Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 13 locked to three

Options
  • 28-10-2022 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭

Hi my son is looking for an iphone 13 for Christmas

Seen one locked to three but he is on eir network

Am I right in saying eir sim cards will work on three locked devices?

I remember for years eir sims always worked in three handsets

Is it still the same

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I remember back in the day of meteor, meteor sim cards would also work on eir locked handsets, but never hear of an eir sim working on a locked three handset to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Eir, Three and Vodafone are the three “host networks” that provide mobile phone services in Ireland. That means that they each have their own independent physical infrastructure (masts, etc) to create their networks, and as such are totally independent from each other. Typically sims from one host network won’t work on a phone locked to another. So no, an Eir sim won’t work on a Three locked phone.

The other networks, like Virgin, GoMo, An Post Mobile, Tesco etc are Mobile Virtual Network Operators (NVMOs). They each lease capacity from one of the host networks and sell it on, but don’t own or operate their own network infrastructure. Typically, a sim from an NVMO will work on a locked phone from their host network, and visa versa (but there could be exceptions). So my daughter has an An Post Mobile sim in an old phone of mine that’s locked to Vodafone, as Vodafone is the host network for A Post Mobile.

GoMo is the only current NVMO that uses the Eir host network.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

With three at the moment and it is relatively easy to unlock a phone. So I would be more cautious why the phone is still locked

Prepay customers

The device must be associated to a Three Ireland account and you‘ll need to have topped-up your prepay account by at least €130 before we will issue your unlock code.

This doesn’t include any bonus or promotional credit. Click here to request your unlock code.

Bill Pay customers

Your account must not be currently suspended by Collections or our Customer Protection Team.

If you have completed your minimum term period and not upgraded, we'll issue the unlock code, for the original/previous device, free of charge.

If you are still within your minimum term, you'll have to make a payment equivalent to the total of all the monthly charges still remaining for your agreed minimum term before we will issue your unlock code. Click here to request your unlock code..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

never buy a locked phone

as soon as you drive off they could report it as lost etc and you are screwed

Advertisement