Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most basic freesat box for OAP

• 26-10-2022 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an elderly relation who has saorview on her LG tvs and we want to put in a freesat box. Her lg has a satellite input but the switchover is too clunky for her to get. I'm looking for the most simple box possible. the most popular freesat channels in an order she wont get lost. Less is more. Any reply is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

Its a shame to not make full use of the tv, a lot of people have had the same problem. look at this link and the idea is you can store 2 channels in the home button one saorview and one freesat, so when you choose the saorview one you are in saor etc.

if not clear get model number of tv and post back

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/99979704#Comment_99979704

Post edited by swoofer on

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭elgicko

Get a combo box, this will allow you to store saorview and satellite stations, without the need to switch input from antenna to satellite on the tv.

The device has 2 Inputs, antenna and satellite

Thia will allow easy navigation of channels with one remote

https://www.satworld.ie/?subcats=Y&pcode_from_q=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&search_id=&q=Combo&dispatch=products.search&security_hash=106bda08bbc736cf6b5225bd0380ca19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

Pressing the home button is a lot cheaper and easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

If you could use the quick access/ home buttons it can be very handy, 1 for SaorView 2 for Freesat or whatever. The beauty of Freesat is the epg and the auto updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

Thank you for this. I am going to look into first. Worth a try. Does the epg require Internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The EPG doesn't require an internet connection but you will probably need to set up the TV as UK in order to enable the Freesat features. Otherwise you may just get a basic tuner with no organisation and now/next EPG only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Also, the Saorview channels appear in the 800s when you set the TV's broadcast country to UK, but because Saorview so rarely changes, once you reorder them 1-xxx, you won't need to do anything a for a good while

A UK postcode is needed to determine which version of BBC One and Two you want. I use a London postcode, others prefer to use a NI postcode and that will give you BBC One NI, BBC Two NI and UTV on 101-103

Worth noting that the Quick Access option which I absolutely love is only available on LG TV models since 2017

I too use RTE One as a long press 1 for Saorview channels and BBC Two HD as a long press 2 for Freesat channels, 3 for Now, 4 for RTE Player etc.

A long press 0 is how to get the Quick Access feature

https://www.lg.com/in/support/product-help/CT20150005-20150384421089

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭mikeecho

For about £60 you can get a Manhattan SX freesat box.

Auto updating program guide.

Auto retuning for new/removed/ changed position of channels.

It's set and forget.

Amazon or Argos up north are your best bet.

I've gotten 3 of those box's for elderly relatives.

They have been bullet proof so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

finally got around to this today. She is over the moon with the quick access. 1 is saorview,2 is freesat and 3 is cctv. Thank you all so much

• Advertisement
Advertisement