Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 US Mid-Term Elections Thread (election date: Tuesday, 8th November)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Huge on ground turn out should favour gop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Looks like an absolute bloodbath in Florida, remarkable that was a swing state not so long ago and DeSantis crawled over the line in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Mi ami dade going gop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah it's fascinating the way that states change over time. For years Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania were always the big three of swing states. Only 1 of them left now. At the same time Colorado and Virginia have become blue states and Georgia and Arizona have become swing states. Swings and roundabouts.

Yep of course Rubio and DeSantis won't be around forever so it could swing back one day.

This isn't a great start if you are hoping for a Red Wave in the senate, looks like a much more comfortable win for Hasan than some predicted in New Hampshire.

Republican majority on betfair was 1.3 now 1.77 ,,,so still favored but going to be a few close ones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Warnock going well too. Lot of split ticket voting clearly happening in GA with Kemp cruising.

Yeah I think I referenced their was plenty of Warnock/Kemp voters.

Vance struggling in Ohio and Budd in North Carolina, they should still win comfortably enough as plenty of counting to come but this isn't ideal signs for those all in on a red wave.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Voting rights is THE most political issue in thr US. How can you describe it as apolitical?

The GOP have made an art form out of tipping the scales in their favour. The Democrats need about 55% of the vote to win 50% of the seats in the House. The GOP know their path to victory only works if they suppress the Dem vote. They don’t want voter rights, they want to take the right away from as many people as possible

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The headline so far: it wasn’t as bad as expected for the Democrats. The GOP definitely win the House as expected but the Senate is still close.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭StevenToast

STOP THE COUNT!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Brutal performance by the Republicans all told. The Trump MAGA influence isn't good for the ballot box.

Superb night really.

The Georgia senate runoff will be close as its a purple state now, but its going to be very hard for Walker as their will be no Kemp to do any heavy lifting .

Governor races where they were predicted to struggle look rosy mainly Arizona.

Downside is the likely loss of the house but margin will be small and the DeSantis issue. I see a lot of sniping online but a lot of people are going to have to acknowledge no matter your opinion on his politics this dude is a seriously formidable politician and if he comes through a primary the dems have a serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Watching Fox News and its not surprising so many American's haven't got a **** clue. They are so biased, and truth seems to be a concept that doesn't matter to them. I know we all know this already, but christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Results for me show for me Trump won't get re elected if he runs .With all the issues over there overall has been a poor night for the red side . They have plenty to mull over now Good night for De Santis another headache for some in the party .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Interesting to see this, as Trump is going to announce, but there may be pressure for RDS to run against him within the party.

Then again if they can get Moore vs Harper through the SC they won't give a ****.

Have you seen Newsmax or OAN? It’s even worse.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If someone told me OAN was a parody channel from Starship Troopers I'd believe you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Put on OAN there for a minute...bloody hell. People actually watch this, and think its news? Country's fucked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

People like to grumble about how something like Blazing Saddles couldn't be made anymore - they're wrong, but that's another matter. It's stuff like Starship Troopers' open, lurid parody of propaganda networks that couldn't be done anymore. Cos as pointed out above, they exist without an ounce of subtly or shame. If a blockbuster tried to mock these networks there'd be an angry campaign from the RIght Wing about Woke this and Liberal that, because the American media landscape now openly embraces and encourages this kind of frothy-mouthed vitriol passing for "News"

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think after this it will be De Santis on the ticket in 2024, not Trump.

But we'll probably get to witness some red-on-red infighting until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭McFly85

Boeberts race is incredibly tight which is surprising(not because she’s any good but because she’s well known) - NYT still has her projected just about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Infighting?

They'll be eating their young.

Trump is done. One and done.

Kevin McCarthy might be too, as House leader. McConnell is big enough to hang on, and move the narrative to the centre ahead of DeSantis24.

But lets be clear, the only issue that was big enough to stall the default position of selfish, greedy American voters was Roe.

This was all about abortion and the 'Red Wave' was held back by Women,many of them traditional Republicans, who though they may never have had so much as a conversation with another living soul about it, despised the USSC for what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Improving votingv access ought to be an apolitical one, and in better times that bill would've sailed thru both houses.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

And never was.

Trying to suppress or ban certain sections from voting is as old as the democratic process whether it be gender, race or class all have been suppressed at some stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just as a follow-up to my own previous comments about the modern GOP: this is the rhetoric & ideology they're focusing on. Not exclusively, but it's fair to suggest DeSantis is someone who revels and embraces this canard of "Woke" being the apparent biggest threat to American Norms. There always has to be a villain.

“We fight the woke in the legislature,” DeSantis said, to steadily mounting cheers. “We fight the woke in the schools, we fight the woke in the corporations. We will never ever surrender to the woke mob. Florida is where woke goes to die.”

Watched the video contextual to this and it's just the worst kind of empty rhetoric. If this is the 2024 candidate-pretender then it's going to be another ugly Presidential cycle. Unless of course you buy into this antagonism - then I guess you're relishing the "liberal tears".

For sure, but it does make me laugh seeing people who rightfully call out fox for their bias and then post clips from MSNBC which is an absolute echo chamber for the dem party. There is very little standard old school media where the bias isn't obvious. CNN to their credit are much better than people think, partisan loons on both sides hate them so must be doing something right.

For sure, I think most at the time acknowledged it would but had hoped in the last few weeks that it wasn't such an issue ,,,whoops.

However candidate quality was the big issue here, Abbot signed of a very unpopular and restrictive abortion bill and stomped Beto , DeWine and Kemp also signed off on similar type bills and both did really well outrunning their MAGA Governors on their respective tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Former Obama staffer on CNN now saying Democrats ran "excellent local races"

She's spoofing her head off of course, they expected it to be carnage and instead its only (probably) a mild loss to no definitive control in the House.

It was the young and women voting liberal in huge numbers on conservative moves that did it, as exemplified by the abortion referendums at State level going in favour of women's reproductive rights in every case, even in the likes of Kentucky.

Advertisement