Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Internationals 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Bizarre that he jogged after his own kick, and then slow-jogged after the ball like an under 8 player, followed the ball and jogged around the blind-side of the ruck. Why didn't he just return into his 10 slot into the defensive line, would have prevented the hole that was there, he offered nothing to the ruck, so should have stayed out in his normal 10 channel.

He's let himself and his team down badly in that phase of play there.

Just picked up there that it was 7 minutes into the game!! 😲

No way he could have been tired by then, just pure lack of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Michael Hooper has also been ruled out of Australia's game against Wales. I think at least 5 players who played against us last weekend are are now injury enforced absences. Will Skelton will also miss this game as it falls outside the test window. He's back with La Rochelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

It that were true its funny how their fixtures against Premiership opposition in the Champions Cup didnt get that big a crowd either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Agreed. That's one the reasons I said it won't fix their attendance issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Advertisement

Russell is a gifted player. He has terrific balance, a great read of the game and his skill set is well developed (passing, kicking).

The only reason he isn't one of the best outhalves in the world is his attitude. He obviously has poor discipline off the field - this is well established on two fronts. Firstly he has been disciplined by his national coach and has subsequently aired his grievances in public. For me - that is a sign of deep immaturity, and a lack of self awareness. Secondly - his conditioning is poor, compare him to the likes of Biggar, Sexton, Farrell and it's pretty clear the guy doesn't really bother with anything more than the bare minimum.

He's in the wasted talent category for me. He's still a really impressive and successful player - I can only imagine what he'd be like if he applied himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PMC83

Whats the craic with games outside the International window? Just money spinners? Rake of league games this weekend and a good few looking very unbalanced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The absolute worst place he could gone was Racing, they seem to be extremely tolerant of slackers and wasters over there.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

It actually appears that most International teams have taken on additional fixtures this year. Ireland for example had the Maori games, the Emerging Ireland tour and the game against the All Black A's. SA had two wider squad games also. Australia has played additional fixtures from what it normally would.

Remarkable state rugby is in currently, I can't remember a time when it was this competitive between the top 8 teams. Reading about Ireland in foreign press also quite fascinating, other countries are a lot more complimentary about us and foreboding about their chances against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Pretty much yeah.

The normal tours sees all the money going to the homeside.

Any games outside the window is a negotiated split of the money or a large match fee.

• Advertisement

Finn russell is such a good OH that he is signing for the amazing and powerful and world conquering club that is Bath.

HAhahahahahahahahhahahahah

Him and jvg are going to get on like a house on fire!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He is deeply undisciplined on the field as well. Not in the sense of penalties, but in the sense that he just decides he's not bothered at times. All part of the same issue of course, but its not just a conditioning or behaviour thing - he frequently mentally quits on plays/games.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Gonna be honest. I have next to zero interest in this week's games and won't be watching. Maybe the Eng vs SA game, but I'm sort of rugbyed-out for the year. Australia are riddled with injuries and will be imagining the beach, but then again Wales are crap. Next stop for me is Super Rugby and 6N. Maybe some of the European games once it gets interesting. It's been a good while since I've watched the Irish provinces, I just can't drum up enthusiasm for the URC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Agree re Wales vs Australia but England vs

S. Africa should be a cracker after last weekend's results.

Lots of rugby on TV with URC resuming but

note that BT Sport aren't showing any Friday night GP match probably due to England playing in Soccer WC.

Wales have made 6 changes to the team that lost to Georgia, with Joe Hawkins coming in to make his debut at 12, Leigh Halfpenny back in the 15 shirt, and Rio Dyer and Gareth Anscombe brought in for the dropped Josh Adams and Rhys Priestland.

In the pack Alun-Wyn Jones comes back in and Taulupe Faletau is back at 8.

Interesting how the reaction has been to turn to three guys with an average age of 34, who have an average of 114 caps each. Kind of underlines behind their 'golden generation' there isn't huge faith in what's coming next.

Team (15-9,1-8): Leigh Halfpenny, Alex Cuthbert, George North, Joe Hawkins, Rio Dyer, Gareth Anscombe, Tomos Williams, Gareth Thomas, Ken Owens, Dillon Lewis, Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones, Jac Morgan, Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.

Reps: Ryan Elias, Rhodri Jones, Tomas Francis, Ben Carter, Josh MacLeod, Kieran Hardy, Rhys Priestland, Josh Adams.

Has the potential to be a good game, both teams really need a win. I'd say Australia are shattered after the Ireland game but I think they've more quality.

Pivac definitely under pressure: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/63705484

Cuthbert ?

They may as well bring back jenkins ffs.

Both teams need a win to save their autumn, could be a good battle alright.

Yeah, I do think Wales will bounce back. They tend to lift themselves against better opposition and will surely be stinging from the amount of criticism they've taken in the past week.

It might be a game too far for the Aussies too; they supposedly only had 25 players fit for selection of their 36 man touring squad.

They're giving a first start to Ben Donaldson at 10, along with another couple of enforced changes, still looks a strong side though:

15-9,1-8: Tom Wright, Jordan Petaia, Len Ikitau, Reece Hodge, Mark Nawawaqanitawase, Ben Donaldson, Jake Gordon, James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Allan Ala'alatoa, Cadeyrn Neville, Nick Frost, Jed Holloway, Fraser McReight, Langi Gleeson.

Reps: Lachlan Lonergan, Tom Robertson, Sam Talakai, Ned Hannigan, Pete Samu, Tate McDermott, Noah Lolesio, Jock Campbell.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I suppose Australia are getting a chance to test/develop their squad depth

Mad seeing Pivac go back to the class of 2012 to try and save his international coaching career. Basically picking a Gatland team to try and beat a second string Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i still think that if Australia are focused, they can win this.

if theyve one eye on the bondi surf wales will power over them

Presumably australia will be going with the tactic of passing quickly and often to the lad with the long last name.

The welsh fans cant be happy ( generally speaking as well as recently) so a good start by the aussies would quieten the millennium stadium no end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

AWJ starting again! Wales do need a good start. They should be in this one as Oz have a few inexperienced lads playing. I think ifOz win and win comfortably, Pivac could be toast.

I think Wakes will win. They aren't great, but Australia have at least 10 players out with injury who would have started this game were they fit.

Also, I think it's madness that Alun Wyn Jones is starting. He has been finished as a player since before the Lions Tour to South Africa. He was rushed back from injury to take part in those tests and made zero impact. He has continued to make zero impact as a starter or as a sub since then too.

It says more about the players behind him than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Rassie has scheduled a live Vimeo event for 4pm on Nov 30th, ie the minute his media ban expires.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

What legitimate reason does he have for this? Tour will be over, really smacks of trolling WR. Wouldn't be surprised if he did/said something to get a further ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Advertisement