Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harty Cup

Options
  • 26-10-2022 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone explain why (in particular) local journalists have become so obsessed with this Schools competition the last few years?

For me it’s actually beyond the point of being creepy now. They are school students. Let them enjoy their Hurling and F off with the daily articles on it now. Adding needless pressure to it imo by giving it an unnecessary amount of coverage in media

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Can you explain what is 'creepy' about it.............?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

They’re schoolchildren

Let them enjoy their schools’ hurling stress-free and not have journalists coming to their matches

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

People want to know how games go. The coverage is far from OTT. It is the premier schools hurling competition in the country with the Leinster Senior A competition. I dont think the coverage increases the stress for players. Like its far from the coverage schools rugby gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

That the Harty Cup has gone from strength to strength is great. It was always big. There's no comparison really with the Leinster schools hurling competition. Harty is the be all and end all. But the coverage it receives is light years behind Leinster or even Minster schools rugby. The mure coverage the better. They arent kids.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

They are kids.

It has a direct comparison with leinster schools hurling with the senior A competition there.

• Advertisement

Look - It just doesn’t sit right with me that these lads are kitting out of their school uniforms for a match and yet there’s journalists there to write articles on the performances etc

There’s no freedom/hiding anymore for even schoolchildren now

So should all clubs stop reporting on their age grade teams. all local newspapers stop covering all manners of age grade games? same with inter county minor as well?

No, I’m saying schools in general

You don’t see any coverage really of club below minor (at a top level) anywhere bar results maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

In Kilkenny there are full match reports on championship matches from u13 up in the local sections of the Kilkenny people. People are interested in it.

Fair enough my man - Was just giving my own thoughts on it and was asking for others' thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Theres a growing interest in Schools Competitions particulary Harty Cup Hurling in Munster. What about Leinster schools Rugby , big coverage in national papers for years? .

Theres a lot of Interest in the other grades of Munster Schools Hurling as well, the Barty (B), the Carty (C), the Darty (D) & the Earty (E) grades!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

There's a lot of people who played schools hurling and still have a gra for it - nothing wrong with going to those games and reading about them and supporting those involved. Wonderful competitions and plenty of good hurling on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Generally, the reporting on schoolkids is all pretty positive, journalists don't exactly slate players.

I used to love as a kid if our team, or even my own name, got a mention in the local paper !

Yes - local paper. That’s kinda where Im coming from on this

It’s when articles/clips are being shared is when it gets weird for me on a Provincial/National Level. Those idiot managers getting into a clash at a recent match in my eyes stems a lot from the added pressure and non-casual state that Harty Cup (and the likes) is in. I think it should be there to keep lads in the game/system and things like what happened there shouldn’t ever happen in a schools event

Look - it’s just a personal thing - clearly the majority here don’t mind it

Advertisement