Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cattle shed/canopy

Options
  • 27-10-2022 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

my current set up is, 3 bay double dry shed with a 4 bay slatted tank(roofless) to the front, this is where the cattle feed. I dont particularly want to roof the tank plus it wouldnt be that simply. My main concern is, that the feed gets wet. I have been thinking of putting up a canopy at the feed barrier, this would be 80ft long, A type canopy, projecting 7ft over bales & 6ft over cattle at barrier. Min height of 10.5ft to allow for tractor access. Has anyone ever seen this done or can ye see any potential issues with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Great idea once the breeze would not carry it .What way is it positioned for the prevailing wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭148multi

Why not go with a simple lean to type canopy, you will probably need more bracing ,(diagonal).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

Is that slatted unit going to come under scope of the new regs requiring covers by 2027? Or do the slats count as a cover now?

Do you meet the required theoretical storage for the number of cattle given the amount of rain goin into the tank that must be included in the calculation (might be important if going a tams route).

If roofing I would roof it all.

Any reason why you don’t want to roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

Youtube channel "Farming at la forge" in france has a covered feed area like that, just single slope would be easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Another idea. Although with both that I've put up you need to move them out of way when feeding out. Not sure if that is an issue for you though.

If you still want to go for the canopy I think a single slope would be easier and cheaper to make instead of the apex roof. The are looks well sheltered but only you will know if could be an issue.

Advertisement