Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin - interesting for 15 year old

• 29-10-2022 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im going to Berlin with my 15 to daughter for 3 days.

Any recommendations or must-sees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TaliyahGarrett

Berlin with a teenager is a great idea! The city has a ton of history and cool things to see and do, and I think your daughter will find it interesting.

Berlin's history is fascinating, especially the Cold War era. The Berlin Wall is a must-see, and there are some great walking tours that tell the story of the city's division. I did a Bernauer Strasse walk that included a section of the preserved Wall and some crazy escape attempts - pretty wild stuff! Another cool option is the DDR Museum, which is an interactive look at life in East Germany.

Berlin isn't all about history though. There's a lot of cool modern stuff too. Check out the Fernsehturm (TV Tower) for panoramic views of the city (get your tickets online beforehand, the lines can be long). Potsdamer Platz is a modern square with lots of shops, cafes, and sometimes even street performers.

No trip to Berlin is complete without trying some Currywurst (sausage with ketchup and curry powder). It's a local favorite, and there are stands all over the city. For something a little different, grab a Döner Kebab (think pita bread stuffed with meat and veggies) - they're delicious and super affordable.

If your daughter needs a break from sightseeing, Tiergarten Park is a great place to relax and people-watch. There's even a zoo in the park if you're interested. Another cool option is Mauerpark on a Sunday - it's a giant flea market with food stalls, street performers, and a fun vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Esho

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Ugh. I see this is now two years old. I hope you enjoyed it, anyway.

Obviously it depends a lot on what you like to do.

Avoid Alexanderplatz like the plague. Centre yourself instead on Museum Island and Hackescher Market behind it. The Hackeschen ‘Hofe’, or courtyards, are cute and worth seeing.

The life of the city in Berlin is in the satellite neighbourhoods - Prenzlauer Berg to the North, Friedrichshain to the East and Kreuzberg to the South. You would be getting a very limited experience of Berlin if you didn’t explore some of those.

Prenzlauer Berg is the gentrified yuppy neighbourhood that every cool Berliner loves to hate, but it’s unquestionably the prettiest and still feels cool compared with anything in Ireland. A good route is from ‘Volkspark am Weinberg’, a small park, up the hill to Oderberger Strasse. The Sunday market in Mauer Park is the biggest in the city. There’s an Irish guy there who runs a very popular karaoke.

Kreuzberg is the original cool neighbourhood, associated with Turkish immigration. It’s rapidly gentrifying but still retains its countercultural vibe. Hanging out by the canal there is a quintessential Berlin experience. Nearby is Tempelhof airfield, a former airport now public park. You get to walk on the old runways and the sense of space is amazing. There’s a very lively atmosphere there - barbecues, rollerblading, kite-flying, dog parks, etc.

I always try to bring visitors to Teufelsberg. It’s a former US listening station on a hill to the west of the city with great views in all directions. It’s not really my cup of tea but graffiti artists have filled the industrial halls there with graffiti. But it’s a cool experience and feels very Berlin.

If you fancy a swim, the famous Stranbad Wannsee is about an hour from the city. There’s a real beach club vibe and everyone has their own little sun hut.

Carry cash!

Advertisement