Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maybe upgrade the 63 Amp fuse on the CU when getting a home EVCP: I got it done yesterday

• 28-10-2022 8:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭

The RCCB tripped, potentially saved few lives. fuse was weak link.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yikes, did it go over the limit or trip early?

Surely the load balancing should have kept you under the 63A limit

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Sparks said the fuse holder etc had been failing for a while and the long 6.3 kW charges at night just accelerated its demise.

The 7.5 kW shower, after car is charged just added to the load.

The Zappi does manage the load.

In passing what max setting have you got on yours?

Ouch, yeah definitely worth getting the mains fuse tested then

Mine has a the Grid limit set to 63A and Device limit set to 32A. I'm currently on a 40A fuse

I've also got a group limit of 32A since the Zappi shares the circuit with an EO Mini

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭VikingG

I got a charger installed a couple of days and noticed that the side of the Fuse Box by the RCBO is quite warm to the touch - now it is not in melt down territory as the picture above but a little concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

I would set the grid limit to less than 63 amp, say 55 or 50. It's rare you would hit that limit if charging car overnight but maybe in the early morning if immersion heating and instant shower were on you might.

On older fuseboards I have audibly heard screw in fuses like that buzzing. Unscrewing fuse and giving it a clean and retightening can help but really once anything is buzzing or sparking it should be replaced asap.

The main danger if house electrical fires us aftermarket cheap Chinese phone chargers left plugged in all night particularly in bedrooms next to flammable bedsheets.

Plenty of houses with really, really old fuseboards and sockets out there. There really should be regulations of inspections every 20 years.

• Advertisement

Regarding inspections, I do agree to some extent. Even if the regulations didn't change, everything wears out and eventually will fail before it's rated limits

In theory that exists already since electricians are supposed to bring older houses up to the current regs or replace damaged components whenever they're doing work. It's likely that a house will need some electric work done in a 20 year timeframe

Unfortunately, upgrading the electrics in a house isn't cheap and as we've often seen on the home charger thread that when homeowners are presented with a €10k quote to upgrade wiring they try to look for a way around it

There really should be some consideration for homeowners who are doing such work, like the HRI incentive so they can get some tax back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Not to hijack this thread, but it seems like the perfect place to ask this. My RCCB trips a lot.

Here's a pic; in case I'm calling it the wrong thing. The switch beside it is for the Electric Shower

As far as I can figure out, it only trips when the car is plugged in outside (I have a Zappi), but the car doesn't have to be charging for it to trip (the Car is set up to only charge after Midnight) to get night-rate electricity.

It probably trips 3 or 4 times a week. Any suggestions? Would setting a Grid Limit/Device Limit help this, and if so, is that set on the Zappi?

Thanks!

The picture is an RCBO, which is a combination of am RCD and MCB. It gives over current protection (stops fires and equipment damage from a short) and leakage protection (stops someone getting killed if they get electrocuted)

So if it's tripping when the car isn't charging, then I'm not sure it's anything to do with the grid limit

There might be an internal short somewhere, or a leakage path to earth

Or it's faulty, in any case you'll need an electrician to check it. They can do a trip test to see what current the RCBO is tripping at. They should also be able to check for leakage or any earth problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have the same issue, also a Garo part.

have my electrician coming to install changeover switch and fit Eddi in about 3 weeks so I'll ask him to have a look. he's going to have the CU apart anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

As above, RCBO probably needs replacing but could be other things too so you need a spark to test the circuit to know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks a lot for your replies! I'll get an electrician to have a look at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

I would have also expected to see the shower on a RCBO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,743 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Zappi has load balancing, from the description it sounds like the fuse failed (quite spectacularly) before its rated limit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Load balancing in place with CT and it works as I can track out on the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The RCBO look perfectly good. It sounds like whoever wired in your Zappi got lazy and maybe just connected it to that and if the shower is also connected to it too and always on the switch for the shower that is not the actual shower itself then maybe when you plug your car in the load from it is uneven maybe to do with current going leaking out to your car or to earth even do you are not charging it.

Was that RCBO always there or was it only put in when the Zappi was done?

Your shower really should be on an RCBO so I would get that checked by an electrician as soon as possible because if its only on an RCD there is no protection for anyone who might get a shock in the shower and they could get fried. Note not a nice way to die. MCBs only stop cables from overheating and going on fire RCDs and RCBOs are there to protect people as they trip if there is any current leakage and it only takes a very small amount for them to do so.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Good stuff, and has the Zappi been given grid limits, with firmware updates these are lost sometimes

Advertisement