Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• I have a disability, so if I’m purposefully targeted as a victim of a crime on account of my added vulnerability status might my would-be verbal/physical assaulter have an extra layering to their act of criminality on this account? Or would my feelings need to be hurt because I’ve been taken added advantage of on account of my inability to make an avoidance?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

For years people questioned why we have to worry about security for politicians, reviewing Leinster House security procedures, sure we’re not America etc etc etc.

Gallows outside Leinster House. I dare anyone here try to defend these scumbags.

I see Gr*pt media are staying very quiet as well. Enabling c*nts and dangerous bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Politicians are happy to sell us down the road so **** them, make them uncomfortable. Might actually start acting in the best interests of the citizens here if we do

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have they actually breached security or just blocking the exit from the street? Two very different things.

It's very very Irish to attack people who stand up for themselves - it was the same thing during the Irish Water protests. Back then they were spongers, wasters etc.

This Government have sat by while virtually everything they've responsibility for has gotten worse. Trying to paper over it with stories of how we're supposedly swimming in money doesn't cover it when people are struggling to pay their bills or can't buy a home or find somewhere to rent, or see themselves pushed down the list in favour of new arrivals, or are told that they have to watch their language in case someone gets offended etc etc.

So long as they have broken no laws everyone has the right to protest. Those who go too far (as 2 today did) should be rightly prosecuted, but you can only push people so far (even the Irish) before things like this are the result.

I have no problem with people who protest and cause disruption.

I do have a problem with sinister acts like bringing a gallows and clearly harassing elected officials like what happened today.

Do you think stopping an elected representative from going into our national parliament and doing the job they were elected for while having abuse hurled at them is acceptable?

Thats what happened to Donnchadh O’Leary today.

Do you think it’s acceptable that Michael Healy Rae was subjected to vile verbal abuse and in some instances physical abuse?

And I’ll mention it again. Gallows were brought to this protest. If you don’t think there is a level of violent aggression that is creeping in amongst these fringe elements and there is nothing to see here, then you are blind and deluded. This has been building and building and it will only get worse as long as people enable it.

If you think the above is acceptable then I don’t know what on Earth I can do or say to change your mind. Disgraceful behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

From what I read, AGS were on scene and rightly and quickly dealt with anyone that crossed the line.

Any violence should equally be dealt with under the law. It solves nothing and only dilutes any point being made.

A gallows I will grant you is an extreme prop (likely done as much to draw attention to the protest as anything else), but I would be interested in hearing how you think people should voice their frustrations and anger - in emails that go ignored or replied to with a copy/paste meaningless answer? Even voting (every 5 years) doesn't carry much weight anymore in an era of confidence and supply or outright coalition of the 2 biggest parties - unless you believe SF have the answers which they blatantly don't!

The underlying issue here is that the Government are no longer delivering for the people. That's clearly obvious in the areas I referred to above. Then (to bring this on topic) we have McEntee using the Justice ministry as her personal crusading platform to push legislation no one (outside of specific lobby groups) asked for, and which everyone else has serious concerns about - rather than dealing with the violent crimes happening not too far away from today's protests almost every other day it seems.

As I said, when you marginalise and ignore the people you're supposed to be working for long enough, this is the result.

Donnchadh O Laoire and Michael Healy Rae aren’t in government. They are elected by their communities and shouldn’t be stopped from doing their jobs. Yet they were prevented from doing so and harassed by this vile mob.

Civil servants and journalists were harassed as well. It’s disgusting behaviour.

And a gallows is an incitement. Especially when photos of politicians are placed on it. It’s a very clear threat and it should not be downplayed or excused.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Oh I see someone doesn't like Gript, cry more why don't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

You speak as though not favouring Gript's analysis is a minority, extreme opinion. It isn't. Half of their regular readers were probably at the protest today. The other half were on this thread ranting the usual b.s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Someone like MHR is everything that's wrong with politicians in this country. Yes, they shouldn't be going across the line to physically confronting him but there's no issue with him being made uncomfortable imo.

When the politicians are more focused on how to better themselves and not the citizens of this country, they shouldn't be surprised there is a push back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Wow. Justifying violent murderous threats against politicians.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Physically confront? He was more than physically confronted. He was screamed at and abused as well as physically threatened.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I mean people have been pointing out that this was going to happen for years.

When your country is going down the toilet and your government is doing nothing about it, then some people can only take so much.

I would be confident the majority of them are middle class people watching their country get worse by the day.

I certainly wouldn't attend or agree with it but I can see why people attended.

It has happened all over Europe and we are no different, if things stay the same a far right party will be in goverment or do very well in the next few years.

Alternatively and hopefully the governent just implement a few sensible policies that will appease people instead of people turning to far right politicians because they feel they have no other option.

But I expect them to continue as they are while oblivious to the fact they are the reason a far right party will grow in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

'I would be confident the majority of them are middle class people watching their country get worse by the day.'

I wouldn't be confident if I were you. Middle class people protest everyday, they don't resort to thuggery, violence and threatening behaviours. Only scumbags do that.

the rise of the far right is clearly obvious now, for those who insist 'it doesn't exist in Ireland ' 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

Some troublemakers at a protest behaving extremely badly is "the rise of the far right"?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They won't get the votes - possibly as a minority party, but with who as the majority? None of the main three parties would touch them after yestrday.

It is kind of ironic though that the people who are most agsint the criminal justice bill have just convinced the powers the be that it's even more nessecary now.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

As seen in Sweeden, Italy and France a far right party can do well.

We are years behind those countries in regards multiculturalism.

Now those clowns currently looking for votes haven't a hope.

A right leaning party with common sense policies would do very well if one emerges which I am sure it will sooner or later like in other countries.

In regards the bill, what happened yesterday that is not currently covered under existing legislation?

Just because it's happened in other countries doesn't mean it will happen here. Italy and France are far more prone to extremism and Sweden is hardly centrist.

A right leaning party with common sense policies

There in lies your problem: none of them have common sense policies - they have ppolulist reactive policies (at lesat the alt/far right leaning parites do).

I don't know how to multiquote on vanilla.

Polls on immigration have shown the vast vast majority of people are fed up with how the country is being run, immigration being the main one.

Certainly in my circle of friends and family they are vocal about this where a year ago rarely anyone brought up the topic.

Can you explain your reasoning on why you don't think it will happen here?

In regards your second part I'm not sure what you mean by my problem, I clearly stated the current one don't have sensible policies.

You missed the part about my question on what happened yesterday that is not covered under current legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Sweden is hardly centrist.

This is some re-writing of history. It was a bastion of progressivism not so long ago, a nation we should all look up to and model ourselves on. That's changed of course, because of the nonsensical policies people like yourself believe in.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

Sweden have turned because of the immigration problem.

It won't take many incidents to light a powder keg

Sorry, I.meant 'the' problem generally, not 'your' problem specifically. People will talk, but they won't vote. In any case, there isn't really a far/alt right party with enough clout to challenge. Who would you see getting in?

Sweden has had to deal with a lot more gang-related violence amongst immigrants than we have. We're just annoyed that they're getting priority with housing.

But Sweden is traditionally more left than right - all the Scandinavian countries are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sweden hardly centrist? Ah now, Sweden was the effective birthplace of the social democracy and the "Swedish model" was the aspiration for left leaning politicians in Ireland up until about 8-10 years ago.

You don't hear much about the "Swedish model" these days funnily enough.

Another example of lies, assumptions and personal attacks to.mask an inability to debate - unless you can show where I'm listed ANY policies I apparently 'believe in', nonsensical or otherwise - which is unlikely, because I've never posted any on this forum!!

But hey, as a skilled debater and well.researched citizen, you know more about what I believe in more than I do, don't ya?!

Of course you do :)

See two posts above - in terms of recent history. they'd be more left than centrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭batman_oh

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Also a "moral superpower." How's that going now?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No, an abusive threatening mob, organised by far right agitators is the obvious rise of the far right.

Who do you think the organisers were?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Grand according to a few reality dodgers. It's all right wing propoganda, Sweden are doing great, everybody is happy and they are sad that nazis are lying about what has really happened.

Advertisement