Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pale Blue Eye - Netflix- Christian Bale

• 27-10-2022 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭

A good eerie feeling to the teaser trailer,

Selected cinema's from December 26th and Netflix from January 6th

Christian Bale stars.

West Point, 1830. A world-weary detective is hired to discreetly investigate the gruesome murder of a cadet. Stymied by the cadets’ code of silence, he enlists one of their own to help unravel the case — a young man the world would come to know as Edgar Allan Poe.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks intriguing, I wonder if there'll be much of a horror element - given its inclusion of Allen-Poe as a primary character. It's funny how historical American films can happily hire Brits without needing a change of accent.

And shoutout to Harry Melling; he has made a tidy little acting career. Rarely anything especially noteworthy or headlining but solid - and that's probably why he rarely gets noted as an ex Harry Potter actor who did good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,286 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Proper trailer out for this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Looks good.

Very few movies of this genre being made nowadays which is a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah really like the feel to that.

• Advertisement

This is out now on Netflix.

Mixed reception on this one it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I really enjoyed it. Great atmosphere Bale excellent as usual and a great performance by Harry Melling as Edger Allan Poe. Not for everyone but I certainly enjoyed this murder/mystery tale more then the overly contrived Glass Onion that I watch last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭thefa

That’s a fair comparison to Glass Onion. This is far more substance over style. Enjoyed it too.

I thought Melling’s acting was a bit over the top at times but his character was the oddball, poet and his physical acting was great.

Watched this this evening and it's almost aggressively dull. A very handsome picture by all accounts, and one that was full of atmosphere, with its candlelit rooms and frigid snow-suffocated landscapes; but the central mystery was pretty uninteresting, and not helped by a sometimes disjointed, stilted structure of the film itself. Scenes just came off like they were cobbled together, nothing seemed to flow with any natural ryhtym.

The range of acting was all over the place: Bale was OK, mostly playing it with that tortured whisper of his, getting a little hammy in places when asked to emote. Henry Melling was pretty memorable, basically shouldering the whole film's appeal through heroic, oddball energy that was often at odds with the rest of the picture. Gillian Anderson was just ham all the way down, while I wasn't sure what Timothy Spall was up to.

So great to look at, but almost nothing going on under the surface.

• Advertisement

Yeah i switched it off a third of the way through. Looks great, eminently dull with some scenes indulgently slow without reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Felt like sleepy hollow without the flying flaming pumpkins.

I enjoyed it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Got around to watching it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Beautifully shot, good acting for the most part (Gillian Anderson apart) and a good story.

Bale is quality as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Caquas

Finally got around to watching this. The production was superb, a convincing recreation of America in the 1830s with a fine cast who, for the most part, did their best with their roles.

The twists in this tale are presumably meant to evoke the gothic tales of Edgar Allen Poe but their effect was bizarre and confusing rather than disturbing and captivating. The final twist makes the whole affair seem a far-fetched contrivance.

And in the end, I just didn’t feel strongly about the fate of the characters.

I imagine this is why there were no Oscar nominations, not even in technical categories, for this lavish production.

I think this is typical of the current era when huge resources and great talent are expended on films that lack weight and credibility (Lost Daughter and Banshees come to mind, I’m not even wholly convinced by EEAAO though it at least had sufficient energy and commitment to carry the plot.)

Advertisement