Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Internationals 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,496 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've already given my opinion as to why he does it.

Just to add, I don't read Twitter, Facebook etc. The only stuff I see from there is on here. If you don't like his stuff then don't read it. I'm sure you can set up your accounts on those sites to block any post/tweet or whatever you call it that has Rassie in it?

That's not a valid excuse.

His desire to create a siege mentality or rally up his players isn't a valid justification for disparaging the integrity of referees. It's harmful to the game.

He deserves to be disciplined for these actions (just like he was last time).

Part of me thinks he wants that here; because it will just further allow him to build his false narrative of the world against the big bad Springboks.

What's his ultimate goal? I'd be 99.9% certain it's to win the World Cup. They did that last time up and they have a team good enough to do it again.

If they do it again you'll have loads of people saying they did it in spite of Rassie. Truth is that those people will be lying to themselves and anybody that will listen to them.

I'm sure referees are in touch with each other all the time and supporting each other. It's not going to affect the decisions they make in the field during a game.

It's not just about elite referees at the top of the game. He's encouraging an environment where referees are subject to an even heightened level of scrutiny and criticism.

It's a job that is already relatively thankless yet integral to the game.

If this type of culture that Rassie is promoting became the norm, absolutely no one anywhere would want to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Many people do though and some of the abuse aimed at referees is disgusting. A players insinuating a ref was bribed is toxic. She was quiet the week before when her husband escaped a red card though funnily enough.

Time for World Rugby to sanction SARU significantly IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Gonna make my Donald Trump comparison again here.

The New York billionaire (and son of a billionaire) convinced a lot of gullible people and self-interested snakes that he was the man to stand up for the working man against the "coastal elites".

Now we have a lad above who says Rassie is sticking it to the "old boys club" of rugby, and there are legions of SA people on twitter rowing in behind that line. Just a reminder that SA are one of the most powerful members of that old boys club. They got away with subjugating an entire race of people purely on the basis of their status in said club.

This is nothing to do with his team. Like Trump, this is all about Rassie and his ego.

I don't mind the SA poster slavishly defending him, that's in his DNA. What melts my brain is Irish people doing it when all he did was p"ss in our face and tell us it was lemonade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Shehal

I havent seen much from SA to suggest they are going to win the RWC or are even on track to do it. Is their team good enough to do it? Yes but what evidence is there that the coaches or Rassie are doing anything that's in the end going to lead to them lifting the trophy. To me this talk about winning the RWC is a lazy excuse to just to buy themselves time, identical to what Jones is doing with England it seems. The reality is throughout this cycle what have SA done very little to advance their game, if they were to play a RWC final tomorrow and everyone was fit and on form they XV SA would name would more or less be the same as 2019 bar fullback and arguably No.8 which was already a squad in its prime if not slightly on the older side. So with all this talk about 2023 what has the coaches changed? If anything they seem to be hiding behind the "we won RWC last time which means we can automatically win it against" bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

So if u want to talk about pre 94 apartheid then let’s discuss the way the Irish treat the traveler community??no difference to that and apartheid.u don’t allow them in hotels or pubs,u look down on them and treat them as shite?can’t wait to hear ur excuse now

Do you remember the Autumn internationals the year before the last World Cup? They beat a bad French team by 3 points, an even worse Scotland by six points and lost to England and Wales. They finished second in the 2018 rugby championship and won it in 2019. They finished second in this year's rugby championship, let's see how they do next year.

Does this time around seem any different so far?

I want to be clear here, I don't like Rassie and how he goes on but I respect how good he is at his job.

• Advertisement

Well you can't possibly be suggesting that they sanction them because of what the wife of a player said?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It almost reads like you're saying rugby is responsible for apartheid

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No but its the type of toxic crap he wants to generate with his video tweets and its time world rugby grew a pair

But once again you prove my point about the Book coaching staff basically hiding behind the "we did it last time" excuse. I have yet to see how exactly those Autumn internatioanls played any role in them winning the RWC?

So basically after 4 years in the job he is in a position no different than he was in 2018...doesn't that sort of prove my point? At least in 2018 he had the excuse that his squad was in transition, you cant make that excuse with this squad.

Its smart by Rassie, hide behind the "we won the RWC in 2019" excuse and then when it all implodes next year he cant be fired as he'll already completed his job, not that it matters as he's practically his own boss.

The stupidity of the comparison.

Rassie is giving his opinion.

Trump told people to do things, incited people to take action. Trump is racist and homophobic. Trump uses religion when it suits him. Cried foul over an election as a con job to take more money from those less intelligent people. Have you seen the court documents released by the hacker group relating to underage sex by two males with a fifteen year old? The other male named in those documents conveniently committed suicide in prison.

Your comparison is crazy.

Hiding behind winning the World Cup? How is that a thing? 😁

They won the World Cup, that's a huge achievement. It doesn't matter if they don't do it this time. It's an incredible achievement if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Rassie doing Rassie! If world rugby has a problem with him, they will sanction him. He'll go as far as he's allowed.

South Africa are in a good position going forward. They played Europe's 2 best teams and lost both by a combined 10 points. Of course, they didn't have Pollard who would probably have made a difference.

I agree that S.A have not evolved much. I believe they will have to. They won't bludgeon their way to the world cup. They will be tough and ready.

He(rassie), is following a long line of sports people who use social media to advance their pov. He's entitled to do it? Best to ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

They won the WC where they got spanked by NZ, beat a game Japan, struggled past an average Wales who were only in the semi by virtue of Vahamina being an idiot, and beat a good English team. All conquering they were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Absolutely not.

Just pointing out that SA carry a lot of weight in World Rugby, the idea that they need Rassie to stick up for them against the "old boys" is absolute bollocks. They are the old boys.

I presume you read my post. Can you tell me where I said they were "all conquering" or even suggested it?

It doesn't matter how you win a World Cup by the way, winning it is all that matters.

People will celebrate it every bit as much as if you destroyed every team and you'll be in the record books as World Cup winners.

• Advertisement

u do realise u don’t win a World Cup in the group stages,plenty teams use the group stage to warm up into the comp same way certain cyclists use the beginning stage of the Tour de France to warm up.

And yet when gatland bitches about refs in his tv interviews prior to playing the first lions game nobody batted a eyelid.Nh love talking themselves up all the time yet they never back it up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He is not just giving his opinion. He is trying to undermine the authority of the refs. If a fan does that it makes little or no difference. When a coach for an international team does it after every single game. It’s a far more pointed action. Clearly it is now filtering down to his players. If you or I have an issue with a refs decision we have no recourse except to discuss it on social media. He has an actual pathway that he chooses not to use.

rassie did a great job resurrecting the SA team and he should be commended for that. Instead he chooses this as his legacy. It’s like a school yard bully version of Eddie Jones. All the aggression and none of the brains.

Another apples and oranges comparison - Gatland made one specific comment where he discussed the Lions' frustration with the TMO being from South Africa. That would hardly be considered a controversial viewpoint, as the principle of neutrality of referees would be pretty well established.

It's quite different from an approach where Rassie is releasing hour long or multiple videos assessing a multitude of small decisions and implying the referees are against his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

In 2018 SA were at the start of an upswing in form. Most of us here were commenting on it at the time. They made the top 2 of the RC for the first time in 4 years and also beat NZ for the first time in those 4 years. In NZ. Even the one they lost vs NZ that year was a big statement from SA. It was the same day as the Leinster-Munster game in the Aviva and the game was on right before our one. And all the talk on the walk from the pub to the stadium was about how SA looked like they were back just on time for the 2019 RWC. And how typical it was given they were on our side of the draw.

SA are not in the same place now as they were in 2018 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Let me get this right. A poster who wrote 'he detests paddies', or words to that effect, is trying to teach me about Apartheid.

OK.

Its a thing because they are using it as a distraction from the fact they are doing an average at best job at the moment.

It is but its not 2019 anymore, continuing to use the RWC in 2019 as an excuse to ignore their failings in 2022 is a recipe for disaster.

It doesnt matter how you win a RWC is correct

Saying it means Rassie knows what he's doing is another statement, by that same discussion you could say Michael Cheika was a genius for Australia in 2015 yet the following 4 years showed him up big time.

Small decisions?think u need to re look at it if u think it’s small decisions.if any of that happened in a Irish game u would all be uk in arms as u always are when things don’t go ur way.don’t try act like that doesn’t happen

• Advertisement

That was in response to a muppet saying he detests South Africans.and yea I prob could school u on the game of rugby

Advertisement