Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2022 Assistant Principal Competition - Open and Interdepartmental

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stickmam

I don't think 400 were interviewed in Batch 1. PAS supposedly took the first 400 after Stage 1 and shortlisted by application, Stage 2. Then of those that passed the shortlisting, only those who scored 114 or more were called to interview, Stage 3. There's no way of knowing how many that was (assuming they even took 400 in the first place).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mcgort

When was your interview? Did they run the boards at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vinoveritas29

I saw on the zoom link (called Interview Board 3) that it was active from around 28 Feb - 10 March, my interview was within that. And from another comment on here I don't think there were any interviews after that but I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gadgetman99

Board 3 finished up on the 10 March. As far as I can recall there is always multiple boards and they run at the same time as each other. That would mean all Batch 1 candidates have been interviewed as at 10 March so now its just a release of results due.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stickmam

Well fingers crossed we won't be waiting too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gadgetman99

Results are out.

I failed. Hey ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mullenmore

Me too

I have been there, it feels very sore for a while and I'm sorry it didn't happen for you.

I made it across the line, I'm delighted but I know what that disappointment feels like. Best of luck for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mullenmore

Is it worth doing it again?

I don’t know how I can improve- I scored really well all the way through and failed 2 items. If I had to resit the interview tomorrow, I don’t think I’d improve.

I’ll have to put the same effort into trying something else but I want to get out of the career area I am currently in and this seemed like the way.

Ironically, I got into the CS when I left school but I turned it down to go to Uni.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Rosie_ob

I passed myself which was I’m delighted about, I had recently placed on an internal AP panel (a high number and wouldn’t be called for some time) so I knew I could pass, but I’m still quite surprised! I found this interview extremely hard. I’ve placed in the top 25 and my scores were not amazing so I think the marking was very tough.

From experience, it can common to fail the interview for higher grades once or twice before getting it so I would say don’t give up and try again.

I failed just one section, got 20 when I needed 24, rest were comfortable passes. Very disappointed and won't be applying again. Ironically I failed on what I felt was my strongest element, of which I have bucket loads of experience and 2 diplomas in! I must have answered something very badly to have failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 prop forward

The advice I would give to those who went down in any area is try again but get if you didn't a professional coach. I got placed off 21 panel but I failed previously. I used a professional job coach and the difference was very clear. He identified what I needed and areas I thought I was string improved on. From somebody who has fallen previously st the last fence definitely try again and use a professional coach. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Alrite_

Thanks, that is good advice. I am just wondering if you would recommend a particular professional coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭furrybones

Congrats and well done to all who passed the interviews 👏👏👏

For those of us who fell at various hurdles, there's always next time :) Definitely invest in the test preparation package, well worth the money.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭flended12

Well done to those who passed. This was the first time I didn't get to interview stage for this level. Like that old saying 5th times a charm.

Dust off and go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭res1

Well done to all those who got placed on the panel the hurdles to getting there are a nightmare. To those that did not keep trying sometime it will just click into place and worth keeping an eye on public jobs for specific AP/HEO roles also. For anyone in possible second batch best of luck in next culling round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Emyou11

I used Carr Communications and was assigned Alison Hand who was excellent and really nice. Think she was a big part of the reason I managed to panel this time around. Best of luck next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Kirbi

I also used Carr Commucations (in the previous AP competition), and was placed last year.

I genuinely believe I wouldn't have passed without the training - it really helped me tighten up my plan for interview and made me a lot more comfortable going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Swilly22

What kind of price would something like that be please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 katie1920

350 for 2 hours of interview prep and a separate fee charged for help with the presentation. There are lots of places that offer this apart from Carr Communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Rosie_ob

For info PAS will start calling candidates from

this panel for clearance next week. I had a query today and that was the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Swilly22

I believe the internal DSP AP competition is moving on to Stage 1 video interview soon. This may end up removing candidates from the open or inter departmental competition

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭countyireland12345

So who will be called to Stage 3 (interview) next? Those who scored over 1,159 in Stage 1 (online tests) but under 114 in Stage 2 (shortlisting, assuming the pass mark is less than 114); or those who scored under 1,159 in Stage 1 and haven't yet progressed to Stage 2? Perhaps PAS will take a break to onboard all those successful at interview.

Post edited by countyireland12345 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Emyou11

I only paid the 350 for the interview prep, I did not get any assistance with the presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭agnena

I would say PAS will continue interviewing batch 1 (stage 3), before shortlisting batch 2 (stage 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kidas

It seems the interviews are really tough. Can anyone say what kind of things are being asked?

What threw me was I was asked questions for all of the competencies, generally public service values and Interpersonal and comm skills are assessed throughout the interview but for this one I was asked separate questions and was not properly prepared if that's any help. Also because all 6 are being asked they cut you off as time is too tight. That was my impression anyway, just felt I never got into a proper flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kidas

Thanks, someone else was saying that the constant interruptions threw them too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 casementm

Received email today for a Stage 3 exercise and interview this month.

How soon in advance of the day did people get the topics for the exercise in the last batch?

Advertisement