Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need to replace my gas boiler?

• 27-10-2022 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

I live in a small apartment and my gas boiler is I'd say about 17 years old at this stage. I primarily use it for heating water and the radiators are barely on at all during the year because my place is pretty warm and well insulated.

I've been getting the boiler serviced every year, but the past few times the guy has suggested replacing it due to its age. He didn't mention any particular problems, but said I should be able to get a much more efficient unit. The only problem I encounter myself is regular pressure drops which needs to be topped up manually every 2-4 weeks maybe, if I remember to check.

Does it actually make sense to replace my boiler just because it's old, or is he just trying to get me to spend some cash? My current gas bill (before the recent price increases) is a max of €100 every two months, and lower in the warmer months where I'm just heating water. Sounds like even if it's a 10-15% saving on my bills it'd take a long time to recoup the outlay of €2k+! Is there any other reason I should do it beyond saving a couple of euro on my bills?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I used to get the same advice, and ignored it because of replacement costs... until one dark and miserable December day, a few days out from Christmas, when a service engineer condemned the boiler and shut off the gas. In the immortal words of Dana, from her hit single of 1975, it was a cold cold Christmas, that year, until I could arrange a new install. Then despite buying a brand new high tech high spec combi, I could not claim any of the energy grants available at the time, because it had to be a planned process with advanced applications and pre and post install checks.

At 17 years old, it is not just the economic operation that is the question, the chance of it giving up completely is getting higher. In my experience, the replacement cost is always going to be an issue, but you can at least try to plan the expenditure and replace it at a convenient time. The fact that the pressure is dropping so regularly, indicates that you already have a problem, either with the boiler itself, or elsewhere on the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The fitter who's servicing your boiler is being honest, the difference between a 17 + year old boiler and a new one is well worth the payout.You may consider getting controls upgraded along with stats on valves.

It lasted 17 years because you're diligent enough to get it serviced annually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Kalimah

My gas boiler has been going since 1993 - serviced annually too. I'm changing it next year as a new one will definitely be more efficient. We'll definitely get thermostatic valves also. I think if your boiler is giving a bit of trouble then change it while you can plan for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

We replaced our 16 year old boiler a few weeks ago. It wasnt firing up, cost of replacement parts fitted was approx €800 with a 6 week delivery time for one part. Cant remember the make, it was an italian sounding name that seemed to be common around the time. A new boiler thats supposed to be more efficient was installed within 5 days and cost €2739 through Bord Gas, they offer a monthly payment option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Good to get some different perspectives on it.

Considering I know nothing about boilers, is it possible to replace a regular one with a combi one? At the moment my boiler heats the water and radiators separately but I hear combi boilers are much more efficient. Are there any limitations to it?

Just thinking if I am going to replace my boiler I should try and go for the best option out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement