Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Face - Peacock - (***Spoilers***) Rian Johnson.

• 26-10-2022 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭

Created by Rain Johnson with an all star cast including Natasha Lyonne, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Barkin, Adrien Brody, Chloe Sevigny, Nick Nolte and Ron Pearlman.

Arrives January 26th Poker Face is a 10-episode “mystery-of-the-week” series following Natasha Lyonne’s Charlie, who has an extraordinary ability to determine when someone is lying. She hits the road with her Plymouth Barracuda and with every stop encounters a new cast of characters and strange crimes she can’t help but solve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do we know how much involvement Rian Johnson has? It's a great cast, and the premise sounds very boilerplate for a Network so curious what, if anything, will mark it out. Beyond the aforementioned excellent cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Russian Doll helped me to like Natasha so will check this out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As far as I know - going by the reports, set photos and IMBD listings - he wrote & directed at least the pilot, but I don't think we have full credits for the other episodes yet. He is show creator, executive producer etc... on top of that: it seems to be a show he created specifically with Lyonne in mind.

Going by imdb, Rian Johnson seems to be writing and directing all episodes. Sounds like a lot so not sure if that's the case.

• Advertisement

The first four episodes are out

I liked it.

I've seen comparisons to Columbo, but I guess it's crossed with The Incredible Hulk, without the Hulk part and the ending theme song.

Mild spoilers from Episodes 1 and 3

Of all the fictional detectives to mention, Michael Westen from Burn Notice wouldn't be top of my list.

And technically she got the guy in the third episode killed by making him decide to become vegan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Oh that was a solid setup! Didn't go the direction I thought it would and I'm wondering how it's going to continue.

I thought she'd have gotten the cops/fbi involved or gotten the caine guy directly involved instead of spooking him.

Looked up who played the father

since I wasn't 100% sure off the voice at the phone call at the end. Ron Perlman.

2: I thought that one started and setup really well... but jeez at an hour long.. I dunno.. It started to feel like it was dragging on a bit.

Guessing

Marge might be back in the future to help her out at some point.

3: Some funnier bits in this one but again the lenght felt like it dragged a bit. I did have a lol at the

"Gah, **** you dog!" during the recreation 😀

Wider story.. not sure.. maybe..

something like she's building up a bunch of people who will be part of "The Gang (TM)" to help her our in the end

• Advertisement

Alright.. that's the 4 episodes. Pretty decent opening but then a bit sluggish for the rest. Definitely has moments.

There's somebody working scenery shots and someone working sound for them as well .. they've been doing some good work in places.

4: That was alright. Didn't jump out with any big moments but didn't lead into a dragged out feeling.

I did like the performance of the young drummer. He was really funny.

Until they killed him off. The writer of this episode did well in that I think.. building a kind of bond/sympathy for him.

Ha, she did too! 🙂 Hadn't a clue who the guy referred to was.

I like how she's got the glue with her at all times now and helped with 2 injuries using it. Could be a wee running thing throughout.

That would be a kinda decent route. Kinda a memory/nod to the character

5: That one didn't drag much. They moved it along with .. humour I think?

One thing left unexplained but guessable I think was ..

Irene being able to climb the outside wall.. but later when she was going after Charlie.. she again showed arm strength.. so I think a flashback/montage of some upper body work would have fitted.

The FBI guy .. giving Charlie the card.. saying to call him.. yeah I think in a lot of these episodes she's building up a reunion of characters down the road.

Was kinda cool to see Mrs Dyson from Terminator 2 in this episode! 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭steve_r

Is this coming to Paramount?

6: Ok! .. That! was a really good one! The opening setup was great! I hadn't a clue what way it was going.

The two theathre leads were really good.

This episode had a whole new writer/director pairing of Chris Downey/Ben Sinclair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_Stage_Death

I.. eh.. ok.

I mean .. it ain't terrible tv.

I just can't see the gimmick lasting long for audiences if they don't figure something more to deliver.

Maybe the episodes are cheap to make.

7: Huh. That setup side was well done. It dragged a bit towards the end but then the end was something..

I eh.. so he's got away with it then? for now?

Hmmm.

The Breeders - Drivin' On 9 (Music Video)

My understanding was that she told the girl about it while also ruining his career by giving him the shakes or whatever it's called.

• Advertisement

Felt wierd just ending like that. Could renew interest in the show if they take different approaches like that.

I've noticed 2 or 3 of the episodes ending in a similar way. Her solving it, revealing the truth to everyone and leaving before we see the full consequences. Sometimes the cops are involved.

Like the one about the band, didn't that just end with the true crime podcast on the news?

It's like.. I got a feeling from the other episodes like they resolved better than that one. That one left me feeling it was unanswered or had left work to do.

The credits on this one were strange

Tim Russ played Max and only got listed in the credits as a guest star at the end while Rowan Blanchard played Lily who we only got a glimpse of, had one quick line and she was listed in the opening credits.

Haven't seen Nick Nolte in years so good to see him in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It is a weird show this I got to say. It does not have any main cast for say except for her and sometimes an episode can be nearly half way through before she even appears.

It is very good the way it shows the different views of the event that happened do. I am currently on episode 7 the one with the race.

If the people who wrote and directed this had of done Star Trek Discovery it might have been a hit. They could have had events happen then we could have seen it from Micheals point of view.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I thought it was excellent. Really enjoyed it. Liked the way she did not pop up till a nice bit into the episodes. Thought most of the guest stars worked very well to. Particularly enjoyed Nick Nolte and Joseph Gordon-Levitt's characters !!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

is there anything in any episode that isn't a clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Just finished this on Sky Max thanks to a recommendation on the premiere dates thread (thanks @JP Liz V1 for keeping us up to date). I really enjoyed it, loved the concept of a different cast in each episode.

It's not something I would ever have chosen to watch just seeing it on the listing, and it's a channel I never even check, but so glad I did. Great entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I also checked this out after the good reviews and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like the way it plays with the general narrative in a fresh way.

Advertisement