Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build Your Own Home

Options
  • 27-10-2022 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone catch the new show on RTE last night? Wasn't sure what to expect but quite enjoyed it. Refreshing to see some realism about budgets, spending, struggles etc throughout the program rather than just a one liner at the end telling us about a half million overspend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

The show was a disgrace and had many breaches of the S.I. No. 291/2013 - Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013. It was just luck that no one was killed or maimed etc.

Everyone involved with the show should be prosecuted and fined by the HSA.

Children should never be allowed to go in to a building site under any circumstances. And 5 year old children should never be allowed to have dangerous wire cutters capable of amputation fingers.

Note to Harrison- Construction Sites are not Children's Playgrounds.

Grace and Robbie should not have been allowed drive an excavator unless they were Certified to drive the excavator.

Robbie was seen trying to drive the excavator out through the back door - with no safety frame on the machine.

Master Builder and Building Teacher and Craftsman Harrison Gardner then decide that the viewers needed to see Harrison driving the excavator with no safety frame. Safety Frames are only for sissies.

It appears that Harrison wants people to learn nothing from the T V show so they will need to book classes at his workshop. Also looks like Harrison is hoping for an Oscar.

“Build your own Home”. - they had Masons, electricians, plumbers, plasterers etc, and Harrison did the Carpentry.

Harrison built a formwork for a worktop and did not explain anything about making it. It was exciting to see Grace master the Poker Vibrator on the concrete. At least the viewers learned about big good Vibrations.

Viewers were not shown how to build or do anything constructive

Girls night out was brilliant with all the fashion and cocktails, and probably ate in to the Budget- Grace probably couldn’t afford the other part of the shoulder of her red dress.

Lovely to see the female friends helping out on the Construction Site near the concrete blocks and masons on scaffolding - not in compliance with the HSA Acts, and the ladies with wonderful hair styles and no Safety Helmets and lovely designer 👠 and no boring Safety boots, no hiVis vests, no safety glasses etc. Next show may include the Grandparents and In-laws and a few little toddlers crawling around the Building Site and playing with the half-ton mechanical excavator toy thinges.

I cannot understand why the Health and Safety Authority, with all the substantial evidence of breaches of the HSA Acts would not prosecute RTE and Master Builder and Building Teacher and Craftsman Harrison Gardner. Or will the HSA wait until someone is killed or maimed on a Building Site on one of these shows.

Budget - The budget was well explained. They had an Architect who knew that the budget was €70k, and the architect said that he designed works for Robbie and Grace for multiplies of the budget.

The budget was €70k and they spent approx €95k. They will need to hire many more Craftsmen, to “Build Your Own Home” 😂😂 and pay out approx €60k to finish off the house.

Corkionions have a great song called ‘The Langer’. Master Builder and Building Teacher and Craftsman Harrison Gardner, should rename the show :- “ Only Fools and Langers”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Just caught up with the repeat of this today and it was the most refreshing building programe I have come across ,it showed the reality of self builds .They were not afraid of throwing off their coats and getting stuck in .Pity more young couples dont show a bit of this work ethic ,I did similar job here in my own home and remember fitting a stove with help on christmas day!! and never had a mortage either.

Pity there is not more builders with Harrison outlook .Best of luck to them all !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Last night's build certainly was a more substantial build than the first one. Still a fan of it overall but I felt they skipped over key details like how they insulated it etc... But I guess it's hard to fit everything into an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,235 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

OMG No Dermot Bannon on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wasn't too optimistic about how last night's house would turn out but they ended up with a lovely house. They even covered insulation to keep me happy. The countertops made from pool table slate were genius imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Caught a rerun of this last night and what a brilliant show.

A very good presenter, a great couple building the house, no egos, just nice honest down to earth people.

Very informative and interesting.

Leaves Room to Improve by the side of the road, that spoofer Bannon and his eye watering budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭thereiver

This is the best building diy show rte ever made the presenter is great alot of the materials were bought from done deal windows sills etc I used to watch grand designs but it's a bit unrealistic eg people building giant houses with large rooms on million pound budgets

It would be nice if there was a link on rte player showing the cost of all the materials in each house

I.d expect the idea for the show to be copied by some chanel like HGtv I don't know any other program that shows ordinary people building a home

I don't think the average couple can afford to spend 300k upgrading an old house I resume they got the old house from a relation room to improve is a good show it's not trying to show people building on a small budget

I used to watch this old house American tv show but there's no new episodes on YouTube anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Who is certifying these stick built extensions.

It all looks very cobbled together.

As far as I'm concerned, stick built is nearly impossible in ireland as it will have to have its structural design certified and for an Engineer to do that on a one off basis will be more expensive possibly than buying a factory timber frame.

This show doesn't appear to.bother about certification or regulation though.

Even fitting secondhand windows is not really a runner now in terms of certification.

Advertisement