Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Internationals 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Someone just really really hates the Irish rugby team. With a serious passion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Who gives a **** about what the 2019 draw was like when it was made in 2017? Its irrelevant to the tournament itself and that's exactly the problem with the early draw and why England have ended up with such an easy pool and why the whole competition is so stupidly lopsided this year.

England have an easier time of it then any draw we've ever had. Mind you you could say the same about Wales and Australia in some ways. Everyone on that half of the draw is benefitting from only needing to be semi-competent to get through the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Looked back on the Wal vs Aus and I have to say that the Welsh 'fans' are horrible. Zero respect for kickers and in general just sore losers. Great Aussie finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

silence for kickers isnt the norm in many countries. if they want to make noise then fine but it doesnt make them 'horrible'

Would agree about sore losers tho

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

You're putting way too much stock on world rankings. We're currently #1 and Aus #8, but in reality there's very little between the two teams right now. Australia could be a force at the world cup when they have a full deck to pick from. Welsh rugby might have deep rooted issues, but the players they have are far better than the results they've been getting, and a new coach (probably Gatland) will knock them into shape in time for the world cup. And there's zero guarantee England beat Argentina (or Japan) to top the group.

My point is, this far out from the last world cup, we'd have put our houses on us topping our group and very much fancied our chances against South Africa in the 1/4s. We ended up with egg on our faces there. So much can change from now to then, that it's pointless to say "ah England have an easy draw". You need to show up and deliver, regardless of your draw. You'd think we of all people would know that.

I don't think us Irish fans are in a position to call any world cup draw "easy". We've had good draws and capitulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Why? Because I'm aware of how we perform at world cups and don't have a superiority complex?

World rankings are literally indicative of form. The reason Ireland and France are numbers #1 & #2 in the world rankings is because of the quality of schedule both teams have faced over the past 12 months and the consistency of form. And, fwiw, the Aussies are 6 in the rankings, and I disagree that there is "very little" between the teams.

There is surely little to no dispute that over the past 3+ years, the best 4 teams in the world all find themselves on the same side of the draw. If you don't think that's a contentious fact, then it obviously follows that the teams on the other side of the draw have an easier draw.

I don't think us Irish fans are in a position to call any world cup draw "easy".

This is a nonsense statement. You're someone who on the Munster thread was accusing another poster of "speculating" about the Crowley / Carbery situation, but that's exactly what you're doing here by saying "England probably will show up" etc.

You can only assess a WC draw on where you're currently standing, and Stevie Wonder could look at this situation and see England have an easier path to a WC semi final than we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

TRC taking a negative view on Irish rugby. Go away out of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's still time for all sides to get their houses in order

I wouldn't bet against England. Jones is a good coach, regardless of being a langer. There's talent in the squad and 4 years ago they were in the same kind of situation.

South Africa will be delighted with the tour. I reckon they got the most out of their tour. Ran us close, buggered England and ran France close too!

Pivac should be canned! Garland could revive that aging squad and improve them. Wales need to make a decision right now. They are not a world cup winning calibre side but, they could go a long way with Gatland.

Oz have unearthed a couple of gems! I hope they improve and stay healthy because they are a pleasant side to watch with the ball. I think their tour was decent! Like most teams theres problem areas and those problems can be fixed. That winger.... holy fcuk!

Scotland are a mixed bag. They can give teams problems. There's quality in the squad and if Russell ever gets his head together, they could be a dark horse. Their autumn was just as I thought it would be. They look great sometimes and then they shyte the bed.

Pumas! Discipline Discipline and discipline. Cheika must be losing his mind. I don't see them improving. The temperament is really poor. It's got to be frustrating. They are like France several years ago.

France! They will be there or thereabouts. Deep squad and can mix it up. They won't capitulate to anyone physically.

Kiwis! There's areas to work on, but there's time. Schmidt will help. Plenty of talent and experience. A poor year for them. I would expect a resurgence.

Us... building nicely. Decent autumn. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Wales needs a revamp from the top down. I mean to the extent that Italy had under Conor O'Shea. Their acadamies are gone to complete sh*te and they need someone to come in to completely change up the structures.

Italy is now starting to see the rewards of the work done under O'Shea, producing the likes of Garbisi, Capuozzo etc.

That isn't Gatland. Gatland will get you success but it will paper over the cracks. Wales needs a reset and badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Wales need a David Nucifora or similar to come in a run things without the distraction of coaching the national team.

There is a poster on a Welsh rugby forum called G'awec that would be very upset by this.

They oddly used to have Josh Lewsey in a role similar-ish to that up until 2015 or so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What did O'Shea do to 'produce' Capuozzo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

That statement seemed dubious to me also so looked it up, Capuozzo is French, and came through the French rugby system via Grenoble and then Toulouse, and was called up to the Italian 20's due to his father being Italian. Don't see how O'Shea had anything to do with Capuozzo directly, perhaps indirectly he may have improved their talent scouting or the setup was more enticing for foreign-born players to declare for Italy perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I've been in Wales when they have beaten Ireland (many times!). I can assure you it's not just when they loose.

There is the older (55+) cohort of Welsh supporters who are salt of the earth type. They don't go to the internationals anymore. Link has been broken between club and country with the 'region' debacle.

It looks like they are going to get rid of Pivac now. Which I think is another ridiculous decision. Particularly if they replace him with Gatland. Gatland is an excellent selector but without Edwards he's going to struggle. Welsh rugby is broke, in many ways, any new head coach is going to be stuck with the current backroom team.

Speaking of Welsh Rugby being broken a new chair for the WRU has been appointed.

Ieuan Evans.

In his manifesto he has promised to....

Triple the spent on amateur rugby from 12 million to 36 million.

That will fix things I'm sure /s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

Reading Warburton's article last week about the problems facing Welsh rugby I'm not sure that money to the grassroots will deliver what it might if the structures were reformed alongside investment. His point that WRU is dominated by reps from the clubs at the board/executive level, which hobbles joined up thinking, is very well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Which is insanity when the Regions don't even know what their budgets for the new season are. WRU is a professional organization being run by geography teachers, a basket case.

Also not sure O'Shea warrants much credit for anything with respect to Italian rugby. My impression was that he was a rather dismal failure.

• Advertisement

Stuff happened behind the scenes to improve Italian systems of Rugby development, underage, pathways etc while O'Shea was the national coach.

A lot of people claim that he had involvement and that he was essentially doing the equivalent of Andy Farrell's job and Nucifora's job at the same time. I have no idea how true it is to give O'Shea credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

A lot of the work to improve the systems in development came about because Steve Aboud was head of technical direction for players, coaches. He had been in that role here with IRFU for 7/8 years before that and worked with IRFU overall for about 20 years before going to Italy.

He was more responsible for improving the pathways than O Shea tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There shouldn't be, but he'll have plenty of supporters regardless. Erasmus's words have empowered and enabled this sort of behaviour. He's to blame.

He’s got a level of responsibility, but this stuff was happening before his outbursts. The individuals doing this are primarily responsible. And they should be nothing short of ashamed of themselves.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Erasmus had a big part to play in this, as explained in the interview... Once a high level coach is seen to do it it legitimises all the extremists and crazies.

World rugby hasnt come down anywhere near hard enough on erasmus' totally scumbag behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Erasmus is a global figure in rugby. I think his criticism of Barnes, as wrong and baseless as they are, empowers these scumbags and makes it open season on the referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

100% disagree. Erasmus knowingly and deliberately threw petrol on this particular fire. There may always have been these sort of things happening but Erasmus' rants multiplied them massively.

His stature in the game gives legitimacy to completely unacceptable comments and behaviour and he understands that completely, and still chooses to do it.

He's an absolute cancer on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Erasmus doesn't care, he wants this backlash so that in future refs might fear giving big decisions against SA knowing what the backlash will be.

World Rugby need to ban him for a long time.

• Advertisement

Folks, I don’t disagree that Rassie is a cancer on the game and has gotten away lightly. I don’t disagree that he has thrown fuel on the fire or that he has made things worse. But this sort of thing has been happening for some time. He’s making it worse, he’s legitimising it to a degree, but he isn’t the sole reason that it’s happening. And he can’t have complete responsibility over other individuals behaviour. It’s a massive jump to say that his whinging about referees performances are the reason referees wives are being directly threatened with sexual assault. The people behind this stuff are being in some way empowered by Rassie, but they’re still the ones doing it. And you can be sure they were doing it before Rassie opened his mouth too.

Advertisement