a slow death and why Reddit is growing as it largely self-moderates itself.

it really doesn't. some subreddits are heavily moderated, some not so much.

the actual key point is that the upvote / downvote mechanic takes care of the vast majority of thread situations.

• Advertisement

that is nothing to do with moderation. to say that reddit moderates itself is nonsense. It has mods like any other discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I like reddit but you're quite right they have moderation, sometimes very heavy handed, I'd argue much more draconian at times than boards. Some will ban you from their sub-reddit even if you've never posted there, but have posted on subs they don't agree with.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• As somebody suggested a limited-time modding option might be a good idea, as there are some people out there who might give it a stint, but know they have probably commitments in the horizon like new study course etc. It should be open to volunteers, although we all know there are pure narcissists out there who would put themselves forward. Those with a pretty clean record, yet who post fairly frequently might be thought to qualify, after which the ones with cleanest records would be chosen in turn off the panel by Admins.

I never said that reddit doesn't have mods.

Of course the upvote / downvote mechanic has a connection to moderation - that's not an intelligent comment in that respect.

It effectively removes the need for mod intervention in most cases which reduces a huge overhead in that regard.

You can argue the pluses and minuses of the same mechanic but the results are unanimous

one site is up there with google, twitter etc in terms of visits, the other is trading blows and in fact surpassed by "rsvplive" ffs

The upvotes are nothing to do with moderation.

Sure, sure.

The blatantly obvious connection to same in terms of mod-overhead has already been explained.

you've explained nothing. it does nothing to stop people post shite either before or after the fact.

because such shite it will disappear down the list and indeed from view completely and requiring a click on the + to see same

if you really are arguing that that does not have a connection to moderation intervention overhead required then WTF?

another absolutely key point worth mentioning is that anyone can create a subreddit on reddit and if that one becomes more popular than an existing subreddit on the same subject where mods have completely lost touch with the community and / or reality then that new one become the dominant subreddit and the "out of touch" one less relevant over time

(obviously hate speech subreddits and similar have and will be shut down but that's standard)

as opposed to boards where it's a case of being stuck with and relying on whether a group of predominantly middle-aged people (and mostly men) have their finger on the pulse and know best.

shocker - in not a few cases they don't!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

You also have automod facilities on Reddit, where if a post or comment gets quickly downvoted it gets removed automatically, and you can adjust how strictly it's implemented

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement