Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borrowing / Lending out Machinery and Tools etc

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I was trying to talk a couple of my friends to buy a share in a mower. All 3 of us would own it then and there'd be no hassle most of the time with 2 of us needing it at once

As sure as ****, a setup like that is always an absolute unmitigated disaster.

3 lads not talking to each other and a broken mower is all that will be out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

No way would I ever consider borrowing something so expensive.

I've never actually spread slurry, always got the contractor to do it, but even if I was experienced at it, I wouldn't borrow that amount of equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Can be, or not. We share lots of stuff between us as is, and 2 of us own a couple of things between us (rake, agitator). Never been any trouble to date. Might have to wait a day for something on rare occasions

Thanks lads for the comments, great insights.

lads, what I’m saying is, would you rent out your trailer, mower, tractor, roller, bale lifter, even jeep if you were not using it?

if you could get 50 euro for hiring out your trailer for a day or multiple days that you are not using it, would you or would you leave it in the yard?

You’d be getting paid, no lending or borrowing, what do you think of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

My father got a tractor drawn cattle trailer made years back and 5 or 6 neighbours would borrow it. One of them was complimenting the trailer saying there should be a trailer like that in every village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Cheeky fecker.

How much did it cost your father to get it made?

I see what ye mean fellas BUT would getting paid overcome the resentment and problems? If your dad got whatever it is, 80 to 100 euros for RENTING his trailer, would he have been happy or would he not rent at all do you think?

There was no resentment or problems, these were good neighbours and still are.

IIRC it was £1050, we supplied axle and drawbar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I suppose the big thing you have to understand is most fellas have thzir own gear not because of financial reasons but to be able to do their own work when they want it done so the bit of rent for machine wouldnt be worth it if your gear is broken or not in the yard when you need it.also the more work a machine does the more maintance it requires so really you are drawing more bills on yourself from what i ve seen alot of hire machines are really just demo s and the crowds doing it are hoping to get a few sales out of it

• Advertisement

Right, god I thought lads would be anxious to earn a few euros from depreciating plant. It would be at your own discretion as to when you would want to rent it…. I can see the concerns of lads but Jesus most people would be straight. Think of renting a car from the airport, you’d be careful with it and return it perfectly. You rent for a specific purpose and once fulfilled, you return. Of course accidents will happen but sure you could break your neck in the shower in the morning too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Not really comparable to your car renting example, You’re given the car on the condition you give them a credit card, if you wreck it they will rinse you. You don’t have the same security renting out machinery unless you’re going to start charging deposits and then it gets very messy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Well you know what they say, a lender nor a borrower be!

Now i have borrowed the odd thing and i've lent out the odd bit, but seeing something coming back broken would piss me off, slowly building up my own gear, it's nice to be able to hook up to what you want in 5 minutes and head off.

I have absolutely no interest in lending/renting out my gear, it'll depreciate an awful lot faster giving it to every tom and harry in the village.

It's getting harder to buy gear now with the price and some things like slurry are going the way of the contractor.

The problem with buying between 2 or 3 lads is there's always one that will take the piss and the other two will resent the purchase! seen it all too often.

Advertisement