Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher absent

• 27-10-2022 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Hi

the question has come up before but reading through many threads there is no clear answer.

in the local school two teachers in fifth year subjects have been out more than four weeks year to date. One teacher is known for this annually and is generally labelled as someone with poor health.

is there a protocol for what should happen in these cases. One is sporadically entering stuff on teams but very little. The other nothing and there is no communication what’s happening?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

If a teacher is on sick leave they are not expected to upload work. Short term absesnses are mainly covered by other teachers in the schoool supervising the class and most forseen short term absenses would see teachers assigning work to be completed in their absense. A substitute should be in place for long term absence but with the current recruitment crises in teaching qualified substitute teachers are scarce, particularly in certain subject areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭riddles

What would considered a short term absence? Is there any communication protocol from the Principal to explain what’s happening and what they plan is?

I’m sure if teachers themselves showed up to use another service and sat there and the person didn’t show up they’d have some questions what’s happening

I checked in each subject just there are no fixed term posts in either advertised either perm or temporary.

One of the subjects has 14 posts advertised for subs.

One teacher told me teachers holding permanent posts but working abroad contributes to the issue. I don’t know the scale of this.

In general the number of free classes in both kids schools seems to be pretty significant.

When I said forseen short term absense I mean a day or two for school activities such as matches, class trips etc. Could also refer to CPD (Training) days for teachers, that type of thing.

Illness, whether short or long term does not require a teacher to leave work.

Contact the school with your concerns. I expect, as in any workplace, the health status of individuals will not be disclosed or discussed. However, if you point out that your child has had x free classes in y subject and ask if it will be an ongoing issue the principal may be able to shed some light on the situation for you. All depends on the circumstances really. I'm currently on Maternity leave and some of my classes have not had a teacher since I began leave 4 weeks ago as a substitute teacher has not been found.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

Well it wouldn’t be at fixed term for illness - fixed term would be for something like career break.

Very unfortunate situation but very hard to deal with if no subs available

if a teacher is sick they definitely should not be expected to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

If you look on the Brighter Minds website, they have loads of videos for every year group (for free) - the whole course will be there by the end of the year. It's not a proper replacement for a teacher, but it will cover everything. Email them if you have any queries. The teacher answers any questions.

Advertisement