Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Yes, how dare people criticize one of the country's most senior politicians for being hopelessly out of her depth and for pushing an important piece of legislation that even she doesn't even seem to understand or comprehend properly. Incompetent politicians should never be criticized it's just not fair on them.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Just getting the hate speech in while I still can.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This is hilarious stuff really. Minister McEntee is very capable of her job and knows the legislation quite well. Some people seem to have a weird belief that being a woman makes her clueless and incompetent.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yet again you're making things up.

Nobody claimed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

She is absolute catnip for our incel community.

By God does she rattle their jimmies.

It's hilarious to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭techdiver

Love the reaction to a critique of the minister. It's exactly like what I said in a post above about polarisation of views.

It follows the same blueprint. Disagree with what someone says and instead of providing a rebuttal, pivot to name calling and strawman arguments. It doesn't forward your position and makes you sound petty and childish.

Personally I believe there needs to be more women in positions of power, but the right women. In the same way we've been straddled with terrible male politicians from dynasties, we need and deserve better. Unfortunately the electorate have little choice coupled with an unsavvy voting history. Many treat politics in the same way as supporting a sports team. Vote for whoever is under a specific banner regardless of merit.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Actually no, the latest piece where it was said she spoke like there was an earpiece in her ear is a constant. They don’t know what they’re at, all the advisers tell them what to say and when to say it, the media work for them, only the proven liars at gript ask any real questions etc etc.

Its all bollocks and it’s all lies. Just complete and utter lies. Criticize a minister all you want, but make sure you have something to back it up instead of telling outright lies to undermine them.

Someone else said it earlier, the lies told about Helen McEntee on this forum show that she completely rattles the losers who have nothing better to do but give out.

Plenty of criticism for Helen McEntee which is valid yet for some reason people resort to lies and personal insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's honestly amazing that this is what people like yourself, who consider themself the brightest of us all, are reduced to. Essentially calling people sexless weirdos for daring to be critical of a female politician who's behind this terrible piece of legislation. No, people can't dislike her because of her actions, no, it's simply because she's a woman.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

It's a fact.

I know people struggle with that.

But again what can we do. Maybe read your sig.

🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Your subjective views are literally not factual. You can try and twist things in the way that you want, but that doesn't make them so.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Of course it is factual.

Anyone who doesn't like Elton John music is homophobic.

I know people struggle with that but it's a fact because I said so.

I haven't asked everyone in the world who dislikes his music if they are homophobic.

But it's a fact because I said so and you will have to accept it.

Nothing but objective.

You seem hurt by it.

Again, what to do? Self reflection maybe.

he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it

🤷‍♂️

Exactly. There was a claim above that a 4 year old article from before she was Minister proved she has the media in her pocket.

I do think some people do have genuine concerns about the legislation which are fair enough but a lot of the criticisms of McEntee that she is clueless and incompetent are groundless.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

McEntee, if she was competent could focus on both this bill and tackle violent crime in Dublin. She is a terrible communicator but a theory that is using an earpiece is a bit crazy.

If this bill this bill comes to pass I'd say the current affairs forum will die.

There seems to be this thinking that she is Chief Commissioner Gordon. It's beyond remedial.

The AGS "tackle" crime.

Her job is to legislate.

Should the Minister of Housing get on the digger?

Or should the Minister of Health get in there and start doing surgeries?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The Current Affairs forum won’t be going anywhere, especially not if this bill comes to pass. Threads will simply be full of people claiming that whatever anyone who disagrees with their views posts could constitute hate speech, as a means of aiming a shot across the bow in an attempt to humiliate the poster into silence.

In reality it’s pretty much like lobbing a rubber dildo at the person who disagrees with them. I was almost tempted to post this meme, but y’know, it’s catnip for the ‘free speech for me, not for thee’ types who pretend it’s referring to them so they can feign offence, while claiming other people taking offence is not their responsibility.

They’re a fun bunch 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"I can't say what I really want to because I'll be banned!" - it's probably racist/sexist/phobic...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The reality is the legislation wouldn't have a strong effect on this forum unless this forum starts calling for violence etc.

Terry Pratchet

Isn't that already the case ...?

But my point is, there are a lot of poesters out there who are complaining that they can't post things without it being mistaken for being prejudiced or phobic, with in fact they are they're actually intending to post prejudiced or phobic viewpoints.

False.

Incitement to violence is already a crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Well what is she doing out there visiting the scene with her protection team in tow? She could legislate that parents hold responsibility for the behaviour of their children - and garnish their welfare payments when they engage in anti social behaviour.

Yes her job is to legislate, but she's far all she's delivered is unwanted legislation. She's too busy ingratiating herself with NGOs and pushing her own personal hobby horses so she has a nice comfy job to step into for her upcoming post political career.

What does she stand for? Law and order?

Helen McEntee stands for Helen McEntee.

She cannot possibly care about law and order when this legislation will only create disorder and a total waste of police resources.

I guess the conundrum is how do you deal with a sustained hate campaign against a minority group even of the campaign doesn't directly call for violence. That is not covered by the current legislation. I will say it will be a head scratcher for the boards.ie administrators what posts they should delete until individual court cases actually clarify the perimeters the law.

I have seen posts that dehumanise immigrants, trans and Gay people on boards but wouldn't know if they would be classified as hate under this law.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

She's fixing problems that don't really need to be fixed.

Here's an example. Apologies, it's a different topic but an example of fixing stuff that doesn't need to be fixed.

In the Miscellaneous Provisions (2022) Bill, she's included legislation that's not needed. It's not live yet but has passed both houses last week. The section of it that I'm talking about only affects law abiding target shooters. She's after writing crazy legislation that revokes the licences of those who had a certain type of gun since September 18th 2015. If you were lucky enough to licence one before the 18th September 2015, you can keep it.

So, if you've jumped through all the hoops necessary, applied for the licence, had appropriate security arrangements, got the licence after 18th September 2015, have used the gun safely for National and International target shooting competitions for the last 8 years, your licence will be revoked. There's no need to revoke these licences as they are only used for lawful purposes by law abiding citizens. There's no record of any licenced firearm of this type being used to commit a crime here. Clearly fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

I don't want to vote for Sinn Fein or any of the other dipsh1t parties/independents but I'm voting these FFG fcukers out of office the first chance I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

In my view this is all extremely simple. Nothing to do with ideology, everything to do with money and by extension, self-preservation.

The crowd of government that have been playing musical chairs for the last decade have all but run the country into the ground.

"It's not that bad" some will say, but we're in the latent phase of consequences.

Gardai don't want to be gardai, nurses and medical staff in general are leaving, younger generations have been left in the dirt, not enough teachers, nobody can be a teacher because of accommodation,it's getting near impossible to travel the country nevermind moving home, families reversing into tenement households with multi generations stuck under one roof, homeless numbers as never before seen and growing, already woefully inadequate student accommodation being turned into migrant accommodation out of desperation, delinquency and others simply bowing out of a failing society, tds slowly but surely getting caught red handed, you could go on.

The place is as corrupt as fook. No, it's not incompetence. It'll come out in the end, the truth always rises to the top.

And this "hate" speech nonsense is simply the mafia trying to get ahead of the fallout. They know full well that they'll be held accountable as the consequences stack, they've nobody else to blame. There'll be no "stepping down" to escape.

They'll have had their analysts and best chums spelling out what's coming, and this is their haywire attempt at quelling the reaction to their actions.

If I was any of them I'd be making a move out of the country sooner rather than later because this attempt to cover their arses is only going to further enflame the animosity.

I don't think everything can be pinned down to a grand conspiracy. It is more like Irish politicians following trends in other Western countries as they have no original ideas.

Also although we definitely have problems immigrants from other Western countries are coming here as it is good place to work and live.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

And this "hate" speech nonsense is simply the mafia trying to get ahead of the fallout.

The proposed legislation has nothing to do with any of the issues you’ve listed above, nor is it intended to shield Government, politicians, political parties etc from criticism. Everyone will still be able to criticise Government without fear of persecution. There will even be a few who lament the fact that they aren’t being persecuted, but they need people to believe they are, which is why they will continue to inflame the culture wars crap, targeting minorities in an attempt to portray them as a threat the great Irish society you’re so critical of in your post.

It’s a lot to do with self-preservation alright, just not from Government, nor from the vast majority of the people of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

I just can't believe that.

Even in my post above that mentions a slew of problems, there isn't a finger being lifted to address any of it. Too much money to be made directly and indirectly at the cost of the nation, and like all greed its now out of their hands and runaway. This is them getting ahead of the coming results.

That they can essentially ignore all the above that they created, and lots more, but are able to put into motion a, at best, highly controversial legislation out of..altruism? A sign of devotion to their job? A demonstration that they give a fook?

While beefing up personal security?

No, I don't think so. It's just highly improbable given the state of affairs.

Looking at the trend of this country with any balance, we're going to be in shite shape within a year or two. How about 5, or 10?

Nobody's going to forget who helmed this disaster. They know it, too.

She could legislate that parents hold responsibility for the behaviour of their children - and garnish their welfare payments when they engage in anti social behaviour.

Yes because making people poorer will lead to less crime.

It's worked everywhere else.

• Advertisement

... not to mention only punishing parents who are on welfare...

Advertisement