Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up entire OS and files

Options
  • 26-10-2022 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone has a suggestion for a backup application for Windows 10. From what I've been reading the backup solution that comes with Windows 10 only allows you do manual backups.

I use my computer for business now so I'd like an automatic backup and a complete recovery ready to go should something happen. Any reconditions please? Free/paid, no bother.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you want to be able to make a complete recovery, the buy yourself a second machine with the exact same components and I mean exactly the same not just nearly the same and make disk images not back ups. And even with that it is not guaranteed to work.

A more realistic approach is to make sure you have carefully store away all the disks, urls and access codes need to restore you applications and then use one of the online back services to back everything business related. so it is off site.

I used both Backblaze and Crashplan in the past and they worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I use Acronis True Image, allows for backing up of specified drives, files and a full backup of your system to allow for reinstallation. You can schedule backups or just do them manually.

Never had to do the full restore but I have usefully used the file backup a few times to recover an older version of a file that I've accidentally changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I use Macrium Reflect. The free version has lots of great features, which I use on my personal laptop.

The paid version gives scheduling and encryption of backups, so I have that for my work laptop.

I have recovered a couple of times with it, so I am very happy with it.

Advertisement