Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a garden centre

Options
  • 26-10-2022 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello all , new to this , but thinking of setting up a garden centre in the new year , and am just looking for advice or suggestions as to reputable independent plant suppliers in Ireland

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm around this forum a good bit and I am not sure that we have anyone who regularly deals with commercial suppliers. I could be wrong, someone may be able to help. Good luck with the project anyway!

Just from observation it seems that a cafe is as least as important as plants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Hey George.

Rente plants in kildare are a good starting point they have a large selection of plants.

Woodstock nurseries also kildare

Tully s in North Dublin.

Kelly's nurseries Westmeath.

They would probably be the first places to try.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

The very best luck to you!

It’s something I’ve long dreamed about doing but never had the courage to do so!

There’s a huge gap in the market for organic, homegrown plants free from imported diseases from the continent. It’s definitely a niche market!

Wishing you all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

Not sure where you are located, but I visited here https://barrysgardencentre.ie/ (east cork) some years ago and they were growing / supplying wholesale as far as I know. Not the easiest place to find but great plants and lots of trees/hedging grown there. Might be worth giving them a call. Good luck with your new business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Tullys is retail so I wouldn't be buying here, most larger irish nurseries I'd say are buying in most of their stock. Some will produce their own but this is getting into a different kind of set up. Most smaller nurseries, like in uk,will find a niche, something like alpines or herbaceous or large specimens only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Advertisement