Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borrowing / Lending out Machinery and Tools etc

• 28-10-2022 8:41pm

Folks, how’s it going, I’m looking for your honest opinions on what you think about lending out your machinery to neighbours and friends?

Do you mind doing this? Or does it annoy you to have to part with the equipment or tools you have paid for?

Sometimes it can be hard to say no to people when they ask and if they are stuck.

I’ve had to borrow plenty over the years and I have loaned out the bit of equipment I have too when I’m not using it.

When it’s idle, I don’t mind someone borrowing but when it’s needed or the chance that I’ll need it, I’d like it sitting there in the yard.

How do you feel about this subject? Like if you pay say 8k for a trailer and the neighbour has it gone a lot of the time, it can be a bit vexing I suppose?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see we have another random Friday night post on F&F. I must be getting paranoid 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'm fortunate that not many come to take a lend of things from us and not do we borrow off others.

Cattle and flat trailer would be lent out a few times and as long as we don't need it and it is returned clean and not mishaps all is good.

Lending tools never works out well as things go missing and damaged more easily. Odd that some people would even consider returning without repairing or replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

If I need it I buy it

Thanks all. See the thing about farming etc is, many farm are too small to justify going out to buy all the equipment you would need

Thank you for welcoming me 🙏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I myself don't mind lending something out once it's reasonable but if it comes back damages or in some way the arrangement has angered me then never again. You have to be able to say no as thre are lads out there with no respect

how would you feel if you were paid a few euros for letting someone borrow your equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Probably worse as the person would feel they could borrow anything anytime and probably pay much less than the going rate (and how do you decide on such a borrowed price with a neighbour?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

i’m happy to give fear to my neighbours and they do the same for me.

wouldnt dream of letting something go back worse than it went out to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

My auld lad gave the loan of a PTO cement mixer to his cousin back in the 80s, who kindly lent it on to another neighbor of his. When the auld lad tracked it down it was half full of dried in cement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I give a loan of the sheep/cattle trailer to a few people I know. It probably does more work on loan than for myself. It goes out clean and comes back clean, anything broke it gets repaired by whoever broke it and we all get on fine.

It works both ways really, and works well so far.

Post edited by davidk1394 on

I guess it depends on the gear really. Loads of people borrow my trailer. It’s as near to bullet proof as you’d get so no issue. I wouldn’t be as open for a lad to ask for some of my newer (and more expensive) stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SVI40

I lend stuff, but tell the up front, you break it, you buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭893bet

I would be reluctant to ask anyone. It’s too easy damage something, especially something you are not familiar with.

Say now if you had a slatted shed and you could borrow your neighbour's tanker and agitator and even tractor if necessary and empty the tank yourself, would you or would you still get in a contractor? Even if you had to pay the neighbour a few euro for the three pieces of equipment and had to top up the tractor with diesel.

Absolutely no way would I borrow (or lend) 3 pieces of equipment like that. The person borrowing it would most likely be totally unfamiliar with the gear and might be doing something wrong that they’re not even aware of. They should get a contractor- end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Piss take or a realisation someone hasn't even being using lube all these years?

I see what ye mean, the only thing is, as far as I’m aware anyway, is there any actual training to use a slurry tanker and agitator? You get a license to drive the car and tractor but I don’t think there is any formal training to use a tanker?

If you paid say, 15k for a piece of plant, you use it yourself say 6 times per year, would you let another man hire it off you when your not using it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

A Book by Herbert Fensterheim - "Don't say yes, when you want to say no"

for those who don't want to offend by refusing.

On that basis, you could hire out the wife when not using her as well……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Suckler

I'm fussy about lending tools. If someone asks, I'd tell them I'll come down and do it for them. Otherwise, its a case of "you break it. you bought it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If you're used to a tractor, tanker etc you'll cop a problem a long time before a less experienced person will, and long before it becomes a major problem.

There's places hiring out machinery, let them go there

Companies hiring out equipment keep the stuff new and have trained staff in their workshop,

Also if your machine injures someone, they'll be suing you and as far as I know you're responsible

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Only really borrow /lend with maybe 3 neighbours and there.s a very strong relationship there..usually its now only done a basis of being a bit stuck with something of your own breaking down.that said i ve a roller that a good few use but there no bother with that.i suppose back in the day when m9ney was tighter i would have done more of it with others but i would avoid it now.there s no excuse for someone more established to be at it whereas a young fella starting up you might give him a chance.its better not to think too much about stuff getting broken,it happens and you should just move on.as regards borrowing gear to do the full job like op suggested,no it s not really on.in general with these arrangments/relationships you have to feel you gain more than you lose on both sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭davidk1394

That's taking the píss really. Just get in a contractor. They might give you a loan of the tank but not all 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭893bet

This is a situation where shared ownership is useful. Cost of purchase shared. Cost of maintenance shared.

Was more common years ago. When we did our own silage we had shared ownership in pick up wagons. We still have a shared ownership in a sprayer (wouldnt pass a test these) and a few other small bits. Pulled a few wagons out of the ditch last year and had make sure to give some of the proceeds to a neighbour who was in halves 30 years ago 😀.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I used to be lending the whole time. Found it hard to refuse. But nearly every time things were damaged scratched or dented. Fellow had a tractor. Next week crown pinion ring etc. And always it was like that when I got it. One lad made a huge complement of giving me a half full 5litre can of vacuum pump oil after having tanker for a week. Brought it up many times. Have learned to say no way now and life is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

maybe to a family member or a close friend but not just anybody

my BIL uses our tanker and agitator from time to time but he’s a top notch machinery guy.

I wouldn’t be that generous with others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭older by the day

"he will borrow till he breaks it" that's a neighbor of ours. Kept coming for the cow box even when I had it on my own jeep. The way I cured the problem was, I spotted he got a new mower "well 10 years old". I went up one night and told him my own mower was broken and could I use his. I topped every field I had for a week. And dropped it back covered in ****. He never came for the cow box again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was trying to talk a couple of my friends to buy a share in a mower. All 3 of us would own it then and there'd be no hassle most of the time with 2 of us needing it at once. But they wouldn't go for it. I went and bought it anyway for myself. Then a few months later they both upgrade mowers too. I couldn't understand it. Same goes for the bale carrier. We've 5 between 3 of us and rarely is any more than one in use. Lads just like the comfort of knowing something is there when needed.

Back in my youth a neighbour constantly borrowed our small cattle box for the car. Each time it would come back either full of shite, dirty, punctured, lights broke or something. Father eventually got sick of it and put a sign at the gate "Trailer for hire". Was never asked again!

We used to borrow a dung spreader each year from a neighbour. And each year we'd break something on it. We'd fix it up and carry on. The neighbours used to love us coming for it as it never seemed to break for them and we were doing all the repairs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I never understood how some folk could have the brass neck on them to borrow something and not leave it back in as good as condition as they got it.

I'd be too mortified to leave something back that was broken.

Advertisement