Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoardsFM

Options
  • 27-10-2022 9:46am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So an idea from Rudolph idea has now sprung into it's own thread idea.

Us lucky people here in the Christmas Forum have acquired a (fictional) radio station. And we need some volunteers to host their top 10 Christmas songs. (Not a real gig or radio show just 10+ posts 😂)

What makes this different to a normal top 10 Christmas songs is on each post you must introduce the song, why you picked it, why it's in your top 10 and any Christmas memories associated to that song.

You may also pick a station opening and closing song and a hidden gem (a Christmas song that doesn't get enough love each year)

So who wants to host their top 10, sign up here, all are welcome. Understandable this will take a bit of time to pull together so there's no rush to post your top 10 after you sign up. Once you're ready just let us know!

1. TRS30
    2. Mystery Egg
    3. Caranica
    4. Cup
    5. Autosport
    6. DVB
    7. freshpopcorn
    Post edited by Loughc on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Count me in. As you said might be a while before I have all the info however I'm game.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yeah there’s no rush. I’m finding it hard to narrow to ten and then to put them in order. Yikes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'd love to do this. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'll have a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ Cup

I’d love to have a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Go on I’ll join in you’ve twisted my arm 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Great idea, looking forward to the stories associated with each.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'm up for this, getting the time to put together means it could take some time though...

First things first, my top 10.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Ok, I think I have my list...I have 10 plus a start and a finish song anyway. I've probably forgotten something major but I'm sure someone else will pick them up anyway.

Let me know when and where you want them posted and if you want links

When ever you want you’re free to start. Sure you can absolutely link the song. Especially if it’s one we might not have heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Do the songs have to Christmas songs or songs that you may associate with Christmas, were in the charts at Christmas?

its your top 10 my friend. You can have whatever you want in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Just after seeing this thread as I don't often go outside of Christmas FM on the Christmas forum.

Great idea Loughc.

If I had the time to devote to it I would submit my Top 10 etc., but I suspect I won't - especially all the intros etc.. At the very least, I look forward to reading this thread.

Loughc: This might be interesting to do as an exercise in the other forum referred to below in my signature. Just a thought!

Ah cool Loughc- great idea would love to if that's OK- tell us when this whole thing is kicking off- like you, need a bit of time to think it out but order me my date and I shall deliver sir/madame

You can kick off whenever suits. I’ve my order done so I’ll kick it all off tomorrow!

So - for the stupid amongst us (i.e. me)- can you clarify a few things:

And we need some volunteers to host their top 10 Christmas songs. (Not a real gig or radio show just 10+ posts 😂)

So do we post our top 10 all at once or wha- like maybe i go first, someone else goes second, 3rd etc then back to me for my 2nd pick or is that waaaay over complicating things?

What makes this different to a normal top 10 Christmas songs is on each post you must introduce the song, why you picked it, why it's in your top 10 and any Christmas memories associated to that song. 

Cool- got that

You may also pick a station opening and closing song and a hidden gem (a Christmas song that doesn't get enough love each year)

Don't understand this- I'm thick- sorry - please explain :D

So who wants to host their top 10, sign up here, all are welcome. Understandable this will take a bit of time to pull together so there's no rush to post your top 10 after you sign up. Once you're ready just let us know!

Me ME ME :D

Or maybe just start it and we'll figure it out as we go?

• Advertisement

I think it’ll be easier to do a top 10 person by person. To avoid confusion.

The order should be;

1. Opening Song
    2. Top 10 songs 10-6
    3. Hidden Gem song
    4. Top 10 songs 5-1
    5. closing song

hope that helps

It does- except for "opening song" "closing song" - don't get that- what's that about? (sorry did i say I'm thick?)

you get to pick what song you’d like to start your slot on boardsfm. And what song to sign off on and close off your time on boardsfm.

I totally forgot about this. Hopefully I'll get mine up at the weekend

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's the same as Christmas FM. They open with a song (first song they play) and close with a song (last song they play before transmission ends) 🙂

Goooooood Moooooorrrrrinnnnngggggg

It is time! Welcome to the first every broadcast on BoardsFM I'll be your host for the next while, Lough-Christmas,

And kicking off my broadcast today is the Iconic....

"It's Beginning to look alot like Christmas" but I'm going to go for the Michael Bublé version.

This one is definitely in honor of ChristmasFM's traditional start song. It's got it all the music introduction at the start, and Bublé adds a great velvety tone to lyrics.

The song is quickly becoming a signal that the season has started for me.

Next up it's the start of my Top 10....

Coming in at number 10, is a song that I can't imagine anyone else will have on their list but I have a reason.

It was the song that played as the last song Online by a DJ on ChristmasFM on NYE/NYD morning 1am, I vividly remember it as I was brushing my teeth getting ready for bed with ChristmasFM playing on my phone. I was getting ready for a 3 hour sleep, at that stage myself and my OH were taking turns sleeping for 3 hours as we had a 4 week old baby at the time and night time was a minefield haha.

The song was "All I want for Christmas is You" (but not the Mariah Carey version) it was a country music Christmas song and the version i heard was covered by Kelly Clarkson

It really is a beautiful song, and I never heard it before it really captured my attention. I immediately downloaded it and added it to my Christmas playlist and everytime I hear it, it brings me back to that moment, and despite the serious sleep deprivation it brings back wonderful memories of the newborn stage.

Number 9

Is a classic.... it's

"Sleigh Ride" by The Ronnetts

This is one I find myself singing the opening section throughout the year. I sing it so often now that when my little elf hears me singing it he smiles and laughs. It's so upbeast and festive what more can you say....

Just hear those sleigh bells jingle-ing, rin-ting tingling too (Ring-a-ling-a, ding-dong,ding!)

• Advertisement

Number 8

It's a love or hate song but for me I LOVE IT.

"Once Upon A Christmas Song" by Peter Kay

For me this song has an irritatingly good hook and the lyrics are so very cleverly written. One you can sing along to each and every year and never tire of.

Advertisement