Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit cards constantly declining in Square Up machine

Options
  • 26-10-2022 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm just wondering has there been a change in security levels lately involving the use of debit cards over the phone - my card paying customers 90% of the time pay over the phone (I use a Square Up terminal), transactions often in the €1000s, and I have lately noticed a sharp increase in the number of these transactions declining. Once the customer ends our call, they see that they have a text from the bank querying the transaction and asking for a response. They reply yes, and are then presented with a message telling them to check their account to see whether the money has gone. I know from experience it hasn't gone and we need to re-do the transaction, but they are understandably nervous to give me their details again straight away before they have checked, so they say they will ring the following day. It is hard enough to get debtors to pay, and now I'm repeatedly faced with a situation where a) the customer is worried I'm trying to screw them and b) they don't make the payment. Please help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi there,

Thanks for checking in with us.

Our Card Security Team monitoring customers' accounts may ask if a transaction is genuine. The customer will just need to reply with 'Yes' if they recognise. We can assure you, we do not flag specific transactions related to using a Square Up machine.

Many thanks

Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dannyzuko

Hi,

Thanks for replying, apologies, I didn't see the reply until now. The problem is, the customer does not just need to reply yes - they need to reply yes, and then we need to re-do the transaction. This is inconvenient, but it also worries people that the transaction is going through twice, especially when the message they receive back from their 'yes' reply advises them to check their bank, and gives the impression transaction has gone through. Oftentimes, they don't want to put it through again until they have checked, which means waiting and more hassle.

Good to know that it's not to do with using Square rather than a bank machine, but I'm starting to wonder if it's just me - most of the time when this happens, the customer has not come across this situation before, so it's not happening to everybody all the time, just me! So I am trying to work out the pattern to help reduce the occurrences in the future. I would be interested to know if you think any of the following would increase the likelihood of a declined transaction:

Large amount

Over the phone payment

Customer having already made over the phone payments to other companies that day

Poor internet connection of my card machine

Any advice is very welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi there, thanks for coming back to us here on Boards.ie.

The transaction outlined in the text from our card security would not be successful as the transaction would have been restricted by the team. replying 'yes' to the text will not complete the transaction and so the customer would need to make the transaction again themselves.

We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us here and we'll be sure to pass it along to the team.

For the best advice on this I would recommend that you call our card security team directly on freephone 1800946764 and my colleagues can certainly discuss this with you further.

Thanks, Eve

Advertisement